• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paradise 2006 Comic Book Fan Spectacular.

51 posts in this topic

That's to be decided.

Give me your honest opinion of likes/dislikes with the CNE location.

To start, I'll give you mine:

- Staff easy to get along with

- lots of parking

- ttc accessible

- big hall

- professional looking space (this year)

- able to drive vehicles on to the show floor

Dislikes:

- Expensive

- Remote

- Not on the subway line

- space was too big, at times it looked empty.

- Hidden costs

- Nothing aroud - no restaurants, stores, nothing at all.

These are problems we will always face on the CNE grounds until there's more to do in that area. I do have a place in mind for 2007 other than the CNE, but we need to look at logistics.

This isn't a reaction really, but an expansion.

Paradise did Sunday dealer room one day shows in Toronto for a decade at the Toronto Hilton hotel before expanding to doing the one three day show a year.

I will say that there has been a lot of pressure on us to revive the low cost one day shows for the Toronto market, and it has been our intent to revive this tradition all along - we just wanted to make sure we had the time to do it properly, and we do have the time this year.

Plus we are now in a better position to bring quality guests as well as providing a reputable collector's show.

Well, we were in the National Trade Centre, do you mean the International Centre? The Congress Centre? Those are all out by the airport, and while other fan communities ARE able to do successful events at those locations (and at nearby hotels) we don't hold the same faith that a comic book show will be successful there. It has been done before, unsuccessfully.

The location I'm championing at this time has different issues, but is in an infinitely better location. It's just a question of whether or not the space is workable for our needs. It will have a different feel to it, that's for sure... not that it won't be laid back... it will just be less "trade show-y" (I'm not sure if that makes sense or not now... but I'm excited).

Kevin

I meant to say Metro Convention Centre 893naughty-thumb.gifmakepoint.gif

As a dealer my biggest concerns are cost in setting up and getting the buying public to the show.

I think the show needs a long term and committed location to be the best Comic Convention in Toronto.

I know it is a small issue but I had many people complain about the cost of food at the show.

I liked the fact that a booth was 10 x 10 and not 8x8.

I am committed to doing your shows as long as you guys continue to put them on be it 3day or 1 day shows .

It is the only TRUE Comic Book show in Toronto

John

Hey John,

>I meant to say Metro Convention Centre

Unfortunately at this time the MTCC is not an option. Inquiring about space there caused many headaches for everyone.

>As a dealer my biggest concerns are cost in setting up and getting the buying public to the show.

Both are MAJOR concerns.

>I think the show needs a long term and committed location to be the best Comic Convention in Toronto.

I agree, and we've tried every possibility at the NTC. We haven't decided to move yet, but while that loaction is okay for setting up, it's lousy for getting anyone but COMMITTED people down to the show.

>I know it is a small issue but I had many people complain about the cost of food at the show.

I had many people complain about the QUALITY of food at the show as well. But the NTC has a contract with a specific food-service provider. One thing though, almost every convention and sports/entertainment facility overcharges for food. I would prefer to be in a location where attendees have a choice to leave and get food elsewhere.

> I liked the fact that a booth was 10 x 10 and not 8x8.

That won't change for the annual 3day show. The one day shows will probably be 6 foot tables with comparable space behind the table.

>I am committed to doing your shows as long as you guys continue to put them on be it 3day or 1 day shows .

Thanks John, if things get worked out it will be both.

Kevin

Bad location:

Off beaten tracks. Parking prohibitively expensive. No "on street" parking nearby. No place to eat nearby. Room is too large, more than half of it was taken up by artists alley. The room giives the impression that very few people were there.

Well, on Monday I found out that the hall I looking at has just been sold and will be converted into a gym, so I will scratch that location off the list and move down to the next one on the list. The venue for the one day still seems intact... just waiting to get final word on the dates that site is available.

Hey Ron,

If you were given a choice between the existing location at the CNE grounds and say, a location like the International Centre or the Congress Centre (in other words someplace in the west end by the airport) which would you take?

Kev

I would take the location that

Is clean

Looks like a convention hall

Has clean bathrooms

Has high ceilings

Has parking for collectors with expensive cars who don't ride the subway

Doesn't look like a garage

Is clean

Has clean bathrooms

Has high ceilings

893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Is clean

Has clean bathrooms

Has high ceilings

Most of those things describe the hall we had this year.

Well, on Monday I found out that the hall I looking at has just been sold and will be converted into a gym, so I will scratch that location off the list and move down to the next one on the list. The venue for the one day still seems intact... just waiting to get final word on the dates that site is available.

Hey Ron,

If you were given a choice between the existing location at the CNE grounds and say, a location like the International Centre or the Congress Centre (in other words someplace in the west end by the airport) which would you take?

Kev

ugh! please NO! that means on Friday, u have to fight through the 401 rush hour traffic. even at 7:30 pm, i have hit congestion going westbound on the 401. not sure what the gardner is like.

can u get to these location via public transit?

the location for this year's comicon is good. at least, it's better than last year's hall. it did not have the garage/basement feel to it. i personally like the open space. i am not a big fan of events that maximizes all the floor space and leaves little room for people to walk through.

my only problem with the venue is the lack of choice of places to eat. a more downtown location would be great. however, parking would still be expensive. nothing u can do about that.

s

I wasn't serious about the airport, I was bringing those locations up because they are the only other alternative convention halls available to us. (Although they do have plenty of restaurants near them they are difficult to get to by public transit - not impossible mind you - just difficult).

The CNE is only psychologically remote to Torontonians. It is only a few kilometres away from the CN Tower and the Metro Toronto Convention Centre.

A more downtown location would be great, but there aren't any available.

The food thing in the facility is a problem, but not something that you don't find at other halls that are not immediately adjacent to restaurants (the Motor City con I attended in May comes to mind).

There are stores, bars, restaurants and fast food places on King St., about a 20 minute walk North from the National Trade Centre (now renamed the Direct Energy Centre) along Strachan Ave. A two-minute drive if you want to drive or carpool with some friends.

I wish we could bring in outside food to sell, or invite vendors in, but we are bound by contractual obligations not to.