• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How About This As A Definition For Restoration Pertaining To Comic Books?

143 posts in this topic

How about this as a proposed definition for restoration as it relates to comic books:

Any attempt, amateur or professional, to enhance the appearance of a comic book.

popcorn.gif

Per Esq's request...

How does that definition differentiate pressing vs uncurling with your finger, or dry cleaning vs flicking off something stuck to the cover using your finger or a microspatula? If I bend a corner back into place, it's an "amateur attempt to enhance the appearance", isn't it? Time for a litany of qualifications. grin.gif

How about this as a proposed definition for restoration as it relates to comic books:

Any attempt, amateur or professional, to enhance the appearance of a comic book.

popcorn.gif

I think it needs to be more detailed.

As I said in the other thread, I slip comics into mylars to "enhance their appearance."

That is a little too literal of an interpretation.

I disagree. I think the definition is too general.

That is my opinion. In no way do I mean to insult or offend. shy.gif

As I said in the other thread, I slip comics into mylars to "enhance their appearance."

That is a little too literal of an interpretation.

I disagree. I think the definition is too general.

That is my opinion. In no way do I mean to insult or offend. shy.gif

None taken! flowerred.gif

A mylar is a way of displaying and protecting a comic. It has no lasting benefit once the book has been removed out of the mylar. Pressing a book changes the look of the comic itself. I doubt a book would jump a grade if it was presented in a shiny mylar. Grading is done on the book alone...so any attempt to alter the book should be considered restoration.

I believe ANYTHING done to a book to enhance its appearance is restoration, plain and simple. Many might not agree but if I purchased a book that cost $$$ and I later found out it was pressed to achieve a higher grade or was cleaned, etc...in any way I would be very upset.

Just my 2 cents on the matter.

popcorn.gif

I think it needs to be more detailed.
In a court of law, their are several guidelines, which includes many exeptions, that would protect the innocent, such as someone folding a corner crease back in place.

popcorn.gif

What about accidental???... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

popcorn.gif

What about accidental???... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That's how my America's Best #7 got pressed. I accidentally shipped it to Matt Nelson and it came back 3 weeks later a 9.0. 893whatthe.gif

Mark, could you explain why you feel this definition is better than Tracey's?
popcorn.gif

I never said that.

No comments from me yet. I'd like more people to comment on this suggested definition and what they think is right or wrong with it.

All good things come to those who wait. There is an intent to to my madness. insane.gif

Mark, could you explain why you feel this definition is better than Tracey's?
popcorn.gif

I never said that.

No comments from me yet. I'd like more people to comment on this suggested definition and what they think is right or wrong with it.

All good things come to those who wait. There is an intent to to my madness. insane.gif

I'll turn in my detailed opinion tomorrow afternoon. flowerred.gif