• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I have NEVER seen any Frank Robbins Batman art. Does it exist?

13 posts in this topic

I did not like his work when I was younger, but I have come to appreciate it in the last 5 years or so. I like the way he spot his blacks, and I would love to even just look at a few of his Batman pages. I think his style was very appropriate for the moody, dark Batman atmosphere. Anyway, thats what makes a horse race!

Some of his art from that time does exist. I'm with otherworld, Frank is of the Caniff school and understood the use of blacks and negative space. I don't think that 70s Batman is his best stuff, but I am quite fond of some material I've seen from 40s/50s.

http://comics.heritageauctions.com/commo...;hdnSearch=true

Most of it exists- some ended up in the DC theft and is long buried- a lot of Robbins strip art was sold to a handful of overseas collectors when he retired years ago. My guess is that it is still buried iNEuropean collections.

People either hate or love Robbins. I'm not a fan of his comic book art but do enjoy his Johnny Hazard art (and have a few pieces on consignment for sale in my comicartfans gallery). There is an interview with Robbins i nthe Menomenee Falls gazette years ago. Basically they asked him what pencil he used. his answer was "pencil?" During a long period on Johnny Hazard he drew it completely in ink- incredible control - and made me appreciate the strip all the more.

Goerge Hagenauer

With all the stuff supposedly buried in collections, it sounds like I will have to be content to view Robbins Batman art (in the black and white format) in one of those thick 500 + page's B&W Showcase reprint book's that they recently started publishing. Assuming DC ever gets around to even reprinting those particular issues. Oh well.