• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cerebus or Why didn't I collect this book all along.

39 posts in this topic

I read Cerebus from 57-up and I am generally alone in my continued reverence for the book, including the digressions into Wilde and Hemingway, the text pieces (don't skip those, they provide insight into both the characters and the author), the belated character parodies, the attitudes-called-misogyny, all that. While I don't agree with everything he said, I don't bother worrying about him not presenting another couple hundred issues of C&S storylines and constant comic character parodies, which he easily could have done. Instead of being disappointed in what he didn't do, I just enjoyed what he did do. I wasn't the same person 20 years on, so why should the book or the creator be?

You should collect the original issues, too. Lots of great stuff in the letters pages and editorials inside front cover. You can learn a lot about Sim's work for creator's rights and the independent publishing movement, business and self-employment in general, and the cast of weird characters who, before the Internet and before Sim stopped answering in print, had a lively community going on. Mike Bannon, Connie Lingus, M'Oak (who later created Thieves and Kings, IIRC), the original 24-Hour-Comics, con photos, the Gerhard last name contest, great fun. And only the first dozen or so cost much, so it's not really difficult except in the finding.

The only issues I 've read were the issues with the Silent Invasion character back-up stories (88-90?). Didn't do much for me. What is considered the high point of the series, the Marvel parody era?

what this thread should be telling you is that its 'high point' depends entirely on your definition. What's a high point? Circulation? Issues around #100. Humor? Early issues - for me #4. Complexity and thought provoking discussion? Later issues. Art? Probably around the middle of the run. Point is, this is a not a series where you're going to get an easy consensus on a high water mark IMO.

You should collect the original issues, too. Lots of great stuff in the letters pages and editorials inside front cover. You can learn a lot about Sim's work for creator's rights and the independent publishing movement, business and self-employment in general, and the cast of weird characters who, before the Internet and before Sim stopped answering in print, had a lively community going on. Mike Bannon, Connie Lingus, M'Oak (who later created Thieves and Kings, IIRC), the original 24-Hour-Comics, con photos, the Gerhard last name contest, great fun. And only the first dozen or so cost much, so it's not really difficult except in the finding.

Amen to that. The essays in the back of the book were sometimes more interesting to me than the comic itself. One thing is for sure, he is a brilliant mind.. those essays were damn impressive for something he was whipping out on a monthly basis in his 'spare' time.

What I intended when I created this thread, was express my chagrine at not having collected this in the first place. I knew about it in the late 80's but because it was an "Independent Publisher" I lumped it in with all the other drivel such as Valiant and Image(ok, Image and Valiant Fans please just cut me some slack). This is perhaps one of the best written books of the copper age. To me, it really represents what the copper age was all about.

i just wish they kept the Bi-Weekly run going. i was enjoying reading all the reprints, and the extras in the back were nice too

what this thread should be telling you is that its 'high point' depends entirely on your definition. What's a high point? Circulation? Issues around #100. Humor? Early issues - for me #4. Complexity and thought provoking discussion? Later issues. Art? Probably around the middle of the run. Point is, this is a not a series where you're going to get an easy consensus on a high water mark IMO.

Thanks - humor would probably be what I'd look at first. I should give this title a second look - of course I've been saying that about Flaming Carrot for a couple years now, and still haven't got around to it.

Amen to that. The essays in the back of the book were sometimes more interesting to me than the comic itself. One thing is for sure, he is a brilliant mind.. those essays were damn impressive for something he was whipping out on a monthly basis in his 'spare' time.

YES YES YES This is absolutely TRUE. Reading the phone books gives you the story, but so much of Cerebus is between the pages of the monthly comics. I don't think most people who have read the phone books realize this. There is an entire dialogue going on, flowing alongside the story. I encourage anyone who enjoys the comic to grab some back issues (they're not that expensive now that the series has ended) and read the whole things cover to cover. You will NOT be disappointed!

makepoint.gif

Absolutely.

Most comics you buy these days costs like five bucks, have utterly vapid dialogue, and take all of five minutes to read.

Those later cerebus issues you can buy for a couple bucks and spend an hour or two reading them between the comic and the essays. Damn good value and incredibly thought provoking stuff. smile.gif