• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What to buy new comic or old comics?

16 posts in this topic

I haven't had this problem in years but I recently started buying comics off of the rack again for some light reading and it's taking money away from my silver age collecting. Now I have enough money that I can do both and it's not a problem but I wanted to know if everyone had to chose what would they do? The high end collectibility of gold, silver and bronze age comics or buying their favorite tiltles every month.

Ericc123

You may be right but hey, aren't there more Bronze Age comics out there than the modern stuff being printing now? Hmmmmm?

grin.gif

And if so, where will that leave us in, oh about 20 years or so?

Something I just thought of.

Apparently, getting Amazing Spidermans 400 and up aren't all that easy. (Well, that's what I heard on these threads anyway.) But the older stuff? No problem.

...not that easy in CGC super high grades...but how many have been sent in as yet? sounds like more "census-blindness" to me....as if th current census EQUALS total existing copies. Why would anyone send those books in for grading????

It all depends on what your purpose is in buying the books. Similar to a post which I just did on the Modern board - buying Modern books is just fine if your primary reason is for READING purposes. If your primary purpose is for investing, be aware of all the false hype and speculation since virtually all so-called HOT books will end up back at cover price within a couple of years. This will include books such as the Ultimate line, Orgins, Transformers, ASM #400 up, and whatever the latest fad happens to be.

My advice to you is to stay away from any books which Wizard deems to be hot since their only purpose appears to be inflicting short-term hype (unrealistice high prices) and long-term despair (unsellable books). This is clearly evident by looking back on their hot books from the 90's such as the Valiant books, Death of Superman, Spider-Man, Image books, bad girl books, etc. If you are into the CGC 9.8+ books, remember that the only people interested in them are pure speculators who are in it only for the label, and have absolutely no interest in the actual book. These books will fall the FASTEST and the HARDEST when the time comes.

Bottom-line: buy Modern books if you want to READ them. If you want long-term investment PLUS reading, buy the older books since they are truly tougher to find IN GRADE and will be able to retain or even appreciate in value relative to the Modern books. The more vintage, the better (ie. Gold > Silver > Bronze > Modern)!

Just my own point of view! makepoint.gif

If you really like the new stuff, I would stick to TPB's, as they end up being cheaper, you get the whole story at once, and usually any worthwhile stuff is made into a TPB.

Personally, I avoid getting into new stuff, because I'm more of a collector than a reader, and I prefer putting my money into high grade Silver/Bronze.

buy Modern books if you want to READ them.

The most obvious and excellent advice for anyone out there. I buy modern books to read only. This is why i'm puzzled when dealers try to pawn off books like 30 days of night, and Y-the last man for anything over guide. Yeah, it has a low print run but wait until the hype bubble bursts like it usually always does for modern books. If you're a little patient with moderns you can always get stuff for way below cover.

I maintain a pull list at the comic shop though even with only 10% off. I don't read that many titles to begin with so it's hard for me to justify mail order.

Another interesting trend i've noticed..people are paying more attention to modern book writers now. HOT writers like alan moore who have done runs in otherwise crappy series (like supreme) have their books sell briskly above guide on ebay. This means that people are paying attention to the quality of the work over basic collectibility when assessing value. It's a positive step in the right direction.

Eric - I found myself in the same situation but I couldn't afford to do both! I lost the moderns (with the exceptions of my subscriptions) and am happier for it. the stories and the collectablity of the old stuff is much more fun to me.

DAM

I used to have the same problem with deciding what to go with... I cut down to only 11 or so each month... but I'd miss it if I didn't read anything new... for collectability... I'd go with silver/bronze and buy what you like for reading for modern stuff.

definetely old.....the older stuff is wayyyyyy better than the new stuff....plus, you can just decide by comparing the price...$20 for like 4 new comics...or $20 for 80 books from the quarter bins....its a no brainer. stooges.gif

I still buy moderns, there are some nice story lines comming out, but i have started building my Bronze and silver age collection. Especially since you can find some classic charecters like ASM, Hulk, Ghost Rider, Batman, etc...for , asan earlier post mentioned, about the current modern cover price.

I have to admit, this board has made me a little more frugal and has redeerected my spending twords more solid books, not necesarily higher grade books, but I'm not picking up Wolverine Snickt and getting a Ghost Rider v.1 10 for $5.00 in decent shape.

I'm much happier with the diversaty of my collection recentlly as opposed to a few months ago when i first wondered in here.

Bronze back issues cost the same as the cover price of a new comic.

That's a good point, and if your goal is collecting and the 70/80's were part of your childhood, there's no better deal out there now. I personally don't buy any Modern books anymore, because they don't have the same bang for the buck as the older books.

I buy a lot of new material... I always have. Usually 5-10 new books/week. Then again I've always been more of a reader than a collector. I just happen to save and preserve every new book I buy.

With a collection of approx. 40,000 books I really don't want to spend much time looking for back issues, as I have pretty much all of the books that I want for my collection, and I can be patient about the ones that I don't have. But I do find it's actually easier to wait and find older books cheap at conventions.

And most bronze age books are easier to find than most of the books published in the last five years. There are cases of DD 181's floating around, while there are only a fraction of that number of DD Vol. 2 #1's around.

I see more copies of Daredevil Vol. 1 #1 around than I do #380.

Kev