• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Metropolis survey-win a CGC 8.5 Daredevil #1

31 posts in this topic

Oh lordy, you sound like me about 3 years ago before E-Bay broke my cherry.

Fraud still exists but I believe it will taper off eventually.

rantpost.gif Why?!?!? I have seen no change from them on the anti-fraud front other than them publicly announcing they'd help the cops without a subpoena if asked. There are sellers on their system in various collectible fields that are very well-known crooks...E-Bay won't do anything about it without you spoon-feeding them proof...and it's almost impossible to get proof without THEIR help. Catch-22!

E-Bay is simply not a viable platform for books worth more than $5000 unless the seller is well-known and reputable. Anything over $200 and you're on your own...E-Bay doesn't lift one finger to help you actually get your money back.

You're going to lose a debate on E-Bay being a fraud-free place, but feel free to keep trying. sumo.gif I've got an full uzi with several clips to spare I haven't fired off for a few months with regards to E-Bay fraud.

893Rant-Smilie-thumb.gif

I don't blame E-Bay fully for all the problems on their system, but at the present time, I don't believe they do enough to curtail it. Nor do the dozen or more plaintiffs in the class-action lawsuits pending at any given time against E-Bay.

The only way I see E-Bay becoming a truly safe place to trade is if the FBI permanently assigns a small division to it. Which makes sense to me...local cops police shopping malls, so the FBI should have to police E-Bay. The only reason E-Bay works as well as it currently does is because luckily the vast majority of people are basically honest...but the crooks are having an absolute field day on ebay right now.

I just filled this out and got this at the end:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@tias.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

The fraud issue aside(James is locked and loaded, so he can handle that) are you trying to tell me that there has not been a drop off in PRIME stuff, and that the best stuff usually trades hands in private? Again, I was reffering to PRIME books, stuff that's in high demand and worth multiple thousands of $$$$. I'm not talking out of my A S S, as a lot of the better stuff in my collection was not pruchased on Ebay.

Sounds like you have more of a bone to pick with ebay than actually considering what's going on out there.

Actually, it sounds like you have a bone to pick with dealers, and are not really considering what is going on out there.

Again, I was reffering to PRIME books, stuff that's in high demand and worth multiple thousands of $$$$.

There are few and far between really prime high grade and rare books listed on eBay.

The fact of the matter is that serious collectors want to make sure all the right people know about it when they are selling a book and that can only happen through a big time auction house like Heritage, or via a collectors network.

Nobody wants to hear it, but what I fear may be the truth is that we're all gonna be mostly on our own in Internet e-commerce sites like E-Bay until the government starts taxing the Internet somehow. That's the only explanation I can come up with for why they let so much fraud go mostly unpunished on there.

are you trying to tell me that there has not been a drop off in PRIME stuff, and that the best stuff usually trades hands in private? Again, I was reffering to PRIME books, stuff that's in high demand and worth multiple thousands of $$$$.

Posted this in a different thread, but I find it funny that we complain about the amount of really good material on eBay. Personally, I think we all got spoiled last Summer when basically the cream of the crop was on eBay almost every week. Now that all that stuff has changed hands a few times and has started to find its way into collections, it's slowed down and it just so happens that it's been slowing down for a couple months now IMO. There have been spurts where either someone unloads some nice books or a collector CGC's some of his nice books and the allure of $$$'s overwhelms him..

Brian

are you trying to tell me that there has not been a drop off in PRIME stuff, and that the best stuff usually trades hands in private? Again, I was reffering to PRIME books, stuff that's in high demand and worth multiple thousands of $$$$.

Posted this in a different thread, but I find it funny that we complain about the amount of really good material on eBay. Personally, I think we all got spoiled last Summer when basically the cream of the crop was on eBay almost every week. Now that all that stuff has changed hands a few times and has started to find its way into collections, it's slowed down and it just so happens that it's been slowing down for a couple months now IMO. There have been spurts where either someone unloads some nice books or a collector CGC's some of his nice books and the allure of $$$'s overwhelms him..

Brian

And to think... all it took was one Amazing Spider Man #36 10.0 ... ah, those were the days. :::rocks in chair:::

DAM:

Thanks for the info... I'll have to check that store out sometime... I also think it's very important to keep the local stores in business and support them. When I lived in Jersey, I had a great relationship with two stores in particular (I've mentioned them before) JC Comics www.jccomics.com and Deweys Comic City www.deweyscomiccity.com. Now, neither of those stores gave a discount on new comics for pull or otherwise, but for back issues, I got some incredible discounts. Plus, when I sold some of my silver age books Deweys (Dan) was always more than fair in paying a good price... but he's since gotten out of the back issue market.

I guess I'm surprised that they're willing to pay 50 cents on the dollar for trades they don't have, but I think it's great you have such a good relationship with the owner of your store.

The extended future of backissue comics = ebay

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

I sure hope you're wrong. I just got a Batman 244 from Dr. Banner for a great price that was nicer than he advertised. I would never have received such a nice deal on eBay. Most of my back issue shopping is now A-1 Comics, conventions, and this board.

DAM:

Thanks for the info... I'll have to check that store out sometime... I also think it's very important to keep the local stores in business and support them. When I lived in Jersey, I had a great relationship with two stores in particular (I've mentioned them before) JC Comics www.jccomics.com and Deweys Comic City www.deweyscomiccity.com. Now, neither of those stores gave a discount on new comics for pull or otherwise, but for back issues, I got some incredible discounts. Plus, when I sold some of my silver age books Deweys (Dan) was always more than fair in paying a good price... but he's since gotten out of the back issue market.

I guess I'm surprised that they're willing to pay 50 cents on the dollar for trades they don't have, but I think it's great you have such a good relationship with the owner of your store.

I really enjoy just hanging out at the store and as such feel it is my responsibility to support it. After all, if they ever closed down, where would I get my books? grin.gif

Most of the trades that I take in are Vertigo or ABC trades and they sell like hotcakes there.

DAM