• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unusual Back Cover ad

9 posts in this topic

I know there was once a thread featuring odd back cover ads, but I did a search and couldn't find it ( gossip.gif note to CGC: the archive search tools could use an upgrade).

I was scanning a book to post in Marketplace and saw this back cover ad. It's a pre-code Atlas horror comic, Journey into Unknown Worlds #30 from August 1954. Now, I know I'm not a marketing genius, but were women the primary market for pre-code horror comic books?????

1250072-Journey30back.jpg

1250072-Journey30back.jpg.ff10d11c95e92326b93a1cb9132430f7.jpg

probably counting on Mom picking up the book at some point while cleaning house and noticing the add, plus a little titlation factor for the pubescent male.

probably counting on Mom picking up the book at some point while cleaning house and noticing the add, plus a little titlation factor for the pubescent male.

Ah, so that explains the back cover stains... tongue.gif

Not sure what the "marketing" rationale might be, but your example is not the only one. Here's another ladies ad from 1954 horror, this one Terrors of the Jungle #10:

TOJ10back.jpg

Not sure what the "marketing" rationale might be, but your example is not the only one. Here's another ladies ad from 1954 horror, this one Terrors of the Jungle #10:

What we'd need to do is track down other books from the same publisher with the same date and see if they simply sold the ad placement for the month across the line. Not the best use of advertising $$ for the advertiser but sure as heck easier for the editor to put the issues to bed.