• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What A Bargain...

322 posts in this topic

I wonder what he charges for a neat micro-trim? Would anyone be surprised to find out if this [embarrassing lack of self control] was JE's partner in crime?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Not in the least . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Wouldn't shock me at all anymore. It's getting to the point where a positive step in the hobby (like shutting down PCS) is more shocking than a negative one.

One thing that's interesting is that much like PCS shutting down and Classic's Inc. getting that business, it seems Ewart gets shut down and Classic Inc. has all the 9.8s and consistent High Grades. Whether there is anything to that or not, I can't help but to have Ewart flash backs everytime I see his new batch of made to order goodies.

Look you would have to be a total insufficiently_thoughtful_person or just insanely naive to think that you dont have pressed books in your collection. especially if you are a Golden Age collector. They have been doing it with GA books since the late 90's. With CGC in the game it picked up tremendously in 2003.

I don't even collect GA books and I'll bet you I have pressed books mixed throughout my collection. It pizzes me off too. Thanks to 99% of sellers not disclosing it and CGC not noting it, we all have probably got a few unless we were the original owners of the books.

I'm curious if over say a period of 10 to 20 years if those pressed upgrades will hold up to an untouched book. Once pressed will the book always hold it's form or will the paper slightly ripple or bend back?

I wonder what he charges for a neat micro-trim? Would anyone be surprised to find out if this [embarrassing lack of self control] was JE's partner in crime?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Not in the least . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Wouldn't shock me at all anymore. It's getting to the point where a positive step in the hobby (like shutting down PCS) is more shocking than a negative one.

One thing that's interesting is that much like PCS shutting down and Classic's Inc. getting that business, it seems Ewart gets shut down and Classic Inc. has all the 9.8s and consistent High Grades. Whether there is anything to that or not, I can't help but to have Ewart flash backs everytime I see his new batch of made to order goodies.

Can I remind you that the "shutdown" of PCS was a "vapor shutdown"? Not a single operational detail of PCS's was ever made public. Not a single customer of PCS's has ever gone public. It's the funniest thing that now that it doesn't "exist" anymore.....it's apparently okay to refer to it.

And yes, Gene. Great point about the final burial of the concept that pressing isn't rampant. Nelson would obviously press your pants for you free too if you wandered by the office.

Red

It really does put a stigma on the virgin high grade books. My buying patterns have already changed in that I now must assume that other books will eventually be upgraded to compete against the truly untampered books. I now put my emphasis on old label books. Not a guarantee that they were not pressed but the likelihood is that the pressing game was not as rampant in years gone by. gossip.gif

Yep.....the old label strategy, as flawed as it is.....is about all we have left. I've been following that strategy for about two years now. Never trust a big number in a new label.

Red

pancaked.jpg

So let's discuss Matt's endeavor here...

He's taking otherwise pretty HG comics and is catering to the 9.6/9.8 collectors by destroying them, by pressing, and suggesting their relative grading score by CGC...

CGC doesn't care and promotes these pressing monstrosities, and yes they are Frankenbooks, by giving these uber grades

Please...somebody...tell me how this is good for the hobby?

And please spare me with the "we don't care care about pressing argument" because evidently enough collectors have to make PCS a dead enterprise for the selected dealers...

Jim

It really does put a stigma on the virgin high grade books. My buying patterns have already changed in that I now must assume that other books will eventually be upgraded to compete against the truly untampered books. I now put my emphasis on old label books. Not a guarantee that they were not pressed but the likelihood is that the pressing game was not as rampant in years gone by. gossip.gif

Yep.....the old label strategy, as flawed as it is.....is about all we have left. I've been following that strategy for about two years now. Never trust a big number in a new label.

Red

pancaked.jpg

except for the Sid's luncheonette collection - right????? grin.gif

i have lots of virgin HG SA marvels and DC's with the bulk being in new labels.... sumo.gif

CGC doesn't care and promotes these pressing monstrosities, and yes they are Frankenbooks, by giving these uber grades

Jim

uuhhhh, Jim -

"pressing monstrosities" and "Frankenbooks"???

isn't that just a bit much???

the reality is that we're probably talking about beautiful books somewhere in the 9.0 - 9.4 range that have a non color breaking crease, a wrinkle, an impact crease, a thumbnail indent, a wave, whatever.........

pressing out those types of defects (no matter how one might loathe pressing, in general) does not a Frankenbook make, IMHO.........

i don't profess to understand the processes that can be brought to bear, but i'm sure that the whole "pancake" perception is completely off base many times......

personally, i feel a lot better that CGC has eliminated their conflict of interest and left the pressing to others............

Holy Cap! Please tell me this book does not look pancaked!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Captain-America-164-...1QQcmdZViewItem

There are a bunch of these, with the inside pages virtually being squished out of the cover, like toothpaste from a tube. 893whatthe.gif

Nice "newstand fresh" arch on the spine, eh? 27_laughing.gif

Holy Cap! Please tell me this book does not look pancaked!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Captain-America-164-...1QQcmdZViewItem

There are a bunch of these, with the inside pages virtually being squished out of the cover, like toothpaste from a tube. 893whatthe.gif

Nice "newstand fresh" arch on the spine, eh? 27_laughing.gif

Un-f#$%@^%$-believable foreheadslap.gif

the reality is that we're probably talking about beautiful books somewhere in the 9.0 - 9.4 range that have a non color breaking crease, a wrinkle, an impact crease, a thumbnail indent, a wave, whatever.........

Have you forgotten about the Boy Comics #17 (4.0 to 9.0)?

Jim