• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post Your Marvel Bronze Age In-House Ads!

618 posts in this topic

This is one of my overall faves, and I think the ad design makes use of the cover very well. Then again, it's one of the biggest scam issues ever, as I don't believe Namor and Spidey ever actually fight... no more than any other issue anyway.

1201086-sub_mariner.jpg

I was going over this thread and saw this post.

If you've never read it, check out ASM #211.

Great Spidey/Namor fight in that one! (thumbs u

77906321824.211.gif

Just came across this thread and I am really enjoying it.

Had to reply to this post as "Origins" really was a special buy back then. I picked it up the year it came out and truly treasured it. I don't know how many times I read it but I always handled it with the greatest care. I have the paperback edition but would love to have picked up the hardcover edition (way out of my budget back then).

To quote Bob Hope, "thanks for the memories"....

When I was a little kid, I had absolutely no idea what FOOM was, and I thought the ads were terrible in conveying what the magazine actually was and that you were signing up for the Marvel fan club.

It was only after reading SA FOOM ads, which clearly explained what it was, what you got, and what you were subscribing to, that I figured it out.

Here's a very interesting ad from a personal perspective.

When I was a kid, I picked up Giant-Size X-Men #1 and absolutely loved it, but I had no idea where to get the next issue. I managed to pick up Giant-Size X-Men #2 (thinking it would continue the story), and while I did enjoy it and the Neal Adams art, I had no idea this was a reprint or what was going on, as this was about the old X-Men and not the new.

And then I came to the last page, with this ad right below the final panel. I looked and looked for X-men 95, but never found it, and my first issue off the stands was #96 and it took me years and years later until I finally grabbed a ratty copy of 95.

Oh yeah, and I admit clipping this ad out of GS X-Men #2 and I still have the copy with the hole in the last page.

144161.jpg.fcc9b5f8ea7ca2365f8da20bb7f5752a.jpg