• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NICK KRONFELD

9 posts in this topic

He passed away many years ago. He was a nice kid but unfortunately he had a few problems.

West

I'm sorry to hear that. I had wondered what had happened to him.

I knew Nick from around 1990, when he was 12 years old, until 1997, when he went off the deep end and left the hobby. I knew his parents well and they would let me take him to the Boston and Hartford conventions. He was only 24 or so at the time of his passing. I have known many dealers in this hobby over the past 30 or so years I have been collecting, but Nick was right up there with the best. He may have been a kid, but you wouldn't know it by the way he wheeled and dealed in comic books.

The story about him and the bogus sports memorabilia sting is true. A brief version is that in 1997, the television show Hard Copy decided to do a show about signature fraud in the sports memorabilia hobby. Somehow they decided to set Nick up in a sting at a Hotel in Hartford. They caught him on tape passing off fake stuff. They were going to show the segment, but they forgot one small detail. Nick was only 17 at the time. I guess that stopped them in their tracks, and the segment was never shown. Another small detail was that his father was a high powered Washington attorney who worked for President Ford and probably others. I found out about the sting because he showed up at my house on the afternoon that he found out he had been stung. He was pale as a ghost and spent about two hours at my place talking about it. After that his life slowly spun out of control and he fell off the radar. Last I heard about him was in 1999 when his mom told me he had left home and was running with a bad crowd.

He wasn't a bad person, but went down a bad road. Way too young to have gotten as deep into the hobby as he did. A real shame.