• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Glue or tape?

14 posts in this topic

Which one bothers you the most? I have several Golden age books with small amount of glue on spine or tear seals. Tear seals , I really don't mind because I'm afraid of ripping the book more. Tape is considierd a defect . many of those books haven't yellowed yet after many years of owning them. Hope they stay the same.Glue is considered resto. I would prefer glue over tape. What's your thoughts??

I dislike tape more than glue, even though glue is considered amateur restoration.

Not all glue is "amateur"

True,

My Zoot 14 9.0 slight P has glue on the spine.

I dislike tape more than glue, even though glue is considered amateur restoration.

Not all glue is "amateur"

I meant to say "restoration" and not with a clarifier as to type (A or P).

Yeah. that's what boggles my mind . I remember Steve Borock saying in the Overstreet some years ago about collectors saying Tape is a defect , but Glue is Resto. I myself would prefer the glue but that's me. Tape will get you a blue label , Glue will get you resto! confused-smiley-013.gif I don't get it. screwy.gif

Hate tape but books can still obtain a blue label with tape on it so Id have to lean towards tape. There is a fairly rare GA book that I want to buy but it does have a big strip of tape on it, other wise I would have been all over it already.

tape is kids play and glue is "intentional repair.

I think tape should be considered amateur repair and get a purple lable. insane.gif

I'll take glue over tape any day. That it is considered resto and tape is not , I consider to my benefit, as I wouldn't keep such a book slabbed, so I 'll take the purple label discount, and toss the purple. I'm guessing this happens a lot, as I sometimes think many dealers would rather sell a low-mid grade book raw with disclosed glue, than sell the same book with a PLOD.

I agree , I would prefer glue over tape myself. does anybody know about archival glue ?? I've seen it in art & craft shops before for using on photos ,etc. The thing that bothers me is tape "ugh!" is a defect ,but something like Rice Paper which is better, is Resto. Your thoughts on rice paper & archival glue?? Anybody have any these on their Golden Age books?? What do you think?