• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just how hard is it to get an Adam Hughes sketch?

31 posts in this topic

You know now that you posted this it reminded me of a show I was at and I went over to Hughes to ask him for a Batman sketch and he said sorry and that he was done for the day.

Is he a primadonna or does he simply like to do the best sketch for the people and that is why he limits himself?

You know now that you posted this it reminded me of a show I was at and I went over to Hughes to ask him for a Batman sketch and he said sorry and that he was done for the day.

Is he a primadonna or does he simply like to do the best sketch for the people and that is why he limits himself?

He's the farthest thing from a primadonna. He does really nice sketches, he's a really nice guy and there are only so many hours in the day. He HAS to limit himself or else he'd never have time to do anything but draw sketches for people.

Heres the deal. Friday when the convention opens, everyone runs to his table to get on his list. He usually does 20 sketches and takes 40 or so names. Most dealers were in line first so alot of fans would just walk off as they figured he was full. Allison told me at last show she was tired of this and was going to have Adam do sketches for fans. So basically get on his list, she will eyeball you to see if she knows you from somewhere and then he she will just pick randomly off her list and have adam draw. So if you're not an exhibitor(or if you are and she doesn't know you) and you can get on his list in the first couple hours of con, you have a shot at it.

I have failed miserably at all the shows but at least i got an explanation from here (not a dealer just late), but i bought a power girl prelim at megacon actor auction so I at least have a partially completed hughes so i'm happy for now.

well after writing all that from past experience, i watched the video's and viola i wasted alot of typing.

At last fall's National, I got in the line waiting outside (before they let anyone in) just 30 min prior to opening. Some people in line said they were waiting for a few hours. When we were let in, I found the line for Adam and was the 30th on the list. I mentioned to him I could only be there that Friday. He said no guarantees, but stop by at the end of the day and see what he could do.

Around 5:30 I went back, he was on a break and I noticed he had only TWO names crossed off the list. I basically circled his area until he came back and started working again. After about an hour, he sorta remembered me. He called me over from across the room and said, "Didn't you want that Ms. Marvel?" I said absolutely! About 45 min later I was walking out with my first Adam Hughes on the first try!

Ms. Marvel

I've been really lucky and gotten 6 sketches from Adam in the past 4 years -- that's some kind of record. Adam is a teriffic guy and always tries to accomodate as many people as he can. He's usually good for 10 - 12 sketches a day.

Here are the 4 sketches I have left (two of them went to friends) including the now infamous Super Pets Poker Night... CAF Adam Hughes gallery

I got lucky with my first try at an AH! sketch too... basically did what the video shows and got to the Emerald City Comicon really, really, really early. I also went halfway across the country to the con (from New York). Yeah, quite a trip, but totally worth it.

Black Widow

I think Adam does slightly less sketches at cons than he used to; mostly because the tonal markers he uses these days are more time consuming (but all the more jaw dropping).

I didn't check all those links, so maybe this has already been said. But I subscribe to his newsgroup thing and he's said he's doing it differently this year. Everyone lines up and puts their name and drawing/character on a list. He chooses randomly. So the first person in line may or may not get a sketch. The last person is just as likely as the first. At least, that's the way it is this summer.

Yup -- that's what Allison is saying.

1) No dealers, not professionals. Just people with general admission badges.

2) Get in line and get your name on the list. Once the line is gone Adam will start picking sketches off the list and get busy. Everyone on the list has an equal shot.

3) Trouble makers (like have shown up in the past) have a really good chance of randomly not being selected.

I actually disagree. I may be in the minority on this one, but I much prefer his detailed pencil sketches. Some of the marker pieces I've seen have been very nice, but for the most part they seem to lose the subtlety of the pencil pieces.

No, I'm with you. I really like the shaded pencil work he was doing a few years ago. The markers (and none of that Sharpie craap) are nice too.

No, I'm with you. I really like the shaded pencil work he was doing a few years ago. The markers (and none of that Sharpie craap) are nice too.

One of mine is done in Sharpie. And it is far from [embarrassing lack of self control]. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Though I'd love to have one done in pencil.

One of mine is done in Sharpie. And it is far from [embarrassing lack of self control]. 893naughty-thumb.gif

HA! Apparently you can't say cr ap. Even my mom was OK with that one. 27_laughing.gif

I wasn't saying that the drawings are craap rather that Sharpie is craap. I hate, hate, hate them -- especially if I'm going to spend $100 on a sketch. The last thing I want is my drawing to turn blue and yellow in 2 years. Christo_pull_hair.gif

I wasn't saying that the drawings are craap rather that Sharpie is craap. I hate, hate, hate them -- especially if I'm going to spend $100 on a sketch. The last thing I want is my drawing to turn blue and yellow in 2 years. Christo_pull_hair.gif

No I understand. While I love my AH Catwoman sketch I'd never put it on the wall in a million years. Since 90% of it is inked with sharpie it will stay tucked away in my portfolio ...