• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you do?

8 posts in this topic

I know it is only 2.50 but is this kosher (he did have it in his auctions "for paypal add 5%").

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, 21 May 2003 1:03 PM

To: Billington, John (AU - Melb)

Subject: RE: E-bay 10 auctions

Hello John,

$50.00 Total

$52.50 if you use paypal

Thanks,

I treat this the same way I treat merchants who insist on 3% markup for credit card purchases by not doing business with them. They aren't supposed to pass on this cost to the consumer. The credit card/paypal/etc.. service is meant to draw more business to a seller naturally and they are supposed to pay it themselves.

If this starts a new trend, I will just blacklist sellers who do this, no biggy.

I offer buyers the option to use Paypal, but it's at their own expense. On more pricey items, I'd offer to split the cost. Btw, it's illegal in California so if you or the seller is in California. It's illegal, but I know of a bunch of eBay sellers that sur-charge including some well-known comic dealers.

Brian

In principle, this selller is a jackassz because he gave no warning of this surcharge. Although it isn't allowed in aucitons(ebay will cancel your listing if you state a surcharge in your description) most sellers who insist a surcharge will hint at it in some way; they'll say something like "If you plan on using paypal, please email before bidding" or something like that.

It's up to you. If it pisses you off too much in principle, then say something. Otherwise, it isn't worth the trouble especially if it means getting an item you want. Personally I would let it slide, pay the man, and grab a beer, as some things are just not worth the B.S.

I know it is only 2.50 but is this kosher (he did have it in his auctions "for paypal add 5%").

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, 21 May 2003 1:03 PM

To: Billington, John (AU - Melb)

Subject: RE: E-bay 10 auctions

Hello John,

$50.00 Total

$52.50 if you use paypal

Thanks,

He's also a insufficiently_thoughtful_person. He should simply make it part of his "handling" fee up front and nobody would say boo.