• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I love Neal Adam's artwork but ...

55 posts in this topic

Some of you may have missed my point. I think his skills as a artist are awesome!. Those 3 new covers show he is the Neil Adams we all know and love. The new coloring and production stuff only ADD to that. I think WHAT he has chosen to draw is a let down. We aren't talking Superman 233 or Tomahawk 116 kind of stuff. He still kicks butt, I just want better stuff!

We don't get Neil Adams covers everyday, I am just dissapointed at these new ones. shy.gif

Some of you may have missed my point. I think his skills as a artist are awesome!. Those 3 new covers show he is the Neil Adams we all know and love. The new coloring and production stuff only ADD to that. I think WHAT he has chosen to draw is a let down. We aren't talking Superman 233 or Tomahawk 116 kind of stuff. He still kicks butt, I just want better stuff!

We don't get Neil Adams covers everyday, I am just dissapointed at these new ones. shy.gif

I agree, I was expecting dreck when I clicked the link to his new art.

But was actually surprised at what I saw. Better then I expected. And not every one of his previous efforst was Tomahowk 116, he had plenty of normal comic covers.With his cred you would have thought he had carte blanche in regards to artistic interpretation, or subject matter. Perhaps this IS what he wanted to do?

I will say...I have not really enjoyed alot of his recent efforts, overall. So I will grade on a curve.

Ze-

I think they are sent to all card-carrying members of the Collector's Society

Nah, I'm not a member and I got the email.

And "special friends" too? grin.gif

Please don't tell me they're wholesale spamming every board member 893whatthe.gif

I think they are sent to all card-carrying members of the Collector's Society

Nah, I'm not a member and I got the email.

Please don't tell me they're wholesale spamming every board member 893whatthe.gif

I'm not a CS member and I received the emails. confused-smiley-013.gif

I am not a CS member either and I have not purchased anything from Neal's site. I too have received the spam mail so one HAS to assume someone is either farming this forum for emails or CGC sold a list.

Neal's stuff is always great but I gotta admit I wasn't too fond of the composition on the All Star Superman cover.

Neals work still rocks, so does perez, JRJR is still good but he is not exactly on the top of his game. Now byrne I can't explain He was a good artist and now he isn't but all the other people mentioned still rock.

i have always thought jrjr was a hack who only got into the field because of his dad. I have yet to see anything worth reading from him. art is subjective tho smile.gif

The problem with the Superman Variant cover, to me is the coloring/shading. It just doesn't seem to work with Neal's style. You don't get to see the S crest on Supes Chest. His neck looks too bulgy. The background looks worse and worse, every time I see it. Then you get a nice big view of Supes back teeth. I am not a big fan of this cover but I am of the series(hence, I got a copy of this one).

The problem with the Superman Variant cover, to me is the coloring/shading. It just doesn't seem to work with Neal's style. You don't get to see the S crest on Supes Chest. His neck looks too bulgy. The background looks worse and worse, every time I see it. Then you get a nice big view of Supes back teeth. I am not a big fan of this cover but I am of the series(hence, I got a copy of this one).

confused-smiley-013.gif

I think the coloring/shading is cool. I can see the S crest on his chest. The neck looks like a neck that is being stressed/strained. The background looks awesome to me. And most people have teeth in their mouth that can be seen when it's opened (although I can't actually see his back teeth in that cover scan).

The issue isn't that you can see these things but in how they are done with the coloring and shading. Less Shadows on the next, darken the inside of the mouth a bit. etc. You really lose the Neal's line work on that one. The Green Lantern is a little better. But it is a goofy drawing for a goofy cover. So, in that fashion it works.

I am not a CS member either and I have not purchased anything from Neal's site. I too have received the spam mail so one HAS to assume someone is either farming this forum for emails or CGC sold a list.

gossip.gif CGC sent the spam.

On his site, Neal talks about how DC "screwed up" the cover in production. The color wasn't as he suggested and they made the image smaller.

edit: well, hell if i can find it now, but he said something like that somewhere on his site, with a pic of the original cover. confused-smiley-013.gif

It's all subjective and we just have differing opinions. Like I said, I think it's done well and I like it. I like the coloring and shading, the neck looks like it should if it was stressed/strained like it is, and I don't really see a problem with the mouth. Obviously everyone will never agree on any given cover, but I happen to like this one.

On his site, Neal talks about how DC "screwed up" the cover in production. The color wasn't as he suggested and they made the image smaller.

I'd like to see how he originally intended it. I really like the colors on this cover, so maybe his original intention was even better.

OK, time for my inner fanboy to show through a bit.

While not my personal cup of tea the Supes cover is very dynamic. More then I first gave it credit for. Trying to capture what it would be like to see Superman who is obviously in pain while fighting against what I assume is suns/planets all powerful gravitational pull is not an easy task.

( I have no idea what the storyline is)

Things are as they should be..it is a disturbing cover in the sense it shows Supes in a position we do not normally see him. Vulnerable , and in pain.

The light source bothers me a little,it it adds to the effect I suppose. I especially like the way his cape is used to show he is very forcefully being pulled against his will.

I think it might view better in person.

Ze-