• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Got my Ewert-reviewed books back, plus two checks...

65 posts in this topic

I posted on 3/21 that I had spoken to Mr. Patel, and he stated that one of my books (JLA #53 in 9.4) was trimmed. I would be getting my other reviewed (and untrimmed) books returned, and I should be getting a check from Mr. Brulato within 30 business days. I remember when Mr. Patel said I had one trimmed book - I asked if I could guess which one - I guessed the Tales to Astonish #99 in 9.8 - he said no, it was the JLA.

Anyway, today I got my package from CGC with the other reviewed and re-holdered books (those deemed NOT trimmed). There were TWO trimmed books I did not receive back - the JLA #53, and the Tales to Astonish #99. In the package were two checks from CGC (the checks were on CGC's account, not from a third party) for my cost of the books that I paid Mr. Ewert. Also enclosed was a letter explaining the situation.

In the end, everything was handled to my satisfaction (as long as the checks clear!). CGC did not charge for return shipping, even though they returned the books in three different packages. It appears CGC is definitely acting as intermediary on taking these books off the market.

I wonder if my guessing the TtA made them look at the book even closer. Anyway, we'll never know, I suppose. I did look at the online database/census, and one 9.8 is listed for TtA #99. The online database was last updated on 4/3 - the date of Mr. Patel's letter was 4/4. I suppose that 9.8 will drop off on the next census.

Unfortunate situation for all. I was really pleased when I won that TtA off ebay - it was a highlight of my collection. No more...

Ok...I admit, I've been curious....whatever happened to Ewert...what's he doing NOW....how about Brulato....it appears CGC is "picking up" his tab...maybe not, but from what the poster relates, it looks like it....HAS ANY Forum member seen either party in the last 6 months???? Are these two just laying low for a year, hoping it all blows over??? They were both involved in at LEAST 6 figure sales for a few years now and are completely out!!! Hard to believe they got completely out.....any ideas, knowledge, facts....all comments welcome.

Where is the list of serial numbers for Ewert invoices again? I know I still have one, but might have forgotten about another being from Ewert and want to check my slabs.

What if your book is before the CGC check date? Seems kind of lame to re-sell a book from him without re-slabbing it. Would he really trim a 9.2 Giant-Size Super Villains (the book I know I got from him)? crazy.gif

...can I ask a stupid question?...and this may have been answered months ago and I missed it,...but,...what is CGC looking for now on the books that they weren't able to find the first time the books were subbed?... confused.gif

how about Brulato....it appears CGC is "picking up" his tab...maybe not, but from what the poster relates, it looks like it....

Isn't Brulato only offering refunds on books that he had a financial stake in? Maybe CGC is fronting the bill for refunds on books that were solely owned by Ewert. Just a guess.

I have to ask...why is an "independent" 3rd party grading service cutting checks for an eBay seller? Is it a "member-dealer" thing? Did the "letter explaining the situation" explain why? confused-smiley-013.gif

Hey, maybe eBay will cut you a check too, you know, since Ewert was an eBay "Power Seller" and used their services as well as CGC's. Never hurts to ask. insane.gif

How can anyone take this as good news. He sends his books in to be reviewed and gets a call saying only one of the books was indeed trimmed. He thinks its the 9.8 TTA, they say no its the 9.4 JLA. Then lo and behold a few weeks later its both those books that were trimmed. So that means that the trimming was missed when submitted by Ewert and was missed again when specificly resubmitted to detect suspected trimming and only caught when it was probably regraded a third time.

I don't see how this leads to more confidence in CGC.

...and I repeat once again,...

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

can I ask a stupid question?...and this may have been answered months ago and I missed it,...but,...what is CGC looking for now on the books that they weren't able to find the first time the books were subbed?...

...and I repeat once again,...

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

can I ask a stupid question?...and this may have been answered months ago and I missed it,...but,...what is CGC looking for now on the books that they weren't able to find the first time the books were subbed?...

Trimming? confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't believe CGC has ever said what tell-tale signs they are looking for now that they weren't looking for then, although I'm sure the "mystery trimmer" would like to know! 893naughty-thumb.gif

My understanding was that Ewert(or the mystery trimmer) had devised a method of disguising the trimming, and CGC can now see right through that disguise.

...Umm,...Ok,...is this a tool that S.T.A.R. labs or S.H.I.E.L.D. developed specifically do detect the work done by the mastermind?....keep herding that flock towards the edge of the cliff guys,....