• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What top 5 books/grails are you currently wanting ?

68 posts in this topic

hey all, was just curious as to what books GA fans are currently trying to lock down,..if you don't want to say for fear of competition for a paticular book, that's cool, I understand.

here's my top 5 GA books that I'm currently trying to get.

1. Action #48 (if you see one of these in 4.0 or better please alert the proper authorities,....ME grin.gif )

2. Action #43 (just about any grade, but no brittle pages)

3. Superman #13 (in 6.0 or higher)

4. Superman #17 (in 6.0 or higher)

5. Superman #18 (in 6.0 or higher)

I recently picked up a few of my "grails", just waiting for them to ship out. How many grails are you allowed to have anyways?

so aside from the books that are on their way, here are my picks in order(I love the obscure and sci-fi oriented):

1. AMAZING MYSTERY FUNNIES vol2/#5 (everett cover)

2. Detective Comics #35 (hypo cover... pretty much tied w/ first place... will be a few years before i can afford even a low grade copy) (see Heritage auction)

3. Amazing Man Comics #5 (#1) (its in the heritage auction right now, but i'm going to have to pass)

4. Fantastic Comics #3 (saw the copy on ebay, but was worried about degree of "amateur restoration", plus spent too much $$$ lately on other books)

5. Amazing Man Comics #22 (nazi gorilla cover)

isn't it harsh when all the books you have been looking for come up for sale around the same time?

well my latest list is:

1) Whiz Comics 1(2)

2) Captain Marvel Adventures 1

3) Adventure Comics 37

4) Any Flesell cover Detective sans Batman in Fine or better.

5) House of Secrets 92 in VF/NM(yeah, I know it doesn't fit but I DO have a Bronze Age collection to consider)

Cool mix of books RyanH.

Alton, I see you now have the restriction "no brittle pages" for the Action 43 27_laughing.gif

Hopefully you'll find one of two of your picks this year.

PointFive, I'll be sure to give you the heads up if I see any books you're looking for.

Here's my top five, although after #1 all the others are pretty interchangable. All these woould be low grade 2.0 to 4.0:

(1) Action Comics #13 .... Come on already, someone must have one. I've been looking for 3 years now. Christo_pull_hair.gif

(2) Action Comics #19

(3) Captain America #32

(4) Detective #36 (because all the other Batman covers below this one are WAY too expensive) Actually, this one's not too cheap either 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

(5) Action Comics #23

I saw a Supes #6 just ended on eBay for $364.59 the front wasn't too bad, but major pieces missing on the back, did you see this auction ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Superman-6-SEPT-OCT-1940_W0QQitemZ6626674915QQcategoryZ35752QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks, I did see that...but even the front cover (let alone the back) looked pretty worn. That's the unfortunate thing about lower-grade early Supermans with these yellow covers...the covers often look quite dirty, as the yellow color really shows dirt & dust shadows. I can't be too picky!, but still hoping to find one with slightly better eye appeal.

Shadow Comics Volume 1, #3

Amazing Mystery Funnies Volume 2, #2

Mask #1

Kid Komics #2

Military #13

All in a presentable 2.5 to 4.0 (or better, but affordable). I guess they're not really grail books so much as attainable targets that I'll be hard pressed to find on ebay nonetheless.

Saving for SDCC now.

As for Grails:

'Tec #2

Terrific #4 (There was one on ebay in poor but I need it better)

Keen Detective Funnies #20

New Adventure #27

Exciting #5

I saw a Supes #6 just ended on eBay for $364.59 the front wasn't too bad, but major pieces missing on the back, did you see this auction ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Superman-6-SEPT-OCT-1940_W0QQitemZ6626674915QQcategoryZ35752QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks, I did see that...but even the front cover (let alone the back) looked pretty worn. That's the unfortunate thing about lower-grade early Supermans with these yellow covers...the covers often look quite dirty, as the yellow color really shows dirt & dust shadows. I can't be too picky!, but still hoping to find one with slightly better eye appeal.

I will keep my eye open for ya and also check my local comics shops this week.

1.) Phantom Lady #23

2.) Seven Seas #4 (looks like I already have competition grin.gif)

3.) All Select Comics #1 in 6.0/6.5 condition

4.) Spirit #22

5.) Wings Comics #89

I'm taking the year off from collecting due to financial reasons, so maybe next year. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Thanks, Alton! Any help much appreciated.

Man, these are some heavy-duty want lists...you guys have expensive tastes! At the end of the day, I'm happy enough playing in the GA kiddie pool. 27_laughing.gif

Marvel Mystery Comics #9

Sub-Mariner Comics #32 unrestored

Human Torch #12

Sub-Mariner Comics #1

All Winners #4

good luck on that MM #9

Next to impossible to find an unrestored copy that doesn't cost a small fortune. frown.gif

true, but that's what being a GA collector is all about,. we may have to look harder for the books we want, but once we get them...boy what a feeling.. cloud9.gif

I feel a song coming on ..... acclaim.gif

Marvel Mystery Comics #9

Sub-Mariner Comics #32 unrestored

Human Torch #12

Sub-Mariner Comics #1

All Winners #4

good luck on that MM #9

Next to impossible to find an unrestored copy that doesn't cost a small fortune. frown.gif

true, but that's what being a GA collector is all about,. we may have to look harder for the books we want, but once we get them...boy what a feeling.. cloud9.gif

I feel a song coming on ..... acclaim.gif

i agree, good call on the MM#9... i didn't bother listing that one, as its a bit out of my league. I do still have the print out of the cover from the low grade copy that was on ebay a while back pinned up on my bulletin board !!

Well, I was going to try for a big grail like Detective #31 or Captain America Comics #74. But they are so expensive even in low grade. Plus, I've been wanting to put together a run of books instead of looking for one elusive grail. So I think I'm going to go ahead and start working on my Detective collection.

I'd like to own all of the Joker, Penguin, and Two-Face appearances some day. But the Joker covers are my favorite. So that's where I'm going to start.

There are 12 Joker covers between #62 and #128 that I like the best. I figure that'll keep me busy for a few years.

In my crack pipe addled fantasies:

1) Adventure 40

2) More Fun 52

3) Detective 35

4) Action 8

5) Detective 1

Meanwhile, back in the real world...