• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Got my books from CGC

14 posts in this topic

Several threads down, you guys helped me grade some Golden Age Wonder Woman comics, and a Silver Age Flash. Here are the results:

WW 15 VG- 3.5 cream to off-white pages

WW 26 FN- 5.5 cream to off-white pages

Flash 123 VG/FN 5.0 off-white to white pages

Now you can check your scores to see how you did on the grading. And I finally know what a CGC book looks like in person.

-- Joanna

So were you pleased with the grades?

I'll be the first to ever say this: I wish they were higher.

But this board basically prepared me for what the grades would be. I think the WW26 is a lot better looking than its grade -- one of those comics where the cover is stunning in person, but there were some problems like dust shadows on the back cover. I think aesthetically the 26 would rate much higher than a similarly graded book (the depth of color is just incredible) but obviously it must've had enough wrong with it to get that grade. I thought it was in the VF range.

The 15 I expected to be lower, and was really just hoping it might squeak by into VG. It didn't, so there ya go.

The Flash 123 had a bad corner (creased) so I knew it would get hit, as well. But the interior and spine were really nice so I'd sort of hoped it would make it into a more solid Fine. Nope.

None came back restored, which is a major relief.

Now, if I can just send off some of my S.A. books, I'll be happy. Still, it's obvious my grading continues to suck.

-- Joanna

I can fully appreciate you feeling a book looked much better than CGC graded...I've had a few of those thus far. wink.gif

Grading skills will improve with time (mine have a little and I'm the worst offender). wink.gif I have yet to receive books back from CGC where I thought the grade shouldn't be different (mostly higher). grin.gif

Yeah I was kind of off on all 3 too. I showed no love for your WW 26, I guessed 4.0. Guess that's why I don't grade books for a living.

Bonds -- I looked up the old answers and saw that you had done very well. But I'll admit that the 26 grade makes no sense to me. I mean, I know my books tend to have flaws, but this thing is so darn amazing in person, I was afraid it was restored. The person who sold it to me graded it as a VF, and I had no arguments with that. So to get a Fine- is a bit of a blow. I don't blame my seller at all (for one thing, it was several years ago, long before CGC, and grading seemed looser then. Some of my books have grades on the mylar and I just shake my head, knowing they wouldn't grade anywhere near that now).

-- Joanna

Yes, greggy. But that one went standard, not express. I got the 3 expresses via joining the collector's society. the standard is the one Chris gave me for winning his trivia prize. I still have to wait for that one, but now I wish I'd sent another book. I should've gone with some of my silver age stuff. It's so hard to choose with DC!

-- Joanna

I hadn't realized that I owned 2 copies, and that one of them was in such good shape! I tried never to dupe a comic, but every once in awhile, I'd end up with 2. Out of 300 or so series 1 WW's, I had 4 duped books. 199 just happened to have been one of them. I'll probably have to sell it raw, because I don't have slabbing money right now (nor the 4 months to wait).

-- Joanna

ha! You want me to grade, greggy? Oh lordy. No, I just look at the book as closely as I can, talk about every little thing that I can see, put up scans and let the buyer figure things out. I have a lot of satisfied customers, so I guess it works. But I can't grade at all.

I have found some books that look pretty untouched -- can't find visible flaws. Those are the ones I'm eventually going to send to CGC. I haven't given the WW 199 the total once-over yet. Although I scanned it for someone else on the board, I didn't give it a close inspection (I was in a hurry).

-- Joanna