• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How I took a chance and got screwed again (or screwed myself)

22 posts in this topic

Hi all hi.gif

Well I decided to start collecting Skywald magazines. I've been debating if I should buy only CGC graded copies or try buying raws. Not being a rich man and hoping to get more bang for my dollar I took a chance bought some raws on Ebay the other night said to be VF/NM and NM. Well I knew better, but did it anyway, and just recieved them tonight. Dang, I got screwed again, I'm getting really tired of miss graded books and getting screwed. $#&%, I knew better Christo_pull_hair.gif

Sorry about the rant and posting this large scans, but needed to vent. Mad at the seller, mad at myself. 893whatthe.gif

I know this isn't the grading board but please help me out with you grade opinions, which I would really appreciate guys, thanks!

Nightmare 13 Front Cover (VF/NM)

Nightmare 13 Back Cover

Nightmare 17 Front Cover (NM)

Nightmare 17 Back Cover

Nightmare 20 Front Cover (NM)

Nightmare 20 Back Cover

Psycho 20 Front Cover (VF/NM)

Psycho 20 Back Cover

They average out to VF. Not a single one NM nor VF/NM. Also most of them are starting to Fox out. My condolences. I never believe a raw purchase is NM, unless I have dealt with the person am familiar with their grading or have seen the books before hand. Sorry, dude. sorry.gif

They average out to VF. Not a single one NM nor VF/NM. Also most of them are starting to Fox out. My condolences. I never believe a raw purchase is NM, unless I have dealt with the person am familiar with their grading or have seen the books before hand. Sorry, dude. sorry.gif

Hell VF is a stretch for 3 of them frustrated.gif

Thanks for feeling my pain.

Hi all hi.gif

Well I decided to start collecting Skywald magazines. I've been debating if I should buy only CGC graded copies or try buying raws. Not being a rich man and hoping to get more bang for my dollar I took a chance bought some raws on Ebay the other night said to be VF/NM and NM. Well I knew better, but did it anyway, and just recieved them tonight. Dang, I got screwed again, I'm getting really tired of miss graded books and getting screwed. God $#&% dam it, I knew better Christo_pull_hair.gif

Sorry about the rant and posting this large scans, but needed to vent. Mad at the seller, mad at myself. 893whatthe.gif

I know this isn't the grading board but please help me out with you grade opinions, which I would really appreciate guys, thanks!

Hey brother, man o' man my serious condolences flowerred.gif

I don't remember the sellers handle, but I was looking at the same books which I think you purchase here. If I recall that Nightmare 20 was stated as NM and he was asking $70 for it correct? I don't remember the other prices, but they were solid I do know. I asked for larger scans, but the guy never replied...always a watch out sign.

Well Jeff, this is what I'm seeing from your scans...

Nightmare 13

Front: FN/VF 7.0

Back: FN/VF 7.0

Total: 7.0 FN/VF

Nightmare 17

Front: VF- 7.5

Back: VF 8.0

Total: 7.5/8.0

Nightmare 20

Front: VF/NM 9.0 (Beautiful front!)

Back: VG/F 5.5 (Man this REALLY killed it)

Psycho 20

Front: VF+ 8.5/9.0

Back: VF+ 8.5/9.0

Total: 8.5 VF+

Looks like you averaged out a Week VF 8.0. But let me tell you. The front cover on that Psycho #20 and the Nightmare #20 especially are lookers. They look very attractive. It's just that back cover on the Nightmare #20 absolutely murdered it.

I don't know if this makes you feel any better, but those copies you got are probably nicer than 75% of the Skywalds out there... sorry.gif

They were tough books to keep in good shape. Those black back covers I think used cheap black ink, because they would attract prints as soon as they saw your hand. I've also noticed bad production cutting on some of them, which it looks like your Nightmare 20's rear cover has on it. Also very common is for the staples on these books to have tears. The books were thick, and with less durable paper, that area got really weak.

I say they are nice books, the only sucky part of the equation is that you probably paid for them as if they were "REALLY" nice books.

Lessons learned, always get big scans and ask for detailed descriptions of these guys. As for how the staples are and how the back covers look. For those are the most overlooked areas from people who do not know how to grade properly.

Welcome to the world of Skywald my friend...It will be a fulfilling journey. shy.gif

-bounty

It's not nice to "say" the GD word !!

But I agree, I have been burnt soooo many times on ebay. I estimate that maybe 1 in 15 sellers know how to grade. It can be depressing at times. I bid accordingly. I assume the book is a grade to 2 grades lower and bid to the lower grade.

Joe

I've given up buying Silver and/or Bronze Age on e-bay because of grading problems. And...I wasn't too kind to the sellers when mis-represented the books. 99% of the negs I've recieved over the years were retailiatory...I didn't care 'cause I've always been a buyer.

Not having any problems buying moderns.

Sorry this had to happen to you.

That sucks; who was the seller?

Hey, I some how missed your post, sorry flowerred.gif The Ebay ID is robertmcdivitt or COMIC BOOK PALACE. He has been good at answering my emails and will let me return the books or a partial refund.

Sincerely

Hey brother, man o' man my serious condolences flowerred.gif

I don't remember the sellers handle, but I was looking at the same books which I think you purchase here. If I recall that Nightmare 20 was stated as NM and he was asking $70 for it correct? I don't remember the other prices, but they were solid I do know. I asked for larger scans, but the guy never replied...always a watch out sign.

Well Jeff, this is what I'm seeing from your scans...

Nightmare 13

Front: FN/VF 7.0

Back: FN/VF 7.0

Nightmare 17

Front: VF- 7.5

Back: VF 8.0

Total: 7.5/8.0

Nightmare 20

Front: VF/NM 9.0 (Beautiful front!)

Back: VG/F 5.5 (Man this REALLY killed it)

Psycho 20

Front: VF+ 8.5/9.0

Back: VF+ 8.5/9.0

Total: 8.5 VF+

Looks like you averaged out a Week VF 8.0. But let me tell you. The front cover on that Psycho #20 and the Nightmare #20 especially are lookers. They look very attractive. It's just that back cover on the Nightmare #20 absolutely murdered it.

I don't know if this makes you feel any better, but those copies you got are probably nicer than 75% of the Skywalds out there... sorry.gif

They were tough books to keep in good shape. Those black back covers I think used cheap black ink, because they would attract prints as soon as they saw your hand. I've also noticed bad production cutting on some of them, which it looks like your Nightmare 20's rear cover has on it. Also very common is for the staples on these books to have tears. The books were thick, and with less durable paper, that area got really weak.

I say they are nice books, the only sucky part of the equation is that you probably paid for them as if they were "REALLY" nice books.

Lessons learned, always get big scans and ask for detailed descriptions of these guys. As for how the staples are and how the back covers look. For those are the most overlooked areas from people who do not know how to grade properly.

Welcome to the world of Skywald my friend...It will be a fulfilling journey. shy.gif

-bounty

Hey bounty thanks for your post thumbsup2.gif. Yes I did those are the books and I did pay the full guide prices screwy.gif. I've been offered the option to get a partial refund on these books and keep them. If you have time check back at this thread because I'm going to give them another look over and try and figure out what I'd pay for them. Any opinions are appreciated (from everyone).

Thanks thumbsup2.gif

Hey bounty thanks for your post thumbsup2.gif. Yes I did those are the books and I did pay the full guide prices screwy.gif. I've been offered the option to get a partial refund on these books and keep them. If you have time check back at this thread because I'm going to give them another look over and try and figure out what I'd pay for them. Any opinions are appreciated (from everyone).

Thanks thumbsup2.gif

$80-$100 for those 4 books seems reasonable... confused-smiley-013.gif

Thanks thumbsup2.gif

$80-$100 for those 4 books seems reasonable... confused-smiley-013.gif

I would go closer to $70 or $80, but I am cheap! insane.gif

I took a chance bought some raws on Ebay the other night said to be VF/NM and NM.

Jeff,

Did you have these scans before you bought? Or was this an impulse buy?

I think we have all done it, but just in case someone new is reading the boards, don't impulse buy!

Dan

I took a chance bought some raws on Ebay the other night said to be VF/NM and NM.

Jeff,

I think we have all done it, but just in case someone new is reading the boards, don't impulse buy!

Dan

Nothing wrong with having the occasional punt, just don’t pay top dollar when you do. Those are still nice books; $80 is a fair price if you can swing it. thumbsup2.gif

Jeff,

Dan

Well no I didn't have the scans, I made them after recieving them. It was pretty much an impulse buy. I've only collected EC comics for 20 plus years and I'm just now finishing selling what's left. I wanted to focus on collecting something else that's affordable in high grades, so to speak, and that I really liked. I recently found this magazine board and saw som Skywalds and Eerie pubs and it was love at first site. So to make a long story short I think any time you begin collecting something you get super excited, plus you just don't have the experience in what your collect yet and you make some less than great buys the first few months.

Well . . . I ended up getting a refund and keeping the books. It's definitly not a bargin but I can live with it instead of sending them back. I know I tend to be a little to easy, I'll get better.

I wanted to thank everyone so far in this magazine board, I hope to learn a lot from you guys thumbsup2.gif

We had a local comic con on Sunday and I picked up a number of Skywalds and Eerie pubs which I hope to get scanned and share with you guys this week.