• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do these guys stay in business? RANT

24 posts in this topic

sign-rantpost.gif

I bought a lot off Ebay on April 2nd using the buy it now option. That day I paid via paypal and sent the seller a message that I wanted to be able to track it.

Seller had 100% and a member since Apr-10-03 in United States so I felt confident.

Yesterday ( 10 days after I purchased ) I wondered why I had not yet received an email confirming shipment and the tracking number so I sent an email asking for it. Today I receive the tracking number...guess what? He mailed it yesterday!!!

What has he been doing for the last 10 days?

I honestly have no clue how people like this actually stay in business.

Brutal.

The good news I guess, is that the lot is finally on the way. I shall have to be more patient.

Artboy99

I can attest to the slowness of some sellers...still waiting on a book that I paid for on 3/26! foreheadslap.gif

Theft of mail on route is becoming far more rampant than ever before in my opinion. In the last year alone I have had 3 parcels stolen while in transit. I have 3 senders that can prove they did in fact send me the item but I never did get it. My lesson learned? I only ship using a trackable form of shipment. If the seller will not use this form of sending I wont buy the item. I have had enough.

Artboy99

Theft of mail on route is becoming far more rampant than ever before in my opinion. In the last year alone I have had 3 parcels stolen while in transit. I have 3 senders that can prove they did in fact send me the item but I never did get it. My lesson learned? I only ship using a trackable form of shipment. If the seller will not use this form of sending I wont buy the item. I have had enough.

Artboy99

I just bought some books from a forum member in which he recieved the empty package back AFTER he shipped the books to my home and a message saying 'the contents were delivered' or some such nonsense. Needless to say, I never saw the books. Christo_pull_hair.gif

I have been on ebay for almost 8 years and have never had (out of 400+ transactions) a package missing.

The super fast sellers make it difficult for the slow sellers. I dont have a problem with waiting 2 weeks but getting my junk in 2-3 days is cloud9.gif

sign-rantpost.gif

I bought a lot off Ebay on April 2nd using the buy it now option. That day I paid via paypal and sent the seller a message that I wanted to be able to track it.

Seller had 100% and a member since Apr-10-03 in United States so I felt confident.

Yesterday ( 10 days after I purchased ) I wondered why I had not yet received an email confirming shipment and the tracking number so I sent an email asking for it. Today I receive the tracking number...guess what? He mailed it yesterday!!!

What has he been doing for the last 10 days?

I honestly have no clue how people like this actually stay in business.

Brutal.

The good news I guess, is that the lot is finally on the way. I shall have to be more patient.

Artboy99

Thats a little slow but I do not think its unacceptable. Most of the people selling on eBay are not selling their items as a business. Most items are just individuals wanting to sell there items and do not really care about a business reputation.

I have been on ebay for almost 8 years and have never had (out of 400+ transactions) a package missing.

The super fast sellers make it difficult for the slow sellers. I dont have a problem with waiting 2 weeks but getting my junk in 2-3 days is cloud9.gif

I used to be just like that. Then the dreaded delivery confirmation says "delivered" with no package. Thank goodness it was only $20 transaction. You better knock on some wood or something.

Let's be honest on these boards. Theft from postal workers is starting to become an issue. A few $15-20 transactions is the 'cost' of doing business I suppose but when those $1k books start being mysteriously 'deleivered' and 'confirmed' and both parties are clueless to where the book actually ended up...

Finecomics is right. Knock on wood.

Another thing, my postal workers have a pretty good idea that I'm a comic collector. I ship and recieve 5-8 packages a month in which the contents clearly elude to comic books (especially since my comic book shipping name is 'Lyria Comic Exchange' and the sender is name 'Silver Age Collectibles'. Any postal worker who may be a hobbyist themselves could easily 'misplace' your mail if they see an opportunity. This seems to be happening alot more frequently.

Don't know if this would help you or not, but a business associate of mine who sells coins has come up with a few ways to "not tip off the mailman" or FedEx guy or UPS lady. He began this practice religiously after having a FedEx overnight package arrive mysteriously late and missing about $50K of coins.

When addressing the label he either uses his name as the sender or the abbreviation of his business name (for example return address of Ray Hunt, blah blah blah street or WRC, blah blah blah street). He applies the same practice to the sender. Like in your case using your personal name or addressing it LCE instead of Lyria Comic Exchange. That does seem to help. Plus he now carries a rider on his business insurance policy to cover priority overnight shipments to anywhere in the US except New York City. Why New York City? His insurance company refuses to insure packages going there because of the high incidence of violent crime.

"Why New York City? His insurance company refuses to insure packages going there because of the high incidence of violent crime."

New York City has the lowest violent crime rate in the nation among big cities, so that's pretty bogus if true. Certain neighborhoods on the other hand have not really felt the rising tide of gentrification and the Giuliani/Bloomberg renaissance, but they're becoming few and far between when homes in East New York, formerly one of the worst places in the city, are going for $400K+.

Hey I'm just the messenger boy. Tell his insurance company that. He'd love to have them insure pkgs to NYC but they simply refuse. He always uses USPS express mail for anything going there as a result (fully insured, of course)

yeah, i've always wondered about those netflix cds.

I've been on Netflix for 4 years now.

When I lived on Long Island, my return center was somewhere in Suffolk County Long Island. I never had a return go missing.

Then, they switched my return center to Flushing Queens. I had 11 returns go missing in less than 5 months. And every single one of the movies that went missing was a new release. Old films, foreign stuff, etc never went missing... only new releases.

Netflix tried to suspend me, but I called them and spoke to a very friendly rep. He looked at my record and reinstated my membership and I didn't get charged a dime. He admitted that the Flushing facility had been experiencing some "unusual loss patterns."

Within a year, for whatever reason, my return center switched to an address in southern CT. I've never had another DVD go missing.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Still waiting on a lobby poster reprint from March 23. I have been emailing back and forth with this person. They still can't believe, I don't have it.

Does the mailman know where Fawcett City is?