• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LF: Schulz original Peanuts daily strip

35 posts in this topic

I know this isn't what we normally collect but I've been thinking for a while about wanting to purchase an original Peanuts daily strip. Would anyone here know of any persons, businesses, etc. that may have an original strip for sale? I posted this same thing to the list as well so hopefully I can get a lead from somewhere.

Thanks in advance.

There's a beautiful example ending tonight at www.lelands.com . It's a sports memorabilia site, so I was hoping I'd be able to snipe it cheap, but it's already nearing 10K. Go to the site and search for "Peanuts."

Thanks for the lead Solar. It's already at 10,717 which is out of my budget for a daily.

I just hope this isn't indicative of other Peanuts dailies as I've seen them for slightly less than half that but it seems more and more that they're selling for increased amounts close to and slightly over 10k. frown.gif

Charles Schultz's widow has been very active in buying up all the strips that show up for sale. I think she's a major factor in the increase in value for these strips.

Just a few years ago, there was an exhibition of PEANUTS strips at the Cartoon Museum of Art in San Francisco. After the exhibition, original strips were available for purchase to members for...$800.

Thanks for the lead Solar. It's already at 10,717 which is out of my budget for a daily.

I just hope this isn't indicative of other Peanuts dailies as I've seen them for slightly less than half that but it seems more and more that they're selling for increased amounts close to and slightly over 10k. frown.gif

Yeah, the last one I was watching on ebay went for $13K 893whatthe.gif

It's truly amazing how fast they have appreciated in the past several years. Even a year or 2 ago I was seeing them go for $5K on ebay and now they're routinely in the $10K range.

I shoulda bought more when they were cheap frown.gif

I'm on Lelands catalog list and was really hoping to win this. It got down to the last 2 days with no bids at 5K (Lelands is usually the opposite of ebay - stuff gets bids immediately). I was very disapointed when it blew up to the 10k range with a day left. Oh well.

I hope that it hit money like that because of the baseball theme. I don't care for baseball at all. Really I'm not fussy at all about who's in the strip or the theme or gag. I just would like to have a nice published piece of his art. Eventually since I'm not being picky I hope to get one for 5-7k. I hope anyways.

Thanks for the conversation about this though, I really enjoyed it.

try sports collectibles.

Yeah, but don't they have more fraud than just about any other hobby ? - I watched a documentry on collectors and Penny Marshall (Laverne and Shirley) is one of the most fanatical sport memorbilla collectors out there and she has a Kobe Bryant basketball with his "signature"....only when she met him, pointing at it, he says" that's not my signature"..... One can only imagine how much bogus material is out there...

Mike

Absolutely. I NEVER buy stuff off ebay just for that reason. Even still you need to be extremely careful and get documentation of provenance. There is a great story about a Bonds jersey on the Robert Edwards site that is a very interesting read. Sorry for the length but it is quite humorous.

web page

Subj: Lot #1071 Bonds Uniform Auction Description Ammendment

Date: 4/27/2006 1:52:08 AM Central Daylight Time

Please Note The Following Important Auction Description Addendum Regarding Authenticity of Barry Bonds Uniform Ensemble Lot #1071:

Robert Edward Auctions has had the following email communications with Barry Bonds’ agent regarding Lot #1071 (see below). In light of these very recent communications (in addition to one phone call), and at the request of our consignor, rather than withdrawing the uniform from the auction we have decided that it would be reasonable to make all bidders aware of the claims of Barry Bonds and his agent, though at this time we are not certain whether these claims are accurate, or possibly in error. Robert Edward Auctions is selling this lot, which has been thoroughly reviewed by our authenticators, as is. If new information provided by Barry Bonds or his agent (or any other party) should make the winning bidder uncomfortable in purchasing the Barry Bonds uniform represented by Lot #1071, Robert Edward Auctions will grant the winning bidder the right to not purchase the lot if we are informed in writing within thirty days of the close of the auction. Robert Edward Auctions pays all consignors within thirty days, and so we will allow this option to remain open on this lot for thirty days following the closing date of the auction. We have requested any and all documentation in support of the claims of Barry Bonds and his agent for review. If this information is received before auction closing day, it will be posted online and communicated to all bidders. If this information is received after auction closing day, it will be posted online and forwarded to the winning bidder. Robert Edward Auctions cannot personally state with certainty whether Barry Bonds did or did not wear this uniform in games. We also wish to make clear that we are in no way are questioning Mr. Bonds’ sincerity or credibility, but at the same time we are certain that this is a Barry Bonds uniform which, at the very least, is identical to those that he did wear during the 2001 season. It is our opinion that whether Barry Bonds did or did not wear this uniform in games, many collectors will consider this uniform to be extremely significant, historic, and valuable. Some collectors might even consider this uniform to have greater symbolism and significance to the career of one of baseball’s greatest and most controversial players. We want all bidders to be able to weigh and take into consideration all available information, including any uncertainty presented by Barry Bonds’ assertions, in bidding on this uniform. We appreciate your understanding of this unusual situation and our desire to amend the catalog description for this lot.

Sincerely,

Robert Edward Auctions, LLC

www.RobertEdwardAuctions.com

The following are the recent communications:

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Tuesday, April 25, 2006 8:47 AM

To: info@robertedwardauctions.com

Subject: Fake Bonds Uniform in your Auction

I am Barry Bonds agent, and this entire uniform is counterfeit (lot 1071).

I have this confirmation not only from Barry himself, but I have also seen the real items still in his possession in storage.

A fan brought this to our attention through IsItReal @BarryBonds.com, and we thought you’d like to know. We would welcome the opportunity to discuss the origins of these items with the consignor and yourself. We look forward to hearing from you

Jeff (JB) Bernstein

Pro Access, Inc.

Official Marketing Agency for Barry Bonds & KBI

www.BarryBonds.com

www.ProAccessInc.com

From: Robert Lifson [mailto:info@robertedwardauctions.com]

Sent: Tuesday, April 25, 2006 9:15 AM

To: 'jb@barrybonds.com'

Subject: FW: Fake Bonds Uniform in your Auction

Dear Mr. Bernstein,

This is certainly a very interesting communication.

It is my understanding that this uniform is 100% authentic, and that this was sold by Barry Bonds himself, and that Barry Bonds was paid for it in cash.

In light of your communication, I will do all that I can to get to the bottom of this. First I will forward this communication to MEARS, who did the authentication of this uniform for Robert Edward Auctions. Is there any possibility that Mr. Bonds is mistaken? Is it possible that he is in error? I am sure that Mr. Bonds has many items including uniforms from his career, but if he is claiming that he has them all and never sold one from this season, then clearly this is a criminal matter which I guarantee to you will be pursued. Please check with Barry on this, and in the meantime I will do some checking on my end. I would appreciate your getting back to me as soon as possible after checking with Barry, as our auction is scheduled to close on April 29, 2006, and therefore it is necessary for us to address this immediately. I assume that you personally are not a uniform expert, and I know that you personally have not examined this jersey, so I am curious as to exactly how you can determine that this uniform is a "fake" and a "counterfeit." It is possible that your feedback on this might be very helpful in helping us to determine how to address this situation. I look forward to hearing from you as soon as possible. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Robert Lifson

President

[Phone call by Mr. Bernstein to Robert Edward Auctions]

Sent: Tuesday, April 25, 2006 9:51 AM

To: 'jb@barrybonds.com'

Subject: FW: Fake Bonds Uniform in your Auction

Dear Mr. Bernstein,

I appreciate that you have told us that you are going to try to provide more information regarding the Bonds uniform we have up for auction, but am naturally concerned that you have indicated it might not be possible to do so until after the close of the auction. We have traced the sale of the uniform in 2001 directly to Mr. Steve Hoskins, who as I understand was at that time working directly with Barry Bonds selling various baseball memorabilia. In our conversation on the telephone, you told me that Barry Bonds claims that he wore only six uniforms in 2001, that he still has these uniforms (actually five of them, one is in the possession of his father), and that you believe that Mr. Hoskins was somehow sent "two or three" uniforms directly from the manufacturer that Barry Bonds denies wearing, and that Mr. Bonds also denies that it is his signature on the uniform items in this lot. Could you please verify the above in writing so that we can have documented what I believe you have told me on the telephone, so that we may have the information in writing which can allow us to properly address this unusual situation. As you know, our consignor paid $20,000 for this uniform, so he is naturally concerned, as is Robert Edward Auctions. This is unchartered territory for us, and we want to proceed in the most intelligent and responsible manner possible.

Sincerely,

Robert Lifson

Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 10:51 AM

To: 'Robert Lifson'

Subject: RE: Fake Bonds Uniform in your Auction

Everything you outlined in your email is indeed true, except that we believe the number to be higher than 2 or 3...

Let me talk to BB today after the game, and see how he wants to proceed.

Jeff (JB) Bernstein

Pro Access, Inc.

Official Marketing Agency for Barry Bonds & KBI

www.BarryBonds.com

www.ProAccessInc.com

We have had no further communication, and with the close of the auction just three days away, we believe it is important that we communicate with bidders about the issues detailed above as soon as possible regarding this lot, so that interested bidders will have the opportunity to give this information proper consideration.

Also, please note that Lot 1190, The 1995 Augusta National Golf Club Masters Jacket, has been withdrawn from the auction due to concerns relating to legal title which have come to our attention. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Sincerely,

Stephen,

So dispite the fact that Barry Bond's agent and Bonds himself are saying that the uniform is a fake, the auctioneer is adament that the uniform MIGHT be authentic and that he will proceed with the auction ???!!!! -

This is exactly what's wrong with the collectibles market as a whole....

Good luck thumbsup2.gif

I'd love to have the Sunday, but it's going to finish out of my price range for sure frown.gif

That Snoopy Sunday is PHENOMENAL!! I'm not even a fan, but it really is a great example. Gotta love the Snoopy grin in the last panel!