• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what are the best ultimates ....read/art

7 posts in this topic

Im not into new books at all but I want to start a few new runs........

I see ultimates 1-9 ?and then ultimate wars 1-4??(what are these about?)....what about venom? how are the stories and art?

if there are any others out there that are good reads just let me know

the 'ultimate' line is set in a seperate universe from the other Marvel books, it is a 'real world' look at the characters and shows how they would operate, look like etc if they really did exist.

'The Ultimates' is a real world Avengers - superb, best 'ultimate' book out there. 'Ultimate War' is a 3 part cross over between 'The Utlimates' and 'Ultimate X-Men', a stand alone story, very good, except you have to read the conclusion in 'Ultimate X-Men'...

'The Ultimates' is also notoriously late, sometimes 2 months between issues, but its well worth the wait.

Hope this helps.

For the Ultimates I would recommend a few trades - I got the USM 1-4 and Ultimates 1. USM 1 is awesome. Ultimates I didn't like all that much. I actually stopped buying USM off the shelf because the trades are so seamless but the issues leave you hanging!

DAM

Actually, the USM hardcovers are really nice, the oversize hardcovers are a fun format. Although the Bryan Hitch art of the Ultimates is good, I think the Mark Millar stuff is some of the most over rated writing out right now. Why everyone praises this book is beyond me. It's generally shock development for the same of the shock to the point where it almost becomes borderline predictable and then it loses its impact. I think USM is definitely the best book going...

Actually, the USM hardcovers are really nice, the oversize hardcovers are a fun format. Although the Bryan Hitch art of the Ultimates is good, I think the Mark Millar stuff is some of the most over rated writing out right now. Why everyone praises this book is beyond me. It's generally shock development for the same of the shock to the point where it almost becomes borderline predictable and then it loses its impact. I think USM is definitely the best book going...

Agreed--I just picked up USM hardcover 2 today. It was perhaps the perfect Saturday: a full afternoon of Spidey and DD reading, bought a car for my wife, my son behaved perfectly and hugged me over and over, pizza for supper, wife brought home Braum's ice cream, got email from Darth confirming the shipment of my USM #1 White Variant, got my USM 33 9.8 and 34-39 NM in AWESOME packaging and GORGEOUS condition in the mail (to replace those from arcrellic who sent to me in the now-infamous "inter-office-not-my-fault-your-books-are-trashed" envelope)....

It's all just worked out.

Dunno what this has to do with which Ultimate title is best, but I wanted to share.

'The Ultimates' is also notoriously late, sometimes 2 months between issues

Thats being generous, try 4 months.

Its a great book, but how do they expect to keep the readers with such an eratic output? 893frustrated.gif