• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Say buh-bye to my 9.6s...9.8s THANX POST OFFICE!

43 posts in this topic

.........you might laugh brian, but the issue he's talking about contained one of the first (if not THE first) wolverine vs. sabretooth covers............

.......i think the book itself (ok, yes i bought a few issues off the newstand... blush.gif ) was about a group of sibblings with mutant-like powers and had something to do with aliens..........it wasn't actually THAT bad............... shocked.gif

To tell you the truth, all I really know is that this one particular issue has Wolvie & Sabretooth in it (briefly) with both on the cover. I'll post a pic if I ever get the book abck.

They reminded me of a pre-school version of FF with four (or five) tots each brandishing a different power. The kicker here is imagining a parent's reaction to seeing this book with Sabretooth about to give one of the lil darlings a cute dis-embowling slaash!!

Awww, isn't that adorable. That nice man(?) is sharing his gift with the little poopsy!

SLASH RIP TEAR GORE

Mommy, I'm bleeding...everywhere! Read me a story.

Entertainment for the whole family!!! laugh.gif

Rick

I thought Wolverine #10 was the earliest?

I just checked my invoice:

Power Pack #27 12/86

Wolverine #10 08/89

BUT...Overstreet states that #10 is the 1st battle between the two (before Wolverine had his claws).

So chronologically, #27 came out first; but in Marvel's time-line history, #10 is first.

Interesting.

Sounds like Power Pack should be the more popular of the two...?

Rick

Ok well how about this then..the most a copy of Power Pack 27 has gone for on ebay in the past however long their auction thing goes back to currently..is 1 dollar, yes 1 dollar...which might be a bit high b/c a VF/NM copy didn't even sell at it's starting bid of 50 cents. I don't think you lost a whole lot with this issue.

Brian

It could be that collectors are ignorant to the fact of the Wolverine/Sabretooth cover appearance?

If it is in fact the first cover appearance and became common knowledge among collectors, then I'd bet the demand for the issue would increase a little.

Jim

BUT...Overstreet states that #10 is the 1st battle between the two (before Wolverine had his claws).

So chronologically, #27 came out first; but in Marvel's time-line history, #10 is first.

That's just stupid, and if you go by that illogical rule, then OS will need to update each and every time Marvel does a retcon. Which is daily, as it's going now.

Power Pack 27 is conceivably the first cover appearance of both Wolvie and Sabretooth, and it occurs in the middle of the big Mutant Massacre storyline (X-men 210-213) and at the same time as X-Men 212 with the big "Wolvie vs. Sabretooth" black cover.

63125057422.27.gif

The next month had one of my favorite non-Byrne X-Men covers, an Alan Davis masterpiece with a close-up of Wolvine and Sabretooth. That's the definitive one for me, plus, I wouldn't be caught dead with a Power Pack comic in my collection.

97792366288.213.gif

V for Vendetta #1 9.8

Squadron Supreme #1 9.6

Power Pack #27 9.8

As these are unique books, maybe we should get a neighbourhood eBay watch going and look out for these books - we can then lynch the ! grin.gif

I am truly sorry for your loss... As a former victim of a theft of high grade comics I know the anger and frustration you must be feeling. Hopefully with the number of people on this board who have ridiculous amounts of free time, your books will be recovered. As fast as posts go up about random issues on eBay, I am certain anyone here would be quick to post if any of these books resurfaced.

This situation does however point up a common mistake that all of us make regarding CGC shipments. Looking over your list it is quite clear that the books were worth substantially more than you listed on the invoice. While we all get caught off guard by the occasional lottery grade (I doubt Darth listed his Origin 1 as a $2000 book on his invoice), your shipment looks to have been worth more than what you listed just based on typical 'expected' grades. You covered them for $23.61 each and clearly every book on the list is worth more than $25, except possibly the Sandman 1.

We all tend to cheat down when listing values. "Guide is only $50 so even though I know this is at least a 9.4 and probably a 9.6, I'll list it as worth $50 on the invoice." I listed my DD 158 as a $60 copy last February, even though I felt certain it was a 9.4 or 9.6. When I called to get the grade and found it got a 9.8, I didn't sleep all that well the four days it took the book to get here. Should I have listed it at the $915 it fetched? Of course not, but I certainly should have put more than $60 on the invoice. The extra dollar or so I would have paid in insurance would have been worth some peace of mind.

Best of luck with the recovery. There's still a good chance of an honest recovery, and your posse's got your back if someone tries to fence them.

----

PS: Hey Darth, I just picked up a sweet copy of Power Pack 27. I had to bust it out of the holder but it should make your 9.8 prescreen easy. Let me know! tongue.gif

HEHEH! With some Darth hype, we'll spin PP 27 as the true Origin of Wolverine/First ever Wolvie vs Sabretoth and everyone will be clamoring for it!

BTW, I list cover price value for all new books ( came out that week or released within a month's time of submission) prescreened . If there has been some market activity on them, like the TF:Gen one # 1 incentive cover, I use Wizard guide.

Lighthouse,

Thanx for your kind words.

I absolutely have learned my lesson regarding insurance. I'll eat a couple extra bucks if it means getting a fairer amount for my books.

I've never been a big fan of insurance of any kind- paying for something that you hope doesn't happen; and if it never does, then you've lost money anyway- but in this situation it definitely makes sense percentage-wise.

Rick

---

PS: How much you want for that 9.8? smirk.giftongue.gifsmirk.giftongue.gif