• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collector Society Certification Lookup

25 posts in this topic

Lets say that your average collector sends books in to be slabbed, now you can check to see what his books graded out at, now how exactly is this anyone else's business confused-smiley-013.gif

I would say to you that I don't think the average collector is having their submissions pawed through on the internet. The benefits of keeping the information accessible far outweight any drawbacks in my opinion.

Has anyone been approached by strangers who have targeted their books using this method? Is this a real problem?

CGC is just making sure that one more avenue of disclosure is shut down. They don't want a repeat of the Ewert outing to take place.

Taken in the wider context of what has been going on in the hobby, I think of this as less of a right-to-privacy issue than it is a license-to-scam issue.

Red

I don't like the new restricted access but to answer your question if it has been a problem, YES. I have had a couple of ebayers email me asking to sell them books that I didn't have listed for sale, because I had other books from the same invoice listed. They obviously looked up all the subs on that invoice and decided I should sell all the books submitted. One of these guys was being a real pr!ck about it too. It was extremely annoying, but I agree that this new feature is too restrictive and should be done away with.