• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about brittle pages

19 posts in this topic

Pedigree has the first few issues of Captain America but they have brittle pages. Even though I have collected all eras, I have only run across this a few times. As far as I know, there is no way to correct this condition. Is that the case? Are there any restoration methods that will delay the continued deterioration? Can any restoration be performed at all ( the cover for instance) or is there too much a chance of damaging the comic further? Issue one is listed at about twice guide but I know there really is no guide for issues like this, but would not brittle pages really make it a poor investment?

Cap #1

It's my understanding that there are certain techniques that have had limited success in reconditioning brittle pages. However, it's not a common procedure and carries some risk.

But then, you'd end up with a Restored 1.0 for $10,000 plus the cost of resto. Not much of a deal, IMO.

I wouldn't touch a brittle, cover detached, water damaged 1.0 with a 10 foot pole.

isn't 10k a little pricey for cap #1 CGC 1.0?

I wonder what the R.O.I. would be on that down the road?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I thought so too, especially with brittle pages. But you can throw out the guide for those super key golden age books, the prices are all over the place.

Over in the GA section is a thread wherein CentaurMan bought a brittle All American #16 that `adamstrange' used to own over fifteen years ago. After CM described the condition, `adam' indicated that it sounded like very little had changed since the time he owned it.

In other words, "brittle" may be the end days of a comic, but they still have a number of days left in them.

All in all, I believe there's a big disconnect between what people perceive "brittle pages" to mean and what they actually are. More research needs to be done here ....

Alan

It's my understanding that there are certain techniques that have had limited success in reconditioning brittle pages. However, it's not a common procedure and carries some risk.

But then, you'd end up with a Restored 1.0 for $10,000 plus the cost of resto. Not much of a deal, IMO.

I wouldn't touch a brittle, cover detached, water damaged 1.0 with a 10 foot pole.

If I remember correctly, CGC doesn't give you a purple label if the restored grade is 2.5 or less...so tape that cover back on! wink.gif

All in all, I believe there's a big disconnect between what people perceive "brittle pages" to mean and what they actually are. More research needs to be done here ....

It's all a continuum. There are degrees of brittleness just as there are degrees of whiteness. Brittleness can range from very slight (where you can get a page corner to come off if you fold it back and forth a few times) to severe (where chunks fall off with even the gentlest handling). I think most of us (me anyway 27_laughing.gif) have a mental image of objectionable brittleness being books that cannot be handled in a reasonably gentle way without causing damage.

If I remember correctly, CGC doesn't give you a purple label if the restored grade is 2.5 or less...so tape that cover back on! wink.gif

I had a restored Sgt Fury #13 that was a 2.5 purple label

It's all a continuum. There are degrees of brittleness just as there are degrees of whiteness. Brittleness can range from very slight (where you can get a page corner to come off if you fold it back and forth a few times) to severe (where chunks fall off with even the gentlest handling). I think most of us (me anyway 27_laughing.gif) have a mental image of objectionable brittleness being books that cannot be handled in a reasonably gentle way without causing damage.

I agree. I do have books in all ranges of brittleness (which boarders in general tend to find objectionable as soon as the B word is mentioned) . In actuality, they range from books with rounded page corners where any slight impact will cause a chip to fall off (I have a Saint book like that) to books when upon pages being turned, the page is simply detaching from the spine (I have an Airboy I let a 8 year old read that's now more or less a collection of loose pages) to some pulps that, when flailed in the air or taken out of the mylar, have assorted pieces collect on the floor.

Some brittle books can be fully enjoyed if handled carefully. It just warrants a buyer to ask more specific questions.

Do you know what type of techniques?

Bleaching.

According to FFB, Tracey heft has had some success with this technique.

I've read more on the subject, but I can't recall where. Perhaps Tracey's website has more info.

I will never buy another book with really dark pages after a Superman #5 went brittle on me and disintegrated in my hands! I keep what is left of it in a mylar to remind myself how important it is never to make the same mistake again! IMO page quality is the most important factor when deciding whether to buy a book! You should read the article that the late Ernie Gerber wrote in his Photo Journal Guide on Storage and Preservation of Comic Books.

Bleaching.

According to FFB, Tracey heft has had some success with this technique.

I've read more on the subject, but I can't recall where. Perhaps Tracey's website has more info.

Thanks, that helps.

"degrees of brittleness" 27_laughing.gif That's a laugh-riot poke2.gif

screwy.gif It's not a continuum. It is a linear scale with White is at one end Brittle at the other sumo.gif

hi.gif

"degrees of brittleness" 27_laughing.gif That's a laugh-riot poke2.gif

screwy.gif It's not a continuum. It is a linear scale with White is at one end Brittle at the other sumo.gif

hi.gif

foreheadslap.gif