• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Favorite comic book ad memory?

22 posts in this topic

Sure, we devoured the story lines and art like pizza! But what's your favorite advertisment from the comics you read as a kid?

The ones where the super-heroes all save the day with hostess fruit cakes stands out the best. As does the back cover of comics from the 70s with Rick Barry and Dr. J engaged in a shootout over Chuck Taylors! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Here's a great WWII GA ad that compares a kid's body to a tank needing fuel. Basically it touts the newest, bestest tank of the US Army then tells kids that to get that strong, they need to eat Baby Ruth candy bars. However, the clincher is that in the corner they tell the kids that if they can't find Baby Ruth candy bars it's because Uncle Sam's needs come first. Sure, get the kids ready to be super-tanks with their Dextrose-laden "food energy" and then keep them all for the troops!

Sensation40B.jpg

But my favorite might this incredibly politically incorrect ad for Daisy Air Rifles (which always makes me think of "A Christmas Story") where shootin' is good for kids, and "Injuns" talk funny. Yowza!

WW25B.jpg

I fondly remember the...

• 1,000 Army Men Set,

• $13.99? Fishing Rod and Tackle Set (which i bought and was thrilled with)

and how about... "sell grit" with all the prizes?

or the "unreal" products: X-ray glasses, hovercrafts, rocketman flying kit?

BUT the one thats a true classic is the Chares Atlas? 98lb. weakling Ad with the "sand in his face" story... He gets all buffed out in a month and kicks the "sand kickers" arse!!!

sumo.gif

I love the Jack Davis art of Rick Barry...frighteningly, it bears a striking resemblance to the real thing..!

**How 'bout that ad on the back of "Reform School Girls" ? I can't believe they could even show "ladies undergarments" on the back of a comic book, no matter how racy the subject matter inside...

I think there's a copy of that book on eBay right now...with a nice scan of the back cover.

Sea Monkeys....

Always wanted the family of Sea Monkeys that

looked like June and Ward fresh off the set of

" Leave It To Beaver ".

Mom in her pearls and apron, dad with his pipe.

How wholesome, all American, ....nieve cool.gif

It's funny the useless info you remember--I clearly recalled the ad was for Spaulding, but for some reason thought it was Dave Debushere (yeah, I know I spelled it wrong) not Rick Barry.

My real reason for writing though is just to comment on all of the great Jack Davis advertising art out there. An amazing amount of work, including Time Magazine covers, ads, movie posters, etc. The man was unbelievably talented.

Agree about Jack Davis - the number of Davis imitators says it all... the sincerest form of flattery! Along with Al Hirschfield (sp?), Davis is one of the most-imitated commercial artists of the past half-century (or more in Hirschfield's case).

Here's one destined for the Darthdiesel Collection.

Check out the ThunderCat with the whip, and the other is obviously showing off the length of his "sword", to which poor Misty can only exclaim "Oh My!".

misty.jpg

There used to be a small ad in (i think) late 60's early 70's to buy these small monkeys (I think they were squirrel monkeys. I love that one because I found the ad much later (sometime in the 80s) and whn I looked at the address, this place wasn't far from my house...just a couple of miles (South Florida).

Has anyone ever considered sending a check for one of those items from a silver age book just to see if there is a response and what it would be?

Love them or hate them, I love looking at the old Mile High Comics ads for back issues. I like seeing that you can buy a Wolverine 181 or Giant Size X-men #1 for like 3 bucks, but ROM #1 will put you back $40!!!

There used to be a small ad in (i think) late 60's early 70's to buy these small monkeys (I think they were squirrel monkeys. I love that one because I found the ad much later (sometime in the 80s) and whn I looked at the address, this place wasn't far from my house...just a couple of miles (South Florida).

Has anyone ever considered sending a check for one of those items from a silver age book just to see if there is a response and what it would be?

Love them or hate them, I love looking at the old Mile High Comics ads for back issues. I like seeing that you can buy a Wolverine 181 or Giant Size X-men #1 for like 3 bucks, but ROM #1 will put you back $40!!!

Those were for Sea Monkeys...a 60's comics standard add..They always showed them in a little Dr. Suess like village, interacting with each other like tiny people.

In reality ther are brine shrimp...tiny little shimp that float in a bowl of water and so nothing as extrodinary as in the ad....hell you can hardly see them at all...total rip off, but I bet a lot of kids sent in their $1.99 .

Jonny D.

Nope, those were actual monkeys. You could order live monkeys, small cats (like ocelots) and other exotic animals mail-order back in the '60's, before all those crazy animal rights laws got passed. 893frustrated.gif

If you want to see some cool mail-order racoons, miniature dogs, squirrel monkeys and others, go here:

http://www.x-entertainment.com/liquor/comicads/comics.html

petmonkeyad.jpg