• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman vs X3?

Who will take in more?!!!  

489 members have voted

1. 1. Who will take in more?!!!

313 posts in this topic

OMG, I didnt know DVC pulled a PG-13. That's fantastic. I hope it's a good movie.

MI-3? Pllluuze. I won't see another Tom Cruise film until he gets on (off?) medication.

Pirates? Let's just say they should have left it alone at one movie. The second one doesn't look that good.

I just saw MI III... guess what? it sucked.

Course, I may be in the minority. Its got all the explosions and sets and CGI and locations and quick cuttting and sound that boots you out of your seat.... but the story insults even a comicbook reader's imagination. I would have laughed out loud.... but anyway.... nothing makes a lot of sense, like how they always have the right gadget handy when needed... as well as technology that not only does not exist but never will.

Ill be curious what you guys think.

I think it will come down to Supes or Pirates. Here's the trailer for Pirates. Superman has a more universal appeal than X-Men even after 2 movies. It will post Spider-Man numbers, X-Men will not. Pirates or Supes will win BO. Da Vinci will get good numbers, but it will not get repeat viewers and many will wait for the DVD as it's intended audience is a little older than the standard summer crowd.

http://www.totaleclips.com/Player/Bounce.aspx?eclipid=e27307&bitrateid=242&vendorid=566

Do you realize that Da Vinci Code was Top 10 on the best seller list for TWO YEARS. It only recently came out in Paperback.

Yes I do. I also know the targeted audience for this type of movie is not going to see it twice and many wait for the DVD since it will come in about 4 months. It it is not a big screen movie. Box Office champ relies on repeat screenings.

nothing makes a lot of sense, like how they always have the right gadget handy when needed...

planning?

they are highly trained operatives after all.

one would think they'd do a bit of planning ahead of time.

I can't say I'm real excited about either of these films. The X3 trailer looks awful, in my opinion (and I'm a huge X-Fan). Superman just doesn't appeal to me for some reason. I loved the Christopher Reeves flicks, but I believe my disappointment in Batman Begins is leading me to believe that Superman Returns will also disappoint me.

I'm looking forward more to Spider-Man 3 and even MI3 (and I haven't even seen MI2).

nothing makes a lot of sense, like how they always have the right gadget handy when needed...

planning?

they are highly trained operatives after all.

one would think they'd do a bit of planning ahead of time.

uh I dont even remember the scene since I was laughing by then. But you know what I mean. Not just a laptop, or a GPS locator. specific, heavy, awkward stuff that theyd need to travel in an RV ...

aww, whatever, If you buy into all the spy stuff etc, then it works for ya. I just didnt see anything I couldnt anticipate cause Ive seen it before, or double-think etc. You know: "Is he really dead? Is he a good guy, a best buddy, or a turncoat?" Weve seen all this to many times already. No surprises except WHICH plot turn they picked out of tried and true ones that at ONE time were REAL surprise endings.

for instance. Cruise is captured. No way out. Strapped down. And, then, in one minute of frenetic action he's free and back with his crew. And at an hour into the movie theyve already pulled off two and a half heists. So what happens next? the crew says: okay. the thing is Shanghai on the 34th floor in a safe guarded 36 hours a day etc etc. and off they go to Shanghai for capers #3 and 4. I laughed out loud and took a long walk to the concession counters.

Just checked boxofficemojo.com and just the production of Superman was 250 million dollars. Add to that the cost of advertising and Superman will have to be 300 million dollar mega hit just to break even. With $250 million in special effects it should be a hell of a show. Mission Impossible 3 only cost $150 million in production as a comparison. No figures on X-men 3 yet.

Just checked boxofficemojo.com and just the production of Superman was 250 million dollars. Add to that the cost of advertising and Superman will have to be 300 million dollar mega hit just to break even. With $250 million in special effects it should be a hell of a show. Mission Impossible 3 only cost $150 million in production as a comparison. No figures on X-men 3 yet.

make that 600 million. Studios only get 50% of ticket sales. But Im sutre the licensing will kick in a bit more..

make that 600 million. <bold>Studios only get 50% of ticket sales.</bold> But Im sutre the licensing will kick in a bit more..

15 years ago this was about the average because movies had "legs" and would make money over a longer period of time, but today studios make considerably more. Most summer blockbusters make the majority of their money in the first few weeks of release when studios are raking in up to 90% of ticket sales.

Were those figures just including what this particular movie costs since Singer has been at the helm, or all the guaranteed paid salaries of past directors,actors, and writers associated with the return of Superman? Before this movie even began, it was in the hole.

Tom Hanks in the Da Vinci Code for highest grossing movie this summer

Not so fast...

the critics have started bashing this flick right off bat...

could it be that Tom Hanks is in a High Buget stinker??

This was the only movie that I thought could really top X3 or Supes...

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Both comic book movies have a slight chance, but the smart money is on Pirates 2, Cars, MI3, or Da Vinci Code to take the crown.

Superman and X3 will likely be in the Top 5-10 of the year though.

gotta agree w/ JC here. My $ is on Pirates.

Pirates will gross 250-300 domestically and easily take the box office crown. It appeals to a much larger demographic than Supes. Chicks will come in droves for Depp and Bloom but not for the boy scout. Males 13-75 will show up for Keira Knightley too. A Superman movie just won't carry the same weight that it did in 1978 no matter how good it is.

Pirates will gross 250-300 domestically and easily take the box office crown. It appeals to a much larger demographic than Supes. Chicks will come in droves for Depp and Bloom but not for the boy scout. Males 13-75 will show up for Keira Knightley too. A Superman movie just won't carry the same weight that it did in 1978 no matter how good it is.

Though I have to agree that Pirates will probably top them both due to the broader fan base possibilities I have to disagree with your assessment of the Supes movie. I think it will probably carry as much weight if not more due to the older fans of Supes will come out to check out a "good" Superman movie after waiting for so long. I think you'll get a broader base because of the fans of the original plus the all around appeal of Superman. Then of course you have the Smallville fans flocking to see it. I mean, think in comparison to the original Batman movie of 1989. Before then you had the campy Batman of the 60's stuck in the US collective memory. Somewhat similiar we have people remembering the terrible Superman sequels ( #1 and #2 of course being the only good ones). They'll want to see this just to see a good one again.

I dont see Pirates having that much staying power.... I couldnt make it all the way thru the first one, but I cmmend them for making a successful film out of an amusement ride. But my guess is the novelty has worn off... Superman has been done lots of time, but not for 30 years has a fresh take been done, If done right, theres something about Supes that touches a nerve with people. And we could sure use a hero about now.

but if the movie is poorly written, acted and whatnot, hold your nose.