• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So was the Daredevil film profitable?

18 posts in this topic

Hugely so, making $50 million just from the box office, which doesn't include merchandising or the forthcoming DVD sales:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=daredevil.htm

Let's hope the next one is more thoroughly humanistic and less techno-fast. I wish they'd get Bendis to write it and MAYBE Kevin Smith to direct it. Although he'd have to dramatically kiss some butt and demonstrate he can change his prior directing style to land it.

Even though I hated the movie, I might watch a sequel if two things happened:

1. If they can get Bendis to write it (as you mentioned), and it is based on the "Out" storyline.

2. No Ben Affleck

Chris

Just found another interesting page on Box Office Mojo's site--it's an overall list of all Marvel's films (including the old Howard the Duck), total profits, and a list of upcoming films and release dates:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/marvel.htm

The old conventional wisdom in Hollywood is that sequels do 20% less business than the prior film. Nice to see two Marvel movies breaking that mode of thinking.

Jim

The Hulk Uni. June 20, 2003

Spider-Man 2 Sony July 2, 2004

The Punisher Art. Summer 2004

Blade III NL August 2004

Fantastic Four Fox November 4, 2004

Iron Fist Art. 2004

Ghost Rider Sony 2004

Man-Thing Art. 2004

Deathlok Par. 2004/2005

Daredevil 2 Fox 2005

Dr. Strange Dim. 2005

Elektra Fox 2005

The Hulk 2 Uni. 2005

Iron Man NL 2005

X-Men 3 Fox May 5, 2006

Spider-Man 3 Sony July 2006

That list will have more flops than a John Stockton game.

Here's hoping that 80% of those are cancelled before production starts.

Just noticed something...Whoo-hoo! Punisher movie in 2004!! To movie execs: NEED SKULL ON CHEST!

Maybe the pic will be a blockbuster and shoot the Punisher mini-series back to late 1980s prices!!!

(On second thought, maybe I better go ahead and by that AMS 129)

actually Daredevil made a very small profit if any at all.

Assume for a minte that Boxoffice Mojo's numbers are correct:

$101 million domestic box office roughly translates to about $70 million dollars back to the studio. Theater deals are struck as such: 1st weekend studio 80%/theater 20% and then by the end of the run it is probably closer to 50/50. These are not concrete as each film and each theater chain differs (i.e. how badly does the theater want it, how badly does the studio need more screens, etc).

Then, you add the $45mil marketing costs which is a hard number. So, for the $123 million the studio spent, they are at a loss of $53million. Of course, this does not factor in any merchandising royalties (i.e. toys, calendars, soundtrack) and there is an amazing upside for DVD and pay per view. International is not factored in either but I don't think Daredevil was a big performer overseas since neither of the stars are draws outside the US.

When a studio spends this kind of money trying to make a blockbuster, you don't want to trickle into profit, you want to hit it in the first 10 days like X2.

Figure it this way. They have commited to a DD2 and an Elektra movie, so obviously it was profitable enough. I'm sure they would not be doing a sequel and a spin-off if they had taken a loss as you suggest they might have.

Figure it this way. They have commited to a DD2 and an Elektra movie, so obviously it was profitable enough. I'm sure they would not be doing a sequel and a spin-off if they had taken a loss as you suggest they might have.

Well, I'm not saying you are wrong as time will tell but when the studio I work for made Spawn, we "announced" that a sequel would come too. It is all part of the hype to drive more week 2 box office.