• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hidden treasure - Happy Comics 33, Frazetta story

102 posts in this topic

So you were at your grandparents cabin on the lake in the summer of 1949. You were bored with the typical stuff - biking up and down the road, fishing, hanging out with your stupid cousins. You decided to hike down to the general store and see if they had any new comics.

You drop your 10 cents down on this:...

and flip through it. The first couple stories are pretty good, but you get to the last one and are blown away.

Fantastic -- thanks!

This and Scrooge's Everett story are why I think a "favorite golden age page" contest would be so interesting.

Jack

Thanks Scrooge, great story!

In the romance comics, any guy with a moustache is usually quite problematic. I suspected all along that Armand would turn out to be trouble. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thanks Scrooge, great story!

In the romance comics, any guy with a moustache is usually quite problematic. I suspected all along that Armand would turn out to be trouble. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think you're onto something because in the other Everett story I posted, the eel (Martin Mason) does sport a moustache as well 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1201464-LoveAdventures9Story4Page3s.jpg

the very first panel after the small splash page immediately triggered a Hal Foster/Prince Valiant response in me. so i was stunned to see the Prince who freakin WAS prince valiant (well, you get the idea).

That, and the fact that the girl is a dead-ringer, clothes, hair and jewelry, for Aleta, Prince Valiant's wife, as seen here in the last panel of the September 22, 1946 Sunday -

1218919-Aleta-September22-1946.jpg

Wow - that's really unbelievable!! 893whatthe.gif

Prince Valiant AND Aleta in the same story by Frazetta...............pretty cool, though....................

WOW! What a bizarre story!

Great Williamson art, of course -- even a token element reference to arsenic!

Is "Dave" modeled after Wally Wood? Page 4 panel 4 reminds me of photos I've seen of him.

Thanks for posting the story.

Jack

1221028-OutoftheNight1Story2Page4s.jpg