• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show me this S.A Crash............

230 posts in this topic

I believe the "right" GA book will give you a bigger bang for your buck and be able to appreciate more in value over time as compare to the current high-priced high CGC graded Bronze / Modern or non-key Silver book.

Sorry, I have to disagree strongly on that. Golden Age books are much harder to find then Silver and Bronze, especially in high grade. True enough. However, I think the collector base for GA is declining and will continue to decline. I think the majority of collectors are between 20 and 40 years old. G A books just have no appeal to most in that age range. Not only were they not buying those books as kids but the characters are no longer around. There is no continuity linking them to present day characters(with some obvious exeptions). The fact that they are so hard to find also works against them, since for most people it is just a completely unattainable goal to put together a full run of a GA title. You can start collecting Spiderman today and be able to put together a complete run of that characters' book within a few years, grade of books dependant on budget. But whether you want them all in 9.0 or above or 4.0 and above they are available enough that you can do it. Try putting together a complete run of Action comics in high grade. Regardless of your budget, it's unrealistic that you'd be able to do it in a few years.

There will continue to be a market for them of course but I think it will be a diminishing one.

Regarding GA and Silver Age and what is a better investment.

IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE PRICE YOU HAVE TO PAY. makepoint.gif

BUY LOW SELL HIGH. If you buy high, you have to sell higher. If you buy low and sell at guide, you've made a profit.

If I could buy a bunch of mid-grade books at 1/3 of guide, I will probably make a nice profit. If I buy a great Silver Age high-grade book at 5X times guide, I might make a profit or lose my shirt.

And remember this about DEMAND for a book. If the supply of the book is hard to find (i.e. most GA), I ONLY NEED ONE PERSON WHO REALLY WANTS THE BOOK.

I have a monopoly on that book, which I will never have on more commor issues.

I believe the "right" GA book will give you a bigger bang for your buck and be able to appreciate more in value over time as compare to the current high-priced high CGC graded Bronze / Modern or non-key Silver book.

Sorry, I have to disagree strongly on that. Golden Age books are much harder to find then Silver and Bronze, especially in high grade.

The Golden Age is the Golden Age of comics. It is what started this fascinating hobby. For one, I wouldn't mind purchasing a few Golden Age comics in mid-grade condition just for the pleasure of owning them and I'm 30 years old. The covers are classics.

But as far as Silver being a safer investment, you may be right there. For more and more of the younger comic enthusiasts, the Silver is becoming our 'Golden Age.' When I think of Golden Age, I think 'DC'. When I think of Silver I think 'Marvel.' Check out what's playing at the movies.

Golden Age is losing its fans to old age...

Silver Age is too common and will lose its fans to old age in a decade or two...

Bronze Age is too common...

Modern Age is WAAAAY too common...

New comics suck...

Capitalistic plundering of developing nations and/or the terrorist response to it are destroying everything good in the world...

SARS or any one of ten million as-of-yet-unidentified new germs will kill us all off any day now...

...perhaps we should all just commit suicide now and get it over with!!! 893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gif

Buying comics is for suckers and insufficiently_thoughtful_persons and that's all there is to it. Ignore that upward long-term trend they've displayed throughout their entire history; the ride's about to be over, can't you all see it coming?!!?!?

Silver Age is too common and will lose its fans to old age in a decade or two...

New comics suck...

Capitalistic plundering of developing nations and/or the terrorist response to it are destroying everything good in the world...

SARS or any one of ten million as-of-yet-unidentified new germs will kill us all off any day now...

...perhaps we should all just commit suicide now and get it over with!!! 893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gif

Buying comics is for suckers and insufficiently_thoughtful_persons and that's all there is to it. Ignore that upward long-term trend they've displayed throughout their entire history; the ride's about to be over, <font size=5>can't you all see it coming?!!?!?</font>

Joe- You logged in under FF's account! blush.gif

Buying comics is for suckers and insufficiently_thoughtful_persons and that's all there is to it. Ignore that upward long-term trend they've displayed throughout their entire history; the ride's about to be over, can't you all see it coming?!!?!?

Finally, a voice of reason amidst the ruins of moral decay and capitalism that is the back issue comic book industry as we know it today! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I feel better already. So nice to see the bright, smiley Thanos face back again. I still think you should have gone with Apocolypse Joe though - maybe that will be my ebay name next month. But can you really label this as a crash when CGC graded books still sell for more than the books would ever bring raw? Some people overpaid for cgc books because they had to get theirs first, because they were sucked into movie hype, because they were clueless. however a lot of us are more patient and have been waiting for prices to adjust. Have you ever bought a hot new car? The type of car that has a lot of hype. Like a Z3 when the y first came out - or any hot/new sports car when they first appear? Dealers charge above sticker and p[eople pay the price because they have to have it now! Tht is a lot like what happened with early high grade cgc books. You can buy them cheaper now but certainly no flatline.

New comics suck...

OH NO!!! It's contagious. I'm outta here before I get it too.

I feel better already. So nice to see the bright, smiley Thanos face back again.

I think people should actually get their own Avatars, rather than just scamming others.

Some people overpaid for cgc books because they had to get theirs first, because they were sucked into movie hype, because they were clueless. however a lot of us are more patient and have been waiting for prices to adjust.

I just love this non-argument. From this perspective, there has never been a crash, as all the smart money moved away from the speculative books long before prices dropped.

Just replace "CGC" with "Valiant" and see how it works.

But can you really label this as a crash when CGC graded books still sell for more than the books would ever bring raw? Some people overpaid for cgc books because they had to get theirs first, because they were sucked into movie hype, because they were clueless.

Speaking of clueless, I'll be laughing all the way to early retirement while the specs are cracking open their CGC cases in a futile attempt to try and seal off the leaks in the cardboard boxes they're sleeping in!! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Interpretation: I found someone who agrees with me!

Hey, I've been there, done that, and am well-versed in the progression of the graded collectibles market. I know how those markets have always been manipulated from day one by those that gain to benefit the most from it's short-lived vitality. mad.gif Inevitably, they only end up driving the specs to the edge of the cliff with no regard to the long-term viability of the hobby they're profiteering from.

I think people should actually get their own Avatars, rather than just scamming others.

Yeah, like a cigar-chewing, trash-talking, pointy-haired Canadian superhero avatar is an original idea...gee, whoda thunk of that?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You low-IQ simpletons are degrading my Mensa scores...man, I'm outta here... 893frustrated.gif

Yeah, like a cigar-chewing, trash-talking, pointy-haired Canadian superhero avatar is an original idea...gee, whoda thunk of that??

That's not the point you pinhead thief, it's that you're using the EXACT SAME IMAGE.

At least you admit to having no skill at image manipulation, and are likely using one of those killer WebTV units to post your messages.

Finally, a voice of reason amidst the ruins of moral decay and capitalism that is the back issue comic book industry as we know it today! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Yup. They've been saying that ever since the '50's. And I just know they're gonna be right eventually. Gonna be any year now Yup.......any year now.

aaaaaaaaaaaa......Yer all just a buncha' chicken littles.

Oh, the sky is falling, the sky is falling..... 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

Yup. They've been saying that ever since the '50's.

What in the world are you talking about?

smile.gifThe all-too-often talked about demise of the comic book. I do remember reading (somewhere) there was a huge drop-off in comic books being sold in the '50's. Many people were thinking (like now) the eventual demise of this medium. Something to do with the comics code authority? Sorry, can't remember exactly. But I just wanted to expand on FF's initial post about the eventual demise of comics. Simply pointing out that this prediction is very old news and has gone on for a very long time.

Sorry, it's a sore issue with me and gets my back up every time I hear it. 893frustrated.gif

Yeabut...

Back in the fifties it was predicted to burn out in favor of TV or Radio or something like that.

I think technology is today's comics biggest enemy.

I still think comics in some form or another will be popular(somewhat) but I really think in the next ten years - more cost effective mediums might start taking hold - like .comics - a comic done up in an Adobe Acrobat type-document sold for a fraction of the price and emailed to(or downloaded by)the buyer - no printing costs, no paper, etc....

Just my 2 cents.

Yeabut...

Back in the fifties it was predicted to burn out in favor of TV or Radio or something like that.

I think technology is today's comics biggest enemy.

I still think comics in some form or another will be popular(somewhat) but I really think in the next ten years - more cost effective mediums might start taking hold - like .comics - a comic done up in an Adobe Acrobat type-document sold for a fraction of the price and emailed to(or downloaded by)the buyer - no printing costs, no paper, etc....

Just my 2 cents.

That is a fascinating prediction. A system like that could make comic books more affordable and available to the masses, undreamed of in the history of comic books. (I love hearing positive stuff).

Could this be the next "unknown" positive development that increases demand for the originals? Could this event be the one that turns comic collecting into a world-wide collecting phenomonon.

Wow, that just blew me away. 893applaud-thumb.gif