• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nice HG War Books on Heritage

54 posts in this topic

The GI Combat #96 is already over 4X, with 2 days still to go. Can`t decide if I`m going to try to make a run at it or not.

Of all the books there, that is the only one I think we are unlikely to see again in that grade anytime soon.

Forget the census on these, as a lot of DC war collectors (even the super HG guys) who bought books out of great collections many years ago would be unlikely to slab them.

I have seen (or know of) copies of the GIC #97, OAAW #125 and OFF #71 that are in very high grade. But for some reason, to the best of my memory, that #96 is the only one I've seen above even close to that grade. I am unsure if there was a Salida, Newsboy or Boston of that book.

I think it could go $800+. Still a lot of time on those auctions. Quite exciting to see for a non-key war book.

Shep

The GI Combat #96 is already over 4X, with 2 days still to go. Can`t decide if I`m going to try to make a run at it or not.

My money (if I had any right now) would on making a run on it. Here's a prized and fabled early silver age DC war book in uber grade, with a killer cover byt the master.

The amount of time it will take you to earn the money i'd say could be mulitplied by 100 before you'd see another close to these puppies.

And sadly we all know this to be true.

I concur, Mr. Pym.

As for myself, as much as I love that book, I cannot justify what I know the final price will be.

To be sure, I pulled my copy out last night. I got this back in February, in an ebay lot with copies of GIC #87, #90, and #98.

I can live with this copy. Thought I'd post it.... just to show how the other half lives!! wink.gif

Shep

GIC96A.jpg

That 19.5% is a real kick in the balls.

Shep

Sigh. Once again, take the max price you're willing to pay, and divide by 1.195. Enter that amount as your bid, and your max bid will automatically incorporate the 19.5%. That way the 19.5% doesn't seem like an extra payment at all.

Ya I used to to that when it was 893scratchchin-thumb.gif when's the last time I bid on a Heritage Book, well its been a while. Anyway it still felt like a kick in the /......

I concur, Mr. Pym.

As for myself, as much as I love that book, I cannot justify what I know the final price will be.

To be sure, I pulled my copy out last night. I got this back in February, in an ebay lot with copies of GIC #87, #90, and #98.

I can live with this copy. Thought I'd post it.... just to show how the other half lives!! wink.gif

Shep

GIC96A.jpg

893whatthe.gif Living pretty well!

Actually, got totally lucky on that book. It's nice - solid 8.0 to 8.5, but it ain't no 9.4!

Back in February, a lot appeared on ebay. It was listed generically... ie 'Lot of war comics' or 'Lot of GI Combats'. That said, there were still a lot of eyes on the lot. There were no scans, just low-quality digital photos.

The books were G.I. Combat #87, 89, 96 and 98. I got the four for, if memory serves, $380. The #87 looked really nice in the shots, perhaps a FN to FN+. I bought the lot for that book... here it is:

GIC87AF.jpg

Here was the 89. I have a nicer copy (this one had a staple pop) but sold it to someone on these lists.

gic89aa.jpg

I wound up selling my old GIC #87 for $350 privately, so between the two books, I made up the cash I spent, and got a nice #87, a #96 and a solid #98 in the bargain!

Normally, these kinds of things blow up in my face, and I get stuck with a stack of hero books I can never resell. But I know the ebb and flow of these kinds of war books well, so this one worked out okay.

Shep

Looks like a very respectable 8.0 to 8.5.

The GIC 87 looks enough like my old copy that I strongly suspect that it is.

Hmmmm... pretty unlikely. The seller dealt mostly in 'mechanics and machine parts' and was an absolute non-comic guy. The books arrived well-packed (as per my instructions) but no boards or bags. The seller was absolutely floored that the comics were worth that much!!

Now, this could have been a big act, but I was pretty convinced.

The 87 turned out a solid 5.5 to 6.0, and owing to nice PQ I'm saying 6.0. It's holding me nicely until an 8.0/8.5 comes my way. Now THAT is a book that's tough to find in VF.

Shep

Hmmmm... pretty unlikely. The seller dealt mostly in 'mechanics and machine parts' and was an absolute non-comic guy. The books arrived well-packed (as per my instructions) but no boards or bags. The seller was absolutely floored that the comics were worth that much!!

Now, this could have been a big act, but I was pretty convinced.

The 87 turned out a solid 5.5 to 6.0, and owing to nice PQ I'm saying 6.0. It's holding me nicely until an 8.0/8.5 comes my way. Now THAT is a book that's tough to find in VF.

Shep

I sold my copy to a collector long ago so I would agree that it is doubtful it ended up in the hands of a mechanic.

So Adamstrange, did you sell an undercopy to a sweetie that you still have? If you do have a GIC 87 as nice as some of the other books I've seen you post, that is a comic I would love to see a scan of.

Shep

But for some reason, to the best of my memory, that #96 is the only one I've seen above even close to that grade. I am unsure if there was a Salida, Newsboy or Boston of that book.

Even if there is a Salida, highly doubtful that it's NM. While visually beautiful, they tend to be, how do you say, structurally challenged. If there's a Boston copy, it would be by far the earliest Boston copy I've seen. There definitely could be a Newsboy copy, however, and it's undoubtedly killer.

The only reason I'm having difficulty deciding whether to go for it is I'd decided to exit war books. Why? Because I can never find high grade copies, and most of the really nice copies are locked away unlikely to surface within the next couple of decades. So having this copy would symbolize all the reasons I don't want to buy anymore war books.

On the other hand, it's so nice, and I don't expect I'll see another 9.4 copy anytime soon...

But for some reason, to the best of my memory, that #96 is the only one I've seen above even close to that grade. I am unsure if there was a Salida, Newsboy or Boston of that book.

Even if there is a Salida, highly doubtful that it's NM. While visually beautiful, they tend to be, how do you say, structurally challenged. If there's a Boston copy, it would be by far the earliest Boston copy I've seen. There definitely could be a Newsboy copy, however, and it's undoubtedly killer.

The only reason I'm having difficulty deciding whether to go for it is I'd decided to exit war books. Why? Because I can never find high grade copies, and most of the really nice copies are locked away unlikely to surface within the next couple of decades. So having this copy would symbolize all the reasons I don't want to buy anymore war books.

On the other hand, it's so nice, and I don't expect I'll see another 9.4 copy anytime soon...

You want this book....and you KNOW IT !!! makepoint.gif

poke2.gifangel.gifhi.gif

You want this book....and you KNOW IT !!! makepoint.gif

poke2.gifangel.gifhi.gif

I know, I know. It's the old "desire to own pretty things" vs. "collecting discipline/focus" conundrum. Christo_pull_hair.gif

I know, I know. It's the old "desire to own pretty things" vs. "collecting discipline/focus" conundrum. Christo_pull_hair.gif

"Luke........come over to the dark-side of the Force." devil.gif

Maybe if you bought more of my raw Turoks, I could afford to! poke2.gif

Maybe if you bought more of my raw Turoks, I could afford to! poke2.gif

sorry.gif

flowerred.gifyay.gif

Way too late for a Newsboy. They are all 10 centers. This is a 62 book; there will likely be some other copies 9.0 or greater.

So Adamstrange, did you sell an undercopy to a sweetie that you still have? If you do have a GIC 87 as nice as some of the other books I've seen you post, that is a comic I would love to see a scan of.

Shep

Sadly, I have no copy. sorry.gif