• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1st Joker cover?

2 posts in this topic

There is some debate about which is the first Joker cover. Detective Comics 40 or 62. On Detective 40, it is taken from the second Joker story in Batman 1. This was orginally planned for 40. Since the story was changed to the first Clayface, the color was changed on the Joker's cosume to match it. So, I'm not sure which is correct. Please let me know what you think.

I think this was all resolved about ten years ago. At the time, Detective #40 had been considered the first Joker cover. Then someone came along and said "Uh, guys, that can't be the Joker. There isn't even a Joker story in that issue."

Everyone figured okay, it's a crappy rendering of Clayface, and for a short period, the focus shifted to Detective #62(I remember I quickly picked up three copies).

Then, there seemed to be some inconsistency in arrival marks on copies of Detective #62 and Batman #11, and for a time attention shifted to Batman #11.

Finally, someone else came along and said "Uh, guys, the Joker might not appear in Detective #40, but that image on the cover is practically a mirror image of a Joker panel from Batman #1.

So, I think we're back to where we started. Detective #40 is the first Joker cover, Detective #62 is the 2nd, and Batman #11 is the 3rd.

As I recall, Mark Wilson was heavily involved in all these discussions.