• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

INDIVIDUAL or in SETS?

7 posts in this topic

Lately, I've being arranging my comics into "sets". There seems to be a general concensus on these boards that it is generally more profitable to sell books individually rather than in "lots". But what if all of the items "complimented" one another, and could be considered "sets". Here's an example of a "set" that I've put together....

• SECRET WARS 8 CGC 9.6 WHITE
  • AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 252 CGC 9.6 OW/W (2 copies)
  • PPSS 90 CGC 9.6 OW/W
  • MARVEL TEAM-UP 141 CGC 9.8 WHITE
  • SPIDER-MAN CLASSICS- Black Costume Spidey figure with ASM 252 reprint (2 figures MIP)
  • MARVEL SUPER-HEROES SECRET WARS- Black costume Spidey figure MIP

Would you say that it would be more "profitable" to "break it up", or sell it as a set?

I was hesitant to respond to this post because I would not exactly help myself in the buying part of my hobby but what the heck...

As a buyer, I love the idea of finding sets for the simple fact that it saves me money and effort. Even if I only wanted, using your example, ASM 252 and SW 8, I would still take a look at your set. If nothing else, I could pull the two I wanted and sell the others individually to recoup some of the original cost.

It has been my experience that to attempt buying a particular "set" or "run" individually is definitely more expensive than buying as a whole.

I was hesitant to respond to this post because I would not exactly help myself in the buying part of my hobby but what the heck...

As a buyer, I love the idea of finding sets for the simple fact that it saves me money and effort. Even if I only wanted, using your example, ASM 252 and SW 8, I would still take a look at your set. If nothing else, I could pull the two I wanted and sell the others individually to recoup some of the original cost.

It has been my experience that to attempt buying a particular "set" or "run" individually is definitely more expensive than buying as a whole.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM...hobbes grin.gif

B -

I like the idea of sets, and had actually considered putting together a set similar to yours, except I was going to focus on the Venom aspect of the Alien Costume. ASM #252, SW #8, ASM #300.

But, I see where you're coming from (1st Black Suit in each title). The only thing I might change about your set is I would remove the toys, and sell the books as a lot. I collect comic books, not really into toys; as a bidder, the toys would dissaude me from bidding. But, I know there are many comic collectors that also collect toys as well, so it probably wouldn't matter.

Good Luck on your auction!

Chris

I would also say sell them as a set. When you have one really nice comic it is bad to put it into a set because it would probably sell for more by itself. However, you have issues that are readily available in those grades so in this instance you may actually get more by selling them as a set because someone may want to pick up all of the books at once and would bid higher for the ease of it. Hope this help.

Have a good holiday everyone,

Ericc123