• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just how hard is it to get an Adam Hughes sketch?

31 posts in this topic

I wasn't saying that the drawings are craap rather that Sharpie is craap. I hate, hate, hate them -- especially if I'm going to spend $100 on a sketch. The last thing I want is my drawing to turn blue and yellow in 2 years. Christo_pull_hair.gif

No I understand. While I love my AH Catwoman sketch I'd never put it on the wall in a million years. Since 90% of it is inked with sharpie it will stay tucked away in my portfolio ...

There is no longer a need to fear. Adam now uses Pitt, India ink pens on all of his con sketches.

I wasn't saying that the drawings are craap rather that Sharpie is craap. I hate, hate, hate them -- especially if I'm going to spend $100 on a sketch. The last thing I want is my drawing to turn blue and yellow in 2 years. Christo_pull_hair.gif

No I understand. While I love my AH Catwoman sketch I'd never put it on the wall in a million years. Since 90% of it is inked with sharpie it will stay tucked away in my portfolio ...

There is no longer a need to fear. Adam now uses Pitt, India ink pens on all of his con sketches.

Which means my second AH sketch is safe. thumbsup2.gif

gonna be dunce here...Sharpie ink goes bad after 2 years? or only after exposure in sunlight?

s

gonna be dunce here...Sharpie ink goes bad after 2 years? or only after exposure in sunlight?

I will try to find the links but there are Starlin Captain Marvel pieces that are light purple to beige now because they were inked in sharpie. I don't know how long ago they got that way, but they have not gotten better over time.

Chris

Chemically, I have no idea what happens to it. However, if you put Sharpie on a backing board or a piece of bristol it will start turning blue in a year. It can/will also bleed through the board and leave a really nice yellow reverse image on the back of whatever it is on.

Since so many artists use it at cons these days I bring my own pens. If I see (or smell) a Sharpie on their table I will ask them to do my sketch with my pens.

Chemically, I have no idea what happens to it. However, if you put Sharpie on a backing board or a piece of bristol it will start turning blue in a year. It can/will also bleed through the board and leave a really nice yellow reverse image on the back of whatever it is on.

Since so many artists use it at cons these days I bring my own pens. If I see (or smell) a Sharpie on their table I will ask them to do my sketch with my pens.

Jeff....do the artists agree with that or do you have problems with your request of them usin' your pen. Just wonderin'.

Thanks,

Hart

which pens do you bring?

I bring Pitt pens (thanks to Adam's suggestion). They come in a 4 pack and in 3 or 4 tones -- black, cepia, red and maybe grey. Each 4 pack is about $8.

No one has ever given me a hard time about it. I just ask them if they would mind using my pens. Sometimes they will ask me what, why, etc. and I just explain. After that they are all cool with it. In fact a few of them have started using them for all of their sketches.

I've never been that interested in getting a sketch done until a year ago I had Tony De Zuniga do a Jonah Hex for me that looks really great. As far as Adam Hughes is concerned what does he typically charge?

$100 a sketch.

Hi Everyone,

Just to add to Powajemes' post by identifying the "newsgroup thing" he refers to as the Adam Hughes Yahoo group known as Hughes-Fans. If you would like to know about Adam's current/future projects, would like to chat with fellow fans (current membership is 5,500) or find out where Adam will next be appearing, please feel free to check out the group at -

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hughes-fans/

There are also many wonderful examples of work located within the Files and Photos sections of the group which are worth checking out. Hope to see some of you there smile.gif Regards,

Royd

Moderator, Hughes-Fans

http://outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed.com/bq3og (Visit here to see some lovely AH! originals)