• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tiki covers in comics

16 posts in this topic

Most of you on the boards may not know that besides comics, I'm also a fan of Tiki culture and actually have a private tiki bar in my garage.

I recently took part in a message board thread over at Tiki Central (which is the place online for all things tiki) about comic covers that featured various images and icons tikiphiles love and decided to start it here as well.

What kind of stuff is considered tiki? Definitely the Moai heads from Easter Island, which Jack Kirby turned into giant monsters more than once in Tales To Astonish, beginning with issue #5:

01.jpg

If anyone has a nice slabbed copy of the above book, please post it! The above image is from the recent Marvel Masterwork book.

Kirby and Lee continued the Easter Island theme only a few issues later in issue #16, which is considered a "Thor prototype", but may actually be more inspired by Thor Heyerdahl, whose book Kon Tiki actually inspired the name of tiki culture:

tta16.jpg

Tiki Bar? If you're ever in Sacramento, stop by Brenda's Tiki Hut:

Picture020.jpg

Picture022.jpg

Picture025.jpg

Picture028.jpg

My tiki-ish comics are a few issues of Seven Seas and a bunch of jungle girls:

jumbo104.jpg

rulah22vf_r.jpg