• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heres the piece in question

64 posts in this topic

My collecting interests are mostly for pre-1970s art. A lot of 'Modern' art is unappealing/uninteresting to me. Mike Mayhew, may be considered 'unknown' at present, but from what little of his work I've seen - he's one of a handful of modern-day artists whose work actually excites me. Eric Powell's another artist on my list. hail.gif

I'd like to thank everybody who took their time in posting their thoughts on this subject, after careful consideration I passed on the cover. I had sent a PM to someone who offered me their valued opinion and I figured I share the gist with everyone.

" I just don't know where to draw the line. I only collect O/A that feature the Goblin, I have 5 pieces since I started in December. 2 Andru pieces from ASM #176 and 177, Web of Spidey Cover #67, and a DPS of Gobby and Spidey duking it out from Deadball #5. Do I really have to own every available piece that is out there? I've never heard of the artist or even that title until now (now I feel like I'm an expert on it) smile.gif Nor did I have any emotional tie to the piece, it just happened to feature Gobby. I went with the attitude that if I spent the 3k now, and something else came up for 3k, then that would be the most expendable piece to help finance a new piece. I also prefer pages, and covers that have the word balloons and title stat etc....this one was missing that. So I passed on it. I needed to show a little restraint, as it's something I rarely ever do smile.gif "

Thanks again, now if anybody else has any O/A featuring Gobby LMK. smile.gif

Jim

I also prefer pages, and covers that have the word balloons and title stat etc....

Interesting, as I'm the exact opposite. I like Covers and full splashes that are completely unobstructed, but I would guess that I'm the minority around here.

I'd like to thank everybody who took their time in posting their thoughts on this subject, after careful consideration I passed on the cover. I had sent a PM to someone who offered me their valued opinion and I figured I share the gist with everyone.

" I just don't know where to draw the line. I only collect O/A that feature the Goblin, I have 5 pieces since I started in December. 2 Andru pieces from ASM #176 and 177, Web of Spidey Cover #67, and a DPS of Gobby and Spidey duking it out from Deadball #5. Do I really have to own every available piece that is out there? I've never heard of the artist or even that title until now (now I feel like I'm an expert on it) smile.gif Nor did I have any emotional tie to the piece, it just happened to feature Gobby. I went with the attitude that if I spent the 3k now, and something else came up for 3k, then that would be the most expendable piece to help finance a new piece. I also prefer pages, and covers that have the word balloons and title stat etc....this one was missing that. So I passed on it. I needed to show a little restraint, as it's something I rarely ever do smile.gif "

Thanks again, now if anybody else has any O/A featuring Gobby LMK. smile.gif

Jim

So did you not pull the trigger on the Spidey Super Stories that you also asked opinions about? confused-smiley-013.gif

I also prefer pages, and covers that have the word balloons and title stat etc....

Interesting, as I'm the exact opposite. I like Covers and full splashes that are completely unobstructed, but I would guess that I'm the minority around here.

Maybe you are collecting the wrong sort of art. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifpoke2.gif

Maybe you are collecting the wrong sort of art. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifpoke2.gif

Nope......that's why I collect modern art. For me, it's all about the art itself......characters, historical significance, time period and nostalgia don't play a role in OA for me.

Nope......that's why I collect modern art. For me, it's all about the art itself......characters, historical significance, time period and nostalgia don't play a role in OA for me.

I'm kinda the same way in a sense,I collect the art by the artists that I like,but the problem is that it's costing a fortune. Christo_pull_hair.giffrustrated.gif

I'm kinda the same way in a sense,I collect the art by the artists that I like,but the problem is that it's costing a fortune. Christo_pull_hair.giffrustrated.gif

You just need to start liking artists that suck! 27_laughing.gif

Rhino: The seller and I got in a debate over $50 and I don't think he is willing to sell it to me unfortunately. You win some and you lose some.

Jim

I think I would have just eaten the 50 bucks. It's a relatively minor point and to gman someone for fifty bucks when you really want the piece seems silly.

I am getting the impression that you must not really have wanted the piece....which is fine.

I can't help it..only modern artist that I like that draws now is Ethan Van Sciver and Jim Lee but I want his X-Men stuff,I'll pass on $15000 batman cover/splashes that came out last month.

Hey I know how you feel. I like Kirby and Ditko. Their good stuff ain't cheap. Which is why it's been about 6 months since I picked up anything.

Rhino: The seller and I got in a debate over $50 and I don't think he is willing to sell it to me unfortunately. You win some and you lose some.

Jim

I think I would have just eaten the 50 bucks. It's a relatively minor point and to gman someone for fifty bucks when you really want the piece seems silly.

I am getting the impression that you must not really have wanted the piece....which is fine.

I was thinking the same thing. If you really want a piece that badly, you're not going to haggle over $50. Sounds like one of two things...a) you really didn't want the piece, or b) you don't feel comfortable yet with the OA market, and the price tags on the pieces you're looking at...and you're uncertain of exactly what you want

I can't help it..only modern artist that I like that draws now is Ethan Van Sciver and Jim Lee but I want his X-Men stuff,I'll pass on $15000 batman cover/splashes that came out last month.

Really? There are a few pencilers who are in league with Jim Lee..........David Finch is as good, and Ed Benes is on his way.(Just my opinion) There are others as well.

Like you, I'm a big fan of Jim Lee, Todd McFarlane(on Spidey) and Bolland is tight as well, but there are a lot of talented artists working today, though you wouldn't know it listening to the people on these boards. tongue.gif

Here's my list of new artists whose work I enjoy and whose OA I'd buy:

Tony Harris (very underappreciated)

John Cassaday (superstar in the making)

Bryan Hitch

Alex Maleev

Michael Lark

Frank Cho

There are more, these are just off the top of my head. Obviously, not all these guys are under-the-radar types waiting to be discovered, but you can still get most of their work at lower prices than established guys like Lee and McFarlane.

I like David Finch but I like Aphrodite IX Finch,can't seem to find any of that art from those books. John Cassaday simply doesn't do it for me,I know there is some good art being done out there now, but can't really get into the chick art. Ed Benes and all these other "west coast style guys" I can't get into,I call it the jim lee style which is what it is. Greg Land is very good..can't find his covers around. I'm thinking Miller Daredevil and my wallet is thinking hell no!

I'd love to have a frazetta anything but I can't see spending 20K for only his autograph 27_laughing.gif Here is a list of my favorite artists in no order.

Frazetta

Mcfarlane

Frank Miller

Dave Stevens

Brian Bolland

Jim Lee

Ethan Van Sciver

Berni Wrightson

Dale Keown

Neal Adams

Jack Kirby (Thor)

Alot of these guys I'll have to settle for a panel page since covers and splashes are almost out of the question,but what I'd like to do is get a page from each artist that made them famous. Miller (daredevil) Wrightson (Swamp Thing) Mcfarlane (Spider-man) You get the idea,so that will be my "theme" I can always use smaller stuff to get better stuff over time.These artists are what i'm going to concentrate on for the time being.

We've had threads about this, but here are some of my favorites :

McFarlane

Bolland

Miller

Adams

Infantino

Aparo

Buckler

Breyfogle

Lopez-Garcia

Deodato

Keown

Obviously there are alot of artists who's work i think is terrific, but they are either not well known or they are just now making a name for themselves.(Buzz and Josh Medors are two such people)

I tend to like examples of what they(the artists on my list) do more than their "style". I may love McFarlane's ASM stuff, but I can't stomach his Hulk...or anything else for that matter.