• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hidden treasure - Happy Comics 33, Frazetta story

102 posts in this topic

Apparently I was wrong about which story had Wood in it.

Warren Kremer [?] pencils, Lee Elias inks according to GCD -- again, a big grain of salt.

You've gotta wonder how Carl knew that there were little heads around his neck when there's no way he could see him. That wouldn't have been my first guess.

Jack

1221293-CoCSevenSkulls2-6.jpg

Vic Donahue pencils and inks according to GCD.

Nice black-background splash panel!

"Disintegrating top" -- heheheh. Why did the Groundings bother when pointing a finger worked just as well?

Jack

1221300-CoC6DoD1s.jpg

Warren Kremer [?] pencils, Lee Elias inks according to GCD -- again, a big grain of salt.

I forgot to mention -- Warren Kremer was the probable creator of Richie Rich and worked on Harvey's "funny kid" characters like Little Audrey and Casper. You can definitely see a resemblance to Joe Palooka, which he also drew, in this story.

Jack

bumpit.gif for October.

1221019-OutoftheNight1Story2s.jpg

October, I assume you saw this when I first posted it, right?

You asked for a good non-EC horror story. I have something slightly different as it is not from a horror book per se. It's from Weird Thrillers # 3 and by Bob Powell whose work I really like. My copy of Weird Thrillers # 3 is a real beater but here's the cover for reference.

1251684-WeirdThrillers3s.jpg

1251684-WeirdThrillers3Story1Page1s.jpg.756ce10a0a17311ed033dc36d99a0d1e.jpg

In passing, could anyone help me in IDing the artist on the cover feature. Here are a few pages to help with the ID - Splash -

1251684-WeirdThrillers3Story1Page1s.jpg

Ruben Moreira -- looks like he had help with the inking from one of the DC sci-fi regulars but I'm not sure which one.

Ruben Moreira -- looks like he had help with the inking from one of the DC sci-fi regulars but I'm not sure which one.

Thanks Adam. I must say I am pretty unfamiliar with his work, having to my knowledge only one other Moreira story in my collection; but, what I've seen, I've liked.

I refrained from mentioning when I posted that his underwater scene are reminiscent in a way of a more relaxed / warm Raboy. Am I correctly seeing similarity between these two guys' work?

Thanks Adam. I must say I am pretty unfamiliar with his work, having to my knowledge only one other Moreira story in my collection; but, what I've seen, I've liked.

I refrained from mentioning when I posted that his underwater scene are reminiscent in a way of a more relaxed / warm Raboy. Am I correctly seeing similarity between these two guys' work?

Moreira did most of his work at DC, but a lot of that was a year or two after the "Month" you collect. If you were look for Feb/Mar 55 you'd own lots of examples.

Here's a couple panels of Ruben's art.

I must admit that I've not noticed to much of a Raboy influence, but there may be a particular aspect of his art that you are seeing in Moreira.

1252582-MoreiraArt.jpg

1252582-MoreiraArt.jpg.60f70320e025884f8b5cf29c6e25fe68.jpg

I must admit that I've not noticed to much of a Raboy influence, but there may be a particular aspect of his art that you are seeing in Moreira.

It's clearly not evident in the panels you show. My mind was putting side by side these Raboy - Moreira images. I think it comes down to the slick inking making those figures look more similar.

1252820-RaboyMoreira.jpg

1252820-RaboyMoreira.jpg.ef9c8acb585284530b9b1f55cec62b24.jpg

It's clearly not evident in the panels you show. My mind was putting side by side these Raboy - Moreira images. I think it comes down to the slick inking making those figures look more similar.

Doesn`t seem that similar to me either. Moreira is nice, but at the end of the day it looks like standard DC SA house style, whereas the Raboy is simply transcendent.

Doesn`t seem that similar to me either. Moreira is nice, but at the end of the day it looks like standard DC SA house style, whereas the Raboy is simply transcendent.

You know what though ... Raboy for how masterful his drawing were still leaves me cold. It's not that his work is stiff, it isn't, but it's lifeless or sterile if you prefer. I don't know if it's due to a lack in the story-telling department but I always feel removed from the story when I read Raboy. Not that the Moreira story draws you in more than the average story. My comment is not longer trying to contrast Raboy to Moreira but is a general comment about Raboy.

You know what though ... Raboy for how masterful his drawing were still leaves me cold. It's not that his work is stiff, it isn't, but it's lifeless or sterile if you prefer. I don't know if it's due to a lack in the story-telling department but I always feel removed from the story when I read Raboy. Not that the Moreira story draws you in more than the average story. My comment is not longer trying to contrast Raboy to Moreira but is a general comment about Raboy.

Great cover artist: Raboy. There are, however, some very nice Moriera covers as you get into the 55-60 time period.

Storyteller: I'd take Moreira over Raboy for the reasons stated by Scrooge.