• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman vs X3?

Who will take in more?!!!  

489 members have voted

1. 1. Who will take in more?!!!

313 posts in this topic

In the meantime, hardcore fans have the animated direct-to-dvd animated movies to look forward too.

"Hardcore" fans don't care about all these different multimedia versions of comic characters. All they care about is the comic. They could give a flying 893censored-thumb.gif about the movies, TV shows, video games, cartoons, statues, etc.

This will probably sound lame to some of you, but...

I saw "Monster House" the other day. I like the look of the rotoscoping process, and would love to see a Superman movie, or any superhero movie, that uses that process. It involves taking live-action images and "painting" over them. The production budget on Monster House was 75M. Considering the action scenes in the movie, I don't know why a superhero movie would be any more expensive.

The look of live-action superhero movies is too "real" for me. The costumes looks silly, the recognizable actors are distracting, the special effects are sometimes good, sometimes not. I prefer my superheroes drawn. That's how I was introduced to them, and there's a magical quality to comics that's missing in live-action films. But, I think a rotoscoped film might successfully translate that magical quality to the screen.

Just my two cents...

I concur, I prefer my Heroes drawn as well. It's how many of us we're first introduced to the characters.

However, we are living in the midst of the "moving pictures renaissance" and at the dawn of the Digital age. Many characters that just coudn't be properly introduced to people in film format even a decade ago, now they can be, in true to life form (for the most part).

The tremendous artistic talent it takes, to be a professional in the "CGI" biz in entertainment, guarantees it will only evolve further. I agree with many of your positions about the way Superhero films "look & feel"...sometimes it just cannot live up to our "comic book" translations. Yet, much of its been awesome, not perfect, but good enough to enjoy.

Marvel got in early, and just had the right properties (imo) to succeed, if done 75% right, they were going to turn nice profits. It was just wicked to SEE Spider-Man in a live action film, same with X-Men...Superman??? been there, although different, nothing new. Batman, kind of the same thing, but Batman's human interest storyline origin, kind makes the character an ageless classic. Still, it had a bit of the been there done that feel, for me at least.

It may simply come down to the fact that...that human element that Marvel characters we're created with, possibly sets them even further apart from their DC counter-parts...when translated to film??? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

just some thoughts... thumbsup2.gif

good points! lets hope they settle down and go Incredibles-style soon, or more realistic, or gritty, whichever. Incredibles looke pretty darn real to me except for the cartoonish people, and each generation of software gets better and better at it.

Watched Superman Returns last night...

I liked it better than some of you. It was a tad slow in parts but overall I think Singer did a good job recapturing the feel of the first two films. I also thought Roush was wonderful as Clark and did a great job mimicking Reeve's performance...and that was key to making this movie work in my opinion. Not as entertaining as X3 though...

Can't wait for the sequel...

Jim

I don't think Da Vinci Code will do as well as some think in this thread.

It all depends on how good the movie is, as it is with most of the flicks. Fanboys will still see X3 or Superman even if it blows, but quality movies like Da Vinci can make serious bank if they get great word of mouth. Depending on how it's received, it could post Forrest Gump or Terminal numbers.

Then again, if Pirates 2 or Cars delivers a high-quality movie, then it's no longer even a race.

I don't think you want it doing Terminal numbers. Terminal pulled less than $100 million domestic 893whatthe.gif. I agree though that either Da Vinci or Pirates 2 will take the summer. I think even with the R rating for Da Vinci the huge built in audience from the book will drive it pretty high, as long as the movie is good. Supes has an outside shot at the summer if it's really good and has cross-over appeal. X-Men will likely be entertaining but has virtually no shot at taking the summer as it has limited to no cross-over appeal.

DaVinci got a PG 13, but Pirates of the Caribean 2 will be the year's champ.....by a lot. popcorn.gif.

I wish I wouldn't have hedged a bit a month or so later after seeing the Superman and Pirates trailers back to back. foreheadslap.gif

Pirates will be no worse than #7 on the all-time chart, # 6 Spider-Man at $403 seems easily within reach, but that should be it.

So next summer we have Pirates 3, Sin City 2, Shrek 3, 28 Weeks Later, Evan Almighty, Ocean's 13, Spider Man 3, Fantastic Four 2, Harry Potter 5, Bourne 3, Rush Hour 3, Die Hard 4..

Am I forgetting any other original ideas? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'll go out on a limb and make my choice now.

"Underdog!"

Yep, it's as bad as you think it is. foreheadslap.gif

I wonder...

How many think "Snakes" will beat Supes Numbers???

Could it be possible?

Stranger thinks have happened...

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Snakes' box-office numbers are not as great as the on-line sites were predicting (Friday: 7,530,000, including Thursday preview numbers), so SOAP will do fine at the box office considering its budget, BUT...a fair amount of sites were predicting that SOAP would make anywhere from $30-40M this weekend (especially given the hype and buzz that surrounded SOAP). It will probably clear 20-24M this weekend, which is good, but a gross of 30-40M would indeed have been considered great and well above expectations.

Outside of the vocal group of SOAP fans who found themselves swept up with and contributing to the hype for this film, I doubt the average joe moviegoer seriously felt that this film had a clear/easy road towards grossing $100M. I am betting New Line will be giddy if SOAP makes around 60-80M, especially knowing that it will probably take-off on DVD (and become a midnight movie showing at many theaters for years to come). I have no desire to see SOAP (not because of any backlash from the films hype, but rather because I stay from seeing horror films, as they are usually not my cup of tea), but might rent it via Netflix.

Edited to add: Ouch, the heads of the snakes on the plane were cut off before they had a chance to show some bite at the box office. A little over 15M including Thursday previews...while New Line was not expecting the clearly overly optimistic 30-40M numbers being bandied about...they would have prefered to be the number one film with a gross in the low to mid 20s.

SOAP is like Serenity, lots of hype from the fanboy/geek set/person who spends all their time on the internet, but when it came time to proving their support by plunking down their hard-earned cash to support the film at the box office...well, it seems that we discover their are limits after-all to how far a fan will go to support a movie.

And this is the weekend in which Pirates crossed the 400M line, while Superman is still at least a few million away from 200M...yikes! I know that an article has come out with Warner's saying they are happy that they poached Singer from Fox, because in the long term they will be the winner (what with the X-Men franchise drying up), but their glee at grabbing Singer continues to sound/read like spin, because with the right budget, a Wolverine film could be a minor money-maker, and the DVD release of X3 and a boxed set with the trilogy is coming out right in time for the holidays, plus the films still have some life left on them via TV showings...so one suspects Fox is not crying into their beer that Singer will not be directing the next X related film.

Heck, I still chuckle that folks believe that Warner's is not incredibly dissapointed with Superman's performance. Given the films budget, I just cannot believe they are happy that the film has not even grossed as much as Batman Begins, when they were clearly hoping for AT LEAST X3 numbers, and really thought the film would do Spider-Man numbers (300+M). Amazing that Pirates has more than doubled Superman's gross...even if you thought Superman was the superior film, you have to admit that Pirates staying power at the box office this summer is super (heck, the new Hilary Duff film that just came out did not even match Pirates 5M gross).