• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Got my Ewert-reviewed books back, plus two checks...

65 posts in this topic

brulato sells them later to recoup some money as restored, and the new owner cracks them out of the slab and resubs them for a universal...voila

That's pure speculation. We don't know(at least yet) what's going to happen to the trimmed books.

My understanding was that Ewert(or the mystery trimmer) had devised a method of disguising the trimming, and CGC can now see right through that disguise.

I wouldn't be so sure of that based on the missed trim job on Schmell's JIM after resubbing a second time...

Jim

Here's another idea. What if CGC still can't detect the trimming, but as part of their agreement with Jason, took receipt of a list from him detailing the books he worked on. So.....if the books come in, they simply refer to the list, ie....CGC is simply waiting for the books to come back. No general alert sent out.

Now, I know that idea is pretty extreme, but again, theory fills the vacuum left by the lack of real information, and we've basically had zilch since last August.

REd

My understanding was that Ewert(or the mystery trimmer) had devised a method of disguising the trimming, and CGC can now see right through that disguise.

...Umm,...Ok,...is this a tool that S.T.A.R. labs or S.H.I.E.L.D. developed specifically do detect the work done by the mastermind?....keep herding that flock towards the edge of the cliff guys,....

No, that's ridiculous.

It was NASA.

Here's another idea. What if CGC still can't detect the trimming, but as part of their agreement with Jason, took receipt of a list from him detailing the books he worked on. So.....if the books come in, they simply refer to the list, ie....CGC is simply waiting for the books to come back. No general alert sent out.

Now, I know that idea is pretty extreme, but again, theory fills the vacuum left by the lack of real information, and we've basically had zilch since last August.

I really doubt that...unless he's stupid enough to actually admit to fraud...

Jim

REd

What agreement? And how would Jason benefit from revealing what books he trimmed/had trimmed, especially when such a document could be subject to subpoena by those filing a class action suit against him?

I'm not saying it's impossible. But it doesn't seem very logical.

I have to ask...why is an "independent" 3rd party grading service cutting checks for an eBay seller? Is it a "member-dealer" thing? Did the "letter explaining the situation" explain why? confused-smiley-013.gif

Hey, maybe eBay will cut you a check too, you know, since Ewert was an eBay "Power Seller" and used their services as well as CGC's. Never hurts to ask. insane.gif

I wonder the same thing, i could see them reimbursing the slabing costs, but why would they pay the buyer the total cost he paid for the book ? isnt that Ewert's bill ?

That's pure speculation. We don't know(at least yet) what's going to happen to the trimmed books.

Zipper posted on STL :

"With Steve Borock's permission, this is what he told me in a PM:

"We would never trash any comics, that would be worse than trimming them. As of this moment, we are just holding them. I would love to give them to an orphanage or something like that. Imagine being a little kid and getting a Green Lantern # 77 for free. Just not sure what to do with them yet, but they will never be destroyed by CGC."

I'm glad to hear that they are not being destroyed."

...Umm,...Ok,...is this a tool that S.T.A.R. labs or S.H.I.E.L.D. developed specifically do detect the work done by the mastermind?....keep herding that flock towards the edge of the cliff guys,....

No, that's ridiculous.

It was NASA.

...they probably developed something pretty high tech ,...like the eggdicator in Willie Wonka,...that would make sense,....

893scratchchin-thumb.gif...

ww_053.jpg

Zipper posted on STL : "With Steve Borock's permission, this is what he told me in a PM:

"We would never trash any comics, that would be worse than trimming them. As of this moment, we are just holding them. I would love to give them to an orphanage or something like that. Imagine being a little kid and getting a Green Lantern # 77 for free. Just not sure what to do with them yet, but they will never be destroyed by CGC."

"I'm glad to hear that they are not being destroyed."

If comics ever needed a trimmed stamp on the cover. these do. That way no one else is fleeced should these find their way back into circulation...

Jim

No, that's ridiculous.

It was NASA.

...they probably developed something pretty high tech ,...like the eggdicator in Willie Wonka,...that would make sense,....

ww_053.jpg

It's all very hush-hush, but word on the street is that Willy Wonka WAS involved.

If comics ever needed a trimmed stamp on the cover. these do. That way no one else is fleeced should these find their way back into circulation...

Jim

I really don't understand how it all works. Here the question I posted after Zipper's post (and still wonder about):

I'm glad too. But I'm not sure I understand why CGC is "holding them". So I'll ask. Since Mr. Brulato is cutting checks to the owners aren't the comics his? Returned for a refund?

In a way, in my thinking, CGC should reevaluate the books (to correct their mistake if one was made) and send them on to somebody. They're a 3rd party service entity. Right? They shouldn't have such a close relationship to a major dealer as to hold his inventory for him. Or accept comics from anyone to do anything with other than evaulate and grade them (for a fee).

If Mr. Brulato deducts the "loss" from his business or donates the items (value) from his business to a charity then shouldn't he account for what becomes of them.

What does "an independent 3rd party grading service" have to do with collecting, holding, disposing, donating, or distributing another party's tangible goods?

Just asking.

Maybe someone knows how it all fits with remaining "independent" of the marketplace, values, and sellers. confused-smiley-013.gif

No, that's ridiculous.

It was NASA.

ww_053.jpg

Veruca Salt!! One of my first great loves!! cloud9.gif

I thought CGC was buying the books,not reholdering them.

So you now have two books that were micro-trimmed and got your money back as well?

No, I did NOT get the trimmed books back - only the books that were checked and deemed NOT to have been trimmed.

How can anyone take this as good news. He sends his books in to be reviewed and gets a call saying only one of the books was indeed trimmed. He thinks its the 9.8 TTA, they say no its the 9.4 JLA. Then lo and behold a few weeks later its both those books that were trimmed. So that means that the trimming was missed when submitted by Ewert and was missed again when specificly resubmitted to detect suspected trimming and only caught when it was probably regraded a third time.

I don't see how this leads to more confidence in CGC.

Well, this is what happened - I was told on the phone only the JLA #53, then it turns out it's both the JLA #53 and the TtA #99. And what is interesting is that it was two separate checks - the JLA #53 check was dated 4/11, and the TtA check was dated 4/14. It does make you wonder if they gave that book third or fourth look instead of just a second, doesn't it?

No, I did NOT get the trimmed books back - only the books that were checked and deemed NOT to have been trimmed.

...right only the ones that the magic trimnocator shows as unrestored,...you see how it works is Newt waives it over the book and if the aura turns green it's unrestored,...but if the aura turns red then it gets put on the pile for the orphans and sick kids,... yeahok.gif

how about Brulato....it appears CGC is "picking up" his tab...maybe not, but from what the poster relates, it looks like it....

Isn't Brulato only offering refunds on books that he had a financial stake in? Maybe CGC is fronting the bill for refunds on books that were solely owned by Ewert. Just a guess.

I don't know. Regarding how or even if Brulato is paying/reimbursing CGC I obviously cannot comment on - I can say with 100% confidence the checks were from CGC, not Mr. Brulato or Mr. Ewert or anything else. The checks have the big "CGC" logo on them with their PO box address. These checks are on CGC's account.