• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gold Key painted covers

17 posts in this topic

I'm not much of an OA collector, only have about 12 pieces total, so forgive my question........was just wondering if there were any of the Gold Key painted cover OA out there? Anyone here have any information, have a piece they could post a scan of for us all to admire???

hi.gif

popcorn.gif

I'm not much of an OA collector, only have about 12 pieces total, so forgive my question........was just wondering if there were any of the Gold Key painted cover OA out there? Anyone here have any information, have a piece they could post a scan of for us all to admire???

hi.gif

popcorn.gif

Yep, go on Heritage's archive and search for George Wilson in Original Art. They've had some great ones on there.

Oh, and Happy Birthday!

hi.gif

popcorn.gif

I've seen quite a few over the years, from a variety of titles.

What price range do they usually go for, ballpark figure???

popcorn.gif

Surprisingly Golden Key Covers dont go for as much as b&w art, I have noticed. On avg. less than 5000-8000 for most covers. My uncle has one that I have always admired in his living room (its a dinosaur cover). I will see if I can get a shot when I am there this weekend.

I think Heritage is a better source for the current state of the market. I remember the days when you got covers for under 500 even for the nice titles, but I'm pretty sure you can still find some covers for under 1000.

What price range do they usually go for, ballpark figure???

popcorn.gif

Surprisingly Golden Key Covers dont go for as much as b&w art, I have noticed. On avg. less than 5000-8000 for most covers. My uncle has one that I have always admired in his living room (its a dinosaur cover). I will see if I can get a shot when I am there this weekend.

thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gifpopcorn.gif

hi.gif

popcorn.gif

I have this painted cover from my favourite Gold Key title, LOST IN SPACE. This one date from the 1960s, for # 28. I have another LOST IN SPACE piece in my CAF Galleries (click onto the link at the bottom):

10pu3he.jpg

I have this painted cover from my favourite Gold Key title, LOST IN SPACE. This one date from the 1960s, for # 28. I have another LOST IN SPACE piece in my CAF Galleries (click onto the link at the bottom):

10pu3he.jpg

That's a really nice piece. 893applaud-thumb.gif

As for the rest of your collection: 893whatthe.gifhail.gif

Funny thing about the GK Lost in space' books.......did the writer's or artist's ever once watch the Television show?!? The comics had next to nothing to do with the TV show. Christo_pull_hair.gif

[quoteThat's a really nice piece. 893applaud-thumb.gif

As for the rest of your collection: 893whatthe.gifhail.gif

Funny thing about the GK Lost in space' books.......did the writer's or artist's ever once watch the Television show?!? The comics had next to nothing to do with the TV show. Christo_pull_hair.gif

Actually, SPACE FAMILY ROBINSON predates the TV series and had absolutely no connection with it - other than the (later) title evolution to SPACE FAMILY ROBINSON, LOST IN SPACE (presumably to cash in on the Irwin Allen series) .

Yeah, I knew it started before the television show, but you'd think there would've been some effort to tie the two together, what with adopting the same title. confused-smiley-013.gif

Yeah, I knew it started before the television show, but you'd think there would've been some effort to tie the two together, what with adopting the same title. confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't see how, bearing in mind the comic-book had its own established characters and hardware.

After a promising start the TV series quickly degenerated into silliness. insane.gif

I really like your Space Family cover, and I know not everyone appreciates those books like I do! I underbid (by a about a grand) a couple of years ago on Ebay for the cover to issue 11. I also have a friend who owns the cover to number 3. Anyone else have any Space Family Robinson covers? I sure would like to see the scans.

I don't see how, bearing in mind the comic-book had its own established characters and hardware.

After a promising start the TV series quickly degenerated into silliness. insane.gif

You know something, I have the very first issue & I've never even read the dang thing. foreheadslap.gifsorry.gif

I've got the first season on DVD and it really was a pretty good show to start with. I do enjoy some of the campy & silliness that came about later though. Some great stuff in, there despite it all. I use to enjoy keeping track of some of the props you'd see in other Irwin Allen shows........I'd see things that would show up in "It's about Time"*, "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea", Time Tunnel"....... 893blahblah.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif

* The space ship was even in a Gilligan's Island or two.