• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shipping Profiteering BS!

186 posts in this topic

I snagged a book and it had a shipping price of $15 for a CGC book.

At first I didn't have much of a problem with it, until I found out that the package

was shipped GROUND!

To me paying $15 to ship a book (even from CA to NC) shouldn't be more than

$9 insured!

frustrated.gif

I regularly pay double the shipping charge.

Today i received a lithograph, paid $10 shipping, actual cost $3.95, and the 3 harsh folds (top,center and bottom) were free ! , im gonna try my hardest to make that my last ebay purchase.

Shipping profiteering will be the end of EBay, mark my words. Not only do people get ticked and leave EBay, but EBay also does not collect FV fees from shipping, so is left holding the bag there as well.

I recently needed a HDTV cable for my game cart, and went on EBay, finding a ton of listings at 99-cents, but with S&H charges of between $15-$30. And those were US charges, wiith a surcharge for Canadian or Worldwide shipments.

So instead, I hit the local EB and got it for less than the S&H.

These auctions have been listed over and over and over, with no one biting, but these scammers must hook a few suckers here and there to make it worth their while. It does make EBay look like the unregulated joke that it is, and if that was my first experience with EBay, it would definitely be the last.

Bizarre shipping charges are just becoming stupid these days, and we're actually lucky that most comics are from private sellers, rather than these horrific "large EBay resellers" who are only in the business of profiting from insane shipping charges. And worst of all, they're killing it for the ethical sellers by driving online business elsewhere.

I snagged a book and it had a shipping price of $15 for a CGC book.

At first I didn't have much of a problem with it, until I found out that the package

was shipped GROUND!

To me paying $15 to ship a book (even from CA to NC) shouldn't be more than

$9 insured!

frustrated.gif

893whatthe.gif

I can ship a slab via Air Mail, UK to USA, for that amount!

I won a nm- slabbed FF #192 for like $5.00 then the guy charged me $18.00 to ship to Canada, I will avoid sellers with high shipping. I started to buy most of my comics here on the boards.

Air-mail parcel post for a slabbed book (with insurance) runs me around $15... confused-smiley-013.gif

Air-mail parcel post for a slabbed book (with insurance) runs me around $15... confused-smiley-013.gif

Ah yes, insurance for a $5 book. 27_laughing.gif

I bet the seller spent $5-$7 for standard Air Lettermail and pocketed the rest.

I won a nm- slabbed FF #192 for like $5.00 then the guy charged me $18.00 to ship to Canada, I will avoid sellers with high shipping. I started to buy most of my comics here on the boards.

The last couple of slabs I sent to Canada cost $17.65 for shipping.

I should have added the shipping cost 7.95! I would never ask for insurance on a $5.00 book screwy.gif

Shipping profiteering will be the end of EBay, mark my words. Not only do people get ticked and leave EBay, but EBay also does not collect FV fees from shipping, so is left holding the bag there as well.

This isn't entirely true - they get their 2.9% on the total amount if the buyer pays with Paypal.

If you have CGC'd comics for $5 I'll buy them all from you makepoint.gif

Sounds like the call of the Shipping Profiteer. foreheadslap.gif

If you don't want to sell a book for $5, then spend the $$$ and use a reserve or set a higher starting bid. Just don't be a scammer and and inflate shipping just to cover for your own stupidity.

I should have added the shipping cost 7.95! I would never ask for insurance on a $5.00 book screwy.gif

Right....< $10 if uninsured. thumbsup2.gif

Sounds like the call of the Shipping Profiteer. foreheadslap.gif

If you don't want to sell a book for $5, then spend the $$$ and use a reserve or set a higher starting bid. Just don't be a scammer and and inflate shipping just to cover for your own stupidity.

What are you talking about? You stated that the guys slabbed comic was worth $5.00. All I said was that if you have slabbed comics for $5.00 I'll buy them all from you..... makepoint.gif

This isn't entirely true - they get their 2.9% on the total amount if the buyer pays with Paypal.

True, which is probably why EBay hasn't cracked down on it yet, and probably won't until it's too late.

It used to be that "EBay water cooler talk" centered around what kind of cool deals you got, but now it's more tuned to scams, rip-offs, shipping profiteers, and laughable auction listings.

Fewer and fewer people seem to be actually using EBay to buy anything but the odd collectible, at least from what I see.

Fewer and fewer people seem to be actually buying, at least from what I see.

Business is down...guaranteed. That's why eBay is trying to break into different countries...the model is in the maturation phase and they need to expand to keep the shareholders happy.

I was selling CGC books for close that amount recently... confused-smiley-013.gif

Do you have any left popcorn.gif

You can try to buy them on the next ComicLink focussed auction confused-smiley-013.gif