• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-MEN "God Loves Man Kills"

13 posts in this topic

Are u referring to part 1 of the X-men graphic novel that came out over 10 yrs ago or the newer part 2 X-treme X-men storyline? Probably the latter? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

They just released a reprint of the older graphic novel a few weeks ago when X2 hit the cinema, so it could be that

It's one of my favorite X-Men stories. CC was still at the top of his game. Nice Brent Anderson art, too.

It was originally released as part of the "Marvel Graphic Novel" series. The same series that launched The New Mutants and killed Captain Marvel among other things.

I appreciate the input, but i do have a question regarding this book...If it's a reprint or re-release why does the publishing paragraph say "Volume 1, Issue 1, First Printing"

I'm gona try and add the scan of the book so we all know what i'm talking about.

589a8aeb00b79_177950-xmengod.jpg.1d97a71bb55f143fd04c48ea446c417d.jpg

Thanks for pointing out this was the book the 2nd movie was based on. When I saw the movie, Stryker was familiar to me but I couldn't remember where I read about him.

Well, I took out my copy and read it again for the first time. This was one violent comic for it's time wasn't it? I mean a couple of kids get killed and strung up on a swing set?

893whatthe.gifPretty graphic.

Was a good read, especially after having seen the movie. Interesting similarities in both plots. Knowing Magneto as I do, his inter-action with the X-Men did to me seem out-of-character. To that end, it was handled much better in the movie. Also, the way he tortured one of Stryker's "puritans" while the rest of the X-Men just stood and watched also seemed a bit out-of-character for the team. Normally one of them jumps in and starts a "there must be a better way" speech.

(These graphic novels are tough to read. There's just no give to the cover, especially after 20 years. )

I just read "God Loves, Man Kills II" in one sitting today (X-Treme X-Men #25-30).

I give it a solid "A" grade. A few parts were a little cumbersome/confusing, but overall, I would say it's among the best X-Men stories since the early to mid-1980s. The -script is very tight and has a very cinematic structure. The art is solid and there is some nice, creative use of panels by Kordey.

Best of all, it wasn't bogged down by Millar-like efforts to be cooler-than-thou hip or Morrison-like efforts to throw in as many weird & different elements as possible for the sole sake of being weird and different (e.g., secondary mutations, Weapon Plus, the Stepford Cuckoos, telepathic adultery, etc.) The story had almost a throw-back appeal to Claremont's writing of the X-Men circa 1983-1984, before the "Fall of the Mutants" storyline ushered in a new era of weird, overly complex and downright lame storylines.

I would highly, highly recommend this storyline as a read. I was fearful that it was going to be a schlocky re-tread attempt to cash in on X2, but Claremont crafted a new, exciting original story in its own right.

Gene

I.

Best of all, it wasn't bogged down by Millar-like efforts to be cooler-than-thou hip or Morrison-like efforts to throw in as many weird & different elements as possible for the sole sake of being weird and different (e.g., secondary mutations, Weapon Plus, the Stepford Cuckoos, telepathic adultery, etc.)

good point. Morrison and Millar are the spicey flavor of the moment...but their extreme in your face twist can only go so far. Of course it was hard to argue with the "telepathic adultery" scenes.