• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone know what this is?

9 posts in this topic

I'm not into the art game, but I came across this stashed away in my stuff. Looks like Spidey production art signed by Mick Zeck. It is mounted on this thick board stock.

Anyway, not my cup of tea. Should I bother trying to sell it or put it away never to be seen again?

asm_oa.jpg

Edit: I see it's a page from ASM 294, the Kraven's last hunt storyline.

Hmm, not sure it's the color separations. There is a single acetate sheet with the *blacks* on it. The colors, all of them, are actually laid down on the board behind the acetate. Maybe this will shed some light:

asm294_oa.jpg

Hmm, not sure it's the color separations. There is a single acetate sheet with the *blacks* on it. The colors, all of them, are actually laid down on the board behind the acetate. Maybe this will shed some light:

Hard to tell from the scan, but I'm guessing that it is original color art done with airbrush and goache that was used in printing the comic. You should be able to verify that the image is not something printed but something painted. If so, it's better than a color guide, but not near as good as if it was painted over pencils and inks.

Hard to tell from the scan, but I'm guessing that it is original color art done with airbrush and goache that was used in printing the comic. You should be able to verify that the image is not something printed but something painted. If so, it's better than a color guide, but not near as good as if it was painted over pencils and inks.

Yes, that's it. The colors look airbrushed on the board. It's pretty amazing work if it was done by hand. I assume it was done with a projection of the inks from the acetate on the page. I would have thought they woud do this in a larger format to make it easier. It appears to be exactly the same size as a comic page.

Thanks, Adam. Now I at least know what it is.

Yes, that's it. The colors look airbrushed on the board. It's pretty amazing work if it was done by hand. I assume it was done with a projection of the inks from the acetate on the page. I would have thought they woud do this in a larger format to make it easier. It appears to be exactly the same size as a comic page.

Glad I could help. I have a couple pages from the Weird World saga by Buscema that are trully painted pages. Buscema pencilled, Rudy Nebres inked, and then a New Zealander whose name I forgot airbrushed. It's a beautiful combination in the original that they couldn't reproduce properly when they printed it.

Glad I could help. I have a couple pages from the Weird World saga by Buscema that are trully painted pages. Buscema pencilled, Rudy Nebres inked, and then a New Zealander whose name I forgot airbrushed. It's a beautiful combination in the original that they couldn't reproduce properly when they printed it.

There was a Valiant artist who did truly painted pages...um....Colon, Ernie Colon. I used to own a number of pages from the Magnus books that he did. They were absolutley stunning. Wish I had kept some!