• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mike Mayhew?

10 posts in this topic

I came across a piece, by Mike Matthew, that fits my collection focus. The piece is beautiful but is modern and I don't know a thing about the modern artists. Is he an up and comer, a fringe artist or the hottest thing since Todd M and Rob L. smile.gif

Any help would be appreciated.

Jim

I checked both of those sites, (thanks for the links), I was just trying to get a feel how people feel about his work. To me it is very beautiful, but it is modern and that is holding me back. I have a problem paying more for a modern cover, than I have for a vintage piece of the same subject matter.

Jim

I checked both of those sites, (thanks for the links), I was just trying to get a feel how people feel about his work. To me it is very beautiful, but it is modern and that is holding me back. I have a problem paying more for a modern cover, than I have for a vintage piece of the same subject matter.

I think Mayhew is very talented and does good work, but he is not without his critics. I have seen people accuse of him of being overly reliant, to say the least, on photoreferences and even tracing/lightboxing/swiping from magazines and whatnot (i.e., the same kind of criticism often heaped upon Greg Land). I do not follow his work closely enough to know how much of this is true (and, I'm not sure how much it would bother people anyway).

To date, he has done a lot of work on less popular characters (e.g., She-Hulk, Elektra, Vampirella, Mystique) and so he has not had the kind of exposure to a mass audience as if he had been the regular cover artist for Batman, ASM, X-Men, etc. As such, he still has some way to go before he establishes his place in comic art history and, until that happens, I would rather not pay thousands of dollars for one of his covers when there are good vintage pieces available for that amount that have withstood the test of time. For example, I inquired about one of his Vampirella covers a couple of years ago and the price I was quoted was more than what many Enrich Vampi covers from the original Warren series had been selling for at the time.

He is a very nice guy. He does use a lot of reference material, although he did the Mystique piece in my CAF gallery off the top of his head. I would love to own one of his painted pieces. Rob is absolutely right."Art is Art" if you avoid a piece because it isn't 30 years old then I feel you are missing out on some of the best stuff in comics to date. If it is a reluctance at the price I can somewhat understand.

-CW

Jim

I don't get this either. Art is art, and for me it's better to get quality pieces of art from guys who are not as establised, but really talented, as the price point tends to be lower and you get that "bang for your buck"..(though, maybe not in this case.)

That is the issue in this case, the piece I am looking at in this case is more expensive than an Andru page, or Romita Sr. piece of the same subject. (Obviously a Goblin piece smile.gif ) It is a cover though...so it has that going for it.

Jim