• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What happened to the Daniel Dupcak thread - did it get pulled?

44 posts in this topic

"I wasn't talking about Arch's "rights" I was talking about the "rights" of the convicted when I said "People may not "like it", but once you're in the system then you lose your "right" to "not like it".". "It" being having your mug shot available to the public."

Just because someone is/was "in the system", that doesn't mean that they are OPEN GAME. If that was true.......then their PUNISHMENT would never end. I think that could be construed as "Cruel and Unusual...". Let he who is without sin cast the first stone... 893naughty-thumb.gif

And as far as "Just stating what should be pretty obvious." goes, you can go [!@#%^&^] yourself with that high and mighty attitude buddy.

I can feel the love in the forum.......it's like a warm trickle running down my leg.......doh!.......damn bladder control problem. frown.gif

That "depends"....... 27_laughing.gif

"Just because someone is/was "in the system", that doesn't mean that they are OPEN GAME."

Um....yea, it does. My (never convicted) right "to know" over rides the rights of the convicted.

"Just because someone is/was "in the system", that doesn't mean that they are OPEN GAME."

Um....yea, it does. My (never convicted) right "to know" over rides the rights of the convicted.

Are you being serious.....? confused.gif

Yup. Child molesters have to register their address when they're released to protect the public. My right to know what a guy that rips off comic collectors looks like over rides his right to privacy. That’s why mug shots are publicly accessible.

I think whatever trickled down Bug's leg must have landed on Oldy's head... he's really pissed about something - maybe it's people not kowtowing to his views completely?

Arch's question was rhetorical - I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you knew that. I know what "rights" you were referring to, and was merely pointing out that different environments have different rules/rights. Stop playing "word policeman" and post some salient points. You're really splitting hairs on this one, Old...

Yup. Child molesters have to register their address when they're released to protect the public. My right to know what a guy that rips off comic collectors looks like over rides his right to privacy. That’s why mug shots are publicly accessible.

I think I'll just sit back...and exercise my right to remain silent

"Stop playing "word policeman" and post some salient points."

The fact that you think I'm some kind of insufficiently_thoughtful_person pretty much ends this conversation.

I never said that, and don't feel that way. It's just that you seem overly eager to pounce when people don't agree with your views. Others on this board do the same thing to varying degrees, but it's usually fairly obvious (at least to regular posters like you and eventually, me) that they're yankin' somebody's chain.

In your case, it feels more like bullying, and I'm not gonna sit back and say "thank you sir, may I have another."

I'm familiar with the old saw, "respect thy elders," but it's a two-way street here on the boards...

Arch, I agree with Bronty. The post WAS about comics because this Dupcak guy has commited fraud in the hobby. Is that not relevant?

As for Hammer, we have no proof that he and Dupcak are one and the same, so it dosen't damage Hammer.

I personally was glad Metropolis came onto the thread and verified that was Dupcak, and was looking foreward to more experienced members of the business to possibly shed some more light on what this Dupcak has done. If nothing else, by putting this stuff out there, it can help deter other potential con men in the business, as it can serve as a makeshift neighborhood watch.

Please consider re-instating the thread. There are guys like me who haven't been around long enough, and would like to learn about the history of the business, both good and bad. If we can't learn on forums like this, where else can we go?

Arch -

AK makes some very salient points. I, myself, had never seen a pic of Dupchak before the thread was posted. I had left the hobby for many years (Before these forums, the last I remember of Fantasia Comics was that they had the most impressive collection of books I have ever seen; this in the OS Guide), and upon coming back I learned of the scandal caused by that operation.

Personally, I think pictures of convicted felons (that commited comic book related crimes) should be available for public viewing. While Dupchak may never show his face at a major show, he could possibly make an appearance at a smaller show; where he might not be identified so easily.

Anyone who commits crimes against this hobby is a cancer to me and everyone else on these boards. That is not right! We have a chance to protect ourselves (and others) from this happening. We must take advantage of this opportunity.

*End Rant*

Chris

I had left the hobby for many years ...... While Dupchak may never show his face at a major show, he could possibly make an appearance at a smaller show; where he might not be identified so easily Anyone who commits crimes against this hobby is a cancer to me and everyone else on these boards. That is not right! We have a chance to protect ourselves (and others) from this happening. We must take advantage of this opportunity.

I agree with the distinquished gentleman from Maryland........

Are we going to get a judge judy or supreme court of comics? so where is the cupcake or upchuck or tupac dupcheck - I can't remember the name, THE THREAD can we start it again so newbies can LEARN ? (make a great example).

Thanks to those who came before us.. and endured the holocaust of DD/F. And we still are seeing results, am I correct?

AK makes excellents points, ARCH.

Knowing what Dupcak look slike would conceivably help a collector on these boards not get ripped off someday.

Judging whether Hammer was indeed Dupcak would explain a lot about his methods and, along with a history of Dannys misdeeds over the years, allow these same collectors here the ability avoid mis-dealings with online comics fraud over ebay etc.

I think reinstating teh thread would be the right thing to do.

If you took it away because as you said, "the rest of us" would also want our pictures taken down, thats a judgement of OUR feelings made by you. Many of us thank you for being considerate of our feelings, but feel the greater good would be served by leaving it up.

If you acted for legal reasons of invasion of privacy for example. a quick call to a lawyer would give you an answer.

Would it be a problem if a link was posted that led to the site where the picture was originally found? Then no one is actually posting a photo here. It's still about one person, but it's more like links to those shill auctions, than a thread about a forum member, because hammer already said that he's not this Dupcak guy and there is no evidence to think he is. Or is the entire subject, due to some forum members associating hammer with Dupcak, too volitile?

Damn straight.

What happened to the Daniel Dupcak thread - did it get pulled? Just when things got interesting.

Tomega

While this guy in particular may be a topic of perrenial interest on these boards, I had two issues with the thread:

1) It was a thread specifically targeting a person rather than discussing comics topics.

While you may think it is targetting a person rather then comics discussion, it is that person is directly related to the comics. We are all dealers and colllectors here - do you not see the connection between a fraudualent comic dealer an dour interests?

2) It posted a picture of someone without their permission, which didn't strike me as something we want to allow in general. For instance, if someone could obtain pictures of all of you and post them without your permission, would you like it?

The pictures were posted were "public domain." I do not need to permission publish a police mug shot of person - that picture belongs to me and society and became so when he was arrested/convicted. If I wanted to, I could publish someone's driver license on the internet because that is public domain as well ( at least in NY.)

So I pulled it.

It should not have been pulled, it is a disservice to those people who try to keep the industry clean. In reality , that thread and the pictures could have easily ended up vindicating comic-keys as opposed to condemning him - but we will never know now.

Tomega