• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Plano,Texas "JMV Comic Book Show" Sunday May 14,2006

13 posts in this topic

Just a friendly reminder from JMV Entertainment to check out the next...

Plano,Texas

JMV Comic Book Show

Sunday May 14,2006

Southfork Hotel

1600 N.Central Expressway (Hwy 75 North exit # 29 )

*note: the Southfork Hotel has their annual Mother's Day Brunch in their resturant (HINT - Take Mom or Wife out to eat at this upscale hotel resturant and after eating ...oh look a Comic Book Show ! What a surprise ! grin.gif )

www.southforkhotel.com

Hours:10am - 4pm Admission: $2.00

Early Buyers Admission: $5.00 ( 9am - 10am )

Buy - Sell - Trade:

Golden Age - Silver Age - Bronze Age - Modern Age Comics

Local Comic Artists / Publishers

(Sorry,No Star Wars Media guests or Cosplay Events)

Dealer Tables only $50.00 each (25 - 6ft available)

Win a $100.00 shopping spree drawing at 3:30pm

For more info contact:

JMV Entertainment

Po Box 151

Temple,Tx 76503

(254) 760 - 8682

info@jmventertainment.com

www.jmventertainment.com

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

Yet another fabulous non-event. There's no show and no notice of a cancellation.

Thanks for everything, sonofpromotrlessman, I feel sorry for anyone who planned to attend & drove down there for the non-event.

Really? Cancelled again? 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

I'll bet $5 that the one scheduled for June 4 in Houston gets cancelled as well. Have ANY of these shows actually happened?

I actually showed up at this Hotel and ended up calling the promoter because the show was cancelled. =(

He told me that the dealers got "cold feet" because it was Mother's Day

What he didn't realize is that there was a HUGE amount of people at the hotel doing nothing, but going to a Mother's Day brunch!

How many of those people would have wandered into a comic book show and maybe joined the hobby or found something they liked?

It would have been easy for people to find it also as the hotel is NOT very big at all.

I walked around HUGE crowds in ALL the halls.

very very disappointing.

I think I'm going to start promoting shows in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

Ever since the Bulldog Production shows ended we have yet to have a really GOOD convention in this area.

Ben's shows in Plano are always more sci-fi related and his draw is the B-list (or sometimes C-list) celebrities.

The problem with Ben's shows are you pay $10 to get in, and then you have to pay $10-30 PER autograph, if that's your thing and by the time you're done you have NOTHING left to spend in the show/con!

I like Ben, and have known him for years, as I use to sell toys at ALL of his shows. My first trade show was his second show that he did.

Unfortunately, I think the focus has changed with his shows over the past 5-10 years and you never really see any dealer stock getting moved.

Anyone looking to possibly partner with me to promote drop me a PM and we'll discuss it.

Buffyfan,

Sorry you got disappointed but as I told you the few dealers that I did have for that particular show got cold feet about setting up on Mothers Day in Plano because it was not going to be that many vendors.

I told them about the Mothers Day Brunch at the Southfork Hotel( www.southforkhotel.com ) and you saw for yourself how packed it was.

I keep tring to get "comic book" shows going here in Texas but most of the dealers who want to set up are toy collectible dealers or fantasy sword dealers.

What few comic book dealers there are in Texas tell me that a one day show is too small for them and they need a 2 - 3 day show with 10,000 people in attendance to make it worthwhile for them.

I need a minimum number of comic book dealers to set up otherwise it just cheaper for me as a promoter just to cancel the show than have a show with only one or two comic book dealers.

I did reschedule the Plano show for Sunday August 13,2006.

If your interested in setting up as a comic book dealer at this show or one of our other JMV Comic Book Shows please e-mail me at info@jmventertainment.com or go to our website at www.jmventertainment.com

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

Thanks

James Vaughn

JMV Entertainment

Really? Cancelled again? 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Have ANY of these shows actually happened?

Is this one of those running jokes that I never get? Like Monty Python with the dead parrott. Look ma! It's another bloody dead comic book show! on Mothers day!

Hey SONOFPROMOTERMAN!

Call me at 978-504-9068 and I can give you constructive advice if you really want to run a show. otherwise try collecting NASCAR stuff. Your'e putting comic book shows and promoters in a bad light with your shenanigans and upsetting your potential customers.

Ben's shows in Plano are always more sci-fi related and his draw is the B-list (or sometimes C-list) celebrities.

The problem with Ben's shows are you pay $10 to get in, and then you have to pay $10-30 PER autograph, if that's your thing and by the time you're done you have NOTHING left to spend in the show/con!

Hmmm lets see. Bernie Wrightson, Howard Chaykin, Tony Harris -- don't see any B or C-Listers. Too bad Paul Gulacy couldn't make it. BTW, the comic guys sign for free. Only the media guests make you pay.

Ben doesn't really have anything to do with the comic shows. Ben does the Sci-Fi shows (2 per year) and Mark Walters does the comic shows (3 per year). The comic shows are still pretty small (compaired to WW and some of the other corporate whore shows) but they are growing each time. The biggest weakness was the number of dealers. Hopefully that will pick up soon.

Buffyfan,

Sorry you got disappointed but as I told you the few dealers that I did have for that particular show got cold feet about setting up on Mothers Day in Plano because it was not going to be that many vendors.

893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

I need a minimum number of comic book dealers to set up otherwise it just cheaper for me as a promoter just to cancel the show than have a show with only one or two comic book dealers.

So, for the 500th time, STOP WASTING OUR TIME AND TELL PEOPLE THE SHOW IS CANCELED WHEN YOU CANCEL IT!!!!!!!

frustrated.giffrustrated.giffrustrated.giffrustrated.gif

Hmmm lets see. Bernie Wrightson, Howard Chaykin, Tony Harris -- don't see any B or C-Listers. Too bad Paul Gulacy couldn't make it. BTW, the comic guys sign for free. Only the media guests make you pay.

Ben doesn't really have anything to do with the comic shows. Ben does the Sci-Fi shows (2 per year) and Mark Walters does the comic shows (3 per year). The comic shows are still pretty small (compaired to WW and some of the other corporate whore shows) but they are growing each time. The biggest weakness was the number of dealers. Hopefully that will pick up soon.

Well, I'm not talking about the comic artists and such, I'm talking about the actors.

I stand by my statement that $10 admission is high for a show like that in this area.

$10 does seem pretty high for a one day minor comic show.

The shows are 2 days ($10/day). Mark usually has 10-15 comic guests (usually 2 or 3 big names), pannels, workshops, etc. To appeal to the sci-fi geeks there are usually 10 or more actors -- the usual suspects (B and C listers who are making the tour) and 1 or 2 big names.

I'm not saying the show is perfect but it would be very hard to do better without some major corp. funding.