• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Justice #4 Art Available.

25 posts in this topic

for those prices i would rather buy a Kirby!!!

-Hart

I have to agree with you. If I had 10k to spend, I could think of lots of other pieces I would buy. His stuff is very,very nice, but I just couldn't do it.

What do you guys think Ross' stuff will do longterm? During the Kingdom Come era, I thought he could do no wrong, but since then, he has softened a bit in my opinion.

Also, Sal Abbinanti (I assume that he is Ross' Rep) has started a classified galley on CAF. Here's the link http://www.comicartfans.com/ClassifiedsByCat.asp?GCat=12185 .

Actually, I believe Sal is sort of Repping Alex. Also, if I am not mistaken Sal is Alex' model for Captain Marvel.

Since these are painted, I think that is the main factor in price. His pencil and prelims still go for a pretty decent price as well.

Long term, I think his prices will stay steady unless something really freaky happens to trash his rep. Wouldn't be surprised, after Alex' death, that these end up going for much more. Would help if he had more commercial non-comic worth out there though.

Actually, I believe Sal is sort of Repping Alex.

He is absolutely Alex's rep and has been for years. He mans the tables for AlexRossArt at shows, he answers all the emails from the site, and he is repping Somine Bianchi now too.

Chris

Happy B-day comix4fun!!! I just noticed the cake besides your name. Thanks for the info.

Arghh, busted!...

Thanks...I am a Cinco De Mayo baby.

Chris

How is the cheapest piece $1,000? With $1,000 I could buy a nice Perez piece and buy all of the filller issues for my TOS run. So I'd have a kick art piece and a bunch of comics...instead of just one not so great art piece.

I don't think I'll own a Ross piece for a long time.

Down the line I feel that Ross's work will retain and even exceed it's current pricing (on some of his choice pieces)...especially since there are core Ross colectors out there. These are the folks that will keep his stuff up there in value.

Personally, I don't like painted pieces...give me a nice black & white and I'll be on cloud nine! cloud9.gif

I guess you would call me a traditionalist of sorts...but when I think of comic art...I think of india inked splashed on paper, not watercolor, gouache or acrylics.

For example:

sh3.jpg

-Hart

I think, comparing pen and ink to paint is too darn difficult. You have to appreciate pen and ink on its own merits. I have seen some of Alex' pen work, though it was Bruce Tim style. I would love to see a more refined ink piece by him. We know he can paint but can he ink? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Down the line I feel that Ross's work will retain and even exceed it's current pricing (on some of his choice pieces)...

I dunno...the man's output is prodigious...how many pages, splashes and covers are going to come out of this Justice project alone, with the inevitable HC, TPB, Ultimate edition, promo and unpublished art, etc. still to come afterwards? There's already a truckload of 4-figure pieces that he's done out there from previous projects and, from what I can see, it's not always easy to sell those since there are so many around (and who necessarily wants to pay $3K-$5K for anything from Earth X, anyway?) Even among his 5-figure choice pieces, it seems like he's creating more and more $10K+ pieces all the time if his website is any indication.

That's not a slam on his art or prices or anything; I wouldn't call myself a big Ross fan but I do generally like his work and am picking up this new Justice series. I'm just wondering from a value perspective whether there are/will be enough high rollers out there to pay up for the hundreds of thousands of dollars of new art that he is cranking out at a rapid pace. confused-smiley-013.gif

Down the line I feel that Ross's work will retain and even exceed it's current pricing (on some of his choice pieces)...

I dunno...the man's output is prodigious...how many pages, splashes and covers are going to come out of this Justice project alone, with the inevitable HC, TPB, Ultimate edition, promo and unpublished art, etc. still to come afterwards? There's already a truckload of 4-figure pieces that he's done out there from previous projects and, from what I can see, it's not always easy to sell those since there are so many around (and who necessarily wants to pay $3K-$5K for anything from Earth X, anyway?) Even among his 5-figure choice pieces, it seems like he's creating more and more $10K+ pieces all the time if his website is any indication.

That's not a slam on his art or prices or anything; I wouldn't call myself a big Ross fan but I do generally like his work and am picking up this new Justice series. I'm just wondering from a value perspective whether there are/will be enough high rollers out there to pay up for the hundreds of thousands of dollars of new art that he is cranking out at a rapid pace. confused-smiley-013.gif

I think the ones that will hold the best price will be complete Ross Artwork not his painting over someone elses pencils. Though, I got to say, I really wish I had the 10K in hand so I could pick up his JSA 73 cover. He has the cover up for Power of Hope but it really doesn't show off Captain Marvel like that JSA 73. I would love to own a page out of Justice #5. You guys know the one. grin.gif He will probably try to sell that one for 10K+ as well.

I agree with Hart on this one..for the price of some of those Ross pieces I could get a nice Kirby Thor Splash or Cover or even a Neal Adams batman cover.I never cared for Alex Ross's art,He does a good job but I'm not into watercolor painting or his giant ego.