• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Multiple comics hoards

84 posts in this topic

"and I have a nice little stockpile of around 18 copies of TOS 49 in varying grades..".

Ooooh - I love that book!

I don't know if it's a hoard but I have about 8 copies of Howard the Duck #1. I never bought more than 10 of anything. I guess Wolverine mini-series #1-4 isn't bad. Daredevil #158 - 181.

The first comic I ever thought about buying more than one of was: Conan #1. I saw about 12 fresh copies on the shelves (not wire rack) and only bought the one. I made up for that mistake by buying multiples of Shazam #1 instead! makepoint.gif

Witchblade 1 - 12 copies

Witchblade 25 specklefoil - 8 copies

Witchblade 1 ACE - 10 copies

Witchblade 1 Fan - 15 copies

Bazooka Jules 2 - 15 copies

10th muse #2 Rena Mero Nude Tower Records Variant - 35 copies

USM 1 red cover - 30 copies

USM 1 white cover - 20 copies

USM 1 DF cover - 25 copies

All USM after #1 - 10 copies

All UXM - 5 copies

All Transformers (Dreamwave) - 5 copies of each

Origin 1 - 6 - obscene amounts not befitting a non-store individual

All Lee/Loeb Batman - 10 copies each, including reprints

I don't know current amounts since most of these have been sold in lots or slabbed then sold. They are in my boxzes somewhere in unknown quantities.

Recent hoards I've been building

ASM 59 - 8 copies

ASM 300 - 5 copies

Defenders 1 - 4 copies

Defenders 10 - 4 copies

Lois Lane Bondage/innuendo covers - 2 or more of each

I think it is more that I'm disorganized in my buys and filing. I don't intentionally hoard for the most part - it just happens frown.gif

Hmmmmmmm I am a Hoarder with quite a few books... smirk.gif..many of you guys beat me on some great stuff through.

Lets see here is a quick list

Good Stuff

40+ Wolverine #1 Regular Series

40+ Uncanny X-men #266

250 to 350 Silver Spiderman #1's

Marvel Transformers Late issues #60 to 78 packed long box full of multiples

Wolverine Limited Series 5 of each #1 to 4

I loved finding these in a collection I bought 2 years ago Superman #423 and Action Comics #583 both parts Superman Alan Moore story 125 to 150 sets..... smirk.gif

Bad Stuff

3 Diamond Boxes Punisher War Journal #9 to 12

Diamond Box of Wildcats #1

Most copies of single books I have handled X-men #1 all 5 covers 1,500 copies of each cover 1A to 1D and 500 of 1E over 3 years ughhhhhhhhhh 893frustrated.gif

250 to 350 Silver Spiderman #1's

Are you sure you meant to list this on your 'good stuff' list? grin.giftongue.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif come to think of it no more like medium okay stuff in volume smirk.gif

Wow, interesting lists guys. I think we all have hoarded books at one time or another. Here's some off the top of my head:

Spiderman 1990 100 copies

Daredevil 181, 183, 184 5-10 copies

X-Men 137 10 copies

Spiderman 253 30 copies

Thor 338 20 copies

X-Men 281 20 copies

X-Men #1, X-Force#1 50 copies, Turok #1 50 copies. After this, I think I quit buying multiples.

Wow, interesting lists guys. I think we all have hoarded books at one time or another.

Every few months when this topic pops up in one guise or another I feel like the proverbial square peg....I have near 7000 comics and only about 40 'doubles'.... Whenever I get a book I already own it has to go...

The only book I ever bought two copies of was ASM v2 #36.... and that's because when I saw it at a local comic shop the owner was just taking them out of the Diamond box...I asked for a copy and told him what the story was about and that it maybe would have a historic/economical value in the years to come.

He immediately took the rest of the copies (4 or 5) and placed them underneath his counter shocked.gif...

I was so pissed off that he wasn't going to sell any issues at all to other people that I demanded (and got) a second copy.

Dunno why I asked for a second copy, made me just as bad as him I guess blush.gif

Some comic shops in my area limit 3 to 5 copies per issue so everyone who wants them gets a shot, (limit one kind of sucks). I think it is a good policy. Stores should sell all their copies. If they keep one or two issues for back issues that is fine but with todays market, why would they want to do that? Old Chuckie says once you buy a book off the rack, it is worth 10 % of the cover price. Well, if a comic doesn't sell through and sits on the shelve, isn't it worth the same 10 %.

I've got multiple copies of many Mile High Pedigree books .Some are in NM but others, well......, there in NM+ or better. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

For any newcomers, I'm joking, so do not PM me hoping to buy my doubles.

Most of the books I collect, having one nice copy in VF or better would be great.

Also, I would never hoard books, simply because I would rather have 100 different books than 100 copies of the same book. Of course, I don't buy modern books anyway, so its not like I'm going to find a hoard of Silver-Age books anytime soon. 893frustrated.gif

Being the astute speculator that I am...I was smart enough to buy multiples of John Carter of Mars(Marvel) #1-3...Tarzan(Marvel) #1-3 and Shade, The Changing Man(DC) #1-3..... crazy.gif

I am still waiting for the prices to pique.... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I'll be happy to take some of those John Carters off your hands, just cause I'm a Sucker. crazy.gif

Drop me a PM with how much you're demanding for those hot-list items...

-Joe

Also, I would never hoard books, simply because I would rather have 100 different books than 100 copies of the same book.

So, given the opportunity to go back in time and select either

100 copies of ASM #1, or 1 copy each of ASM #1 - #100...

you'd take one copy of the first 100 issues?

The "hoarding mentality" is based purely on the idea that we would

all select 100 copies of ASM #1 at cover price, if we had the chance,

therefore, we're out there looking for the "next big thing" and

we're trying to get in on the ground floor.

Sure, it hurts pretty bad when you get stuck with tons of copies of

some worthless book (Turok #1, anyone?)... but it's not a ton smarter

to get stuck with one copy of each of the first 100 books from that same title.

100 worthless books is 100 worthless books, either way you go.

It's 1000 times easier to find examples of titles where 100 copies of

the first issue (or some key) is worth more than any other 100 issues

from that title combined.

Collectors collect, investors invest. But if collectors didn't ALSO invest

then they'd always buy low-grade, but complete books. Who's buying NM?

I may be in the minority Valiant, but I would rather have ASM 1-100. I would be extremely happy to have a complete NM set, rather than NM 100 copies of ASM 1. I say purely as a collector, not investor. I realize most people would rather have the 100 #1's. Every collector is different.

I may be in the minority Valiant, but I would rather have ASM 1-100. I would be extremely happy to have a complete NM set, rather than NM 100 copies of ASM 1. I say purely as a collector, not investor. I realize most people would rather have the 100 #1's. Every collector is different.

I understand that... but IF you had 100 copies of ASM #1...

you could sell one... or maybe even as many as five...

and use the proceeds to buy #2 - #100.

Then your foresight would have you sitting on 95+ copies of ASM #1,

and one of #2 - #100. And there's no doubt you'd pick that scenario.

ASM 361 - 60 copies smirk.gif

X-Men 266 - 25 copies grin.gif

X - Men 281-283 - 20 copies smirk.gif

X - Force 1 - 50 copies boo.gif

McF Spidey 1 - 80 copies grin.gif (because I flipped 40 back to my dealer at $7.50)

Wolverine 50 - 50 copies boo.gif

small multiples of Preacher 1, Y The Last Man 1 and Fables 1 grin.gif