• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

893applaud-thumb.gif Welcome to the boards Keith. 893applaud-thumb.gif Thanks again for all the great books I purchased from you on e-bay and the odd freebie or freebies you through in. hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

Good luck with your auctions.

fay flowerred.gif

Freebies? 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif I didn't get no stinkin freebies!! poke2.gif

It was only a few freebies, but the only thing better than a free comic is a free DC war comic.

Thanks Keith, and you've said something there. cloud9.gif

Glad to see you posting, too bad we didn't get scans of your books to see before they went to Heritage. I must say, I really enjoyed getting your doubles.

Andy

It is brutal. I simply cannot compete and do not think a lot of the books are worth the money and would be hard to turn around if needed for a profit. How much do you think the 83 will fetch? $1700ish methinks. The #45 is hard to say because I never see it around at all. Man I love war books.

Mmmm.. Me too. The last big sale on an OAAW #83 that I am aware was a VF+ that Superworld sold for $1600, about a year ago (I never saw the book, so I'm not sure if it was that cherry.)

What's interesting, is that I was reading an old Overstreet update (remember those?) from 1991, ans Showcase New England said in their market report that Our Army at War was red hot and they sold a VF/NM #81 for $1400, which struck me as a LOT for back then. Considering that OAAW #83 is easily twice as hard to find as #81, I think it could get easily into the $1500+ range.

My VG #83 cost me $440 nearly four years ago, unslabbed. Tough, expensive book.

Shep

What did the OAAW #83 end up selling for? Years ago my Dad passed down to me a small collection of silver age comics. Most had been put through the ringer, but the one book in the best condition was an OAAW #83. Those silver age comics are really what got me into collecting so many years ago. I actually tried CGC for the first time about a year ago, and the OAAW #83 came back a 7.5! I don't want to sell it, but it's hard to get pricing data on an issue like this because I never seem to see any on ebay in decent grades.

What did the OAAW #83 end up selling for? Years ago my Dad passed down to me a small collection of silver age comics. Most had been put through the ringer, but the one book in the best condition was an OAAW #83. Those silver age comics are really what got me into collecting so many years ago. I actually tried CGC for the first time about a year ago, and the OAAW #83 came back a 7.5! I don't want to sell it, but it's hard to get pricing data on an issue like this because I never seem to see any on ebay in decent grades.

A raw 7.5 guides at around $1200. What would a CGC 7.5 go for? confused-smiley-013.gif

2500 to 3000? confused-smiley-013.gif

Well, you can price it at what you want to, actually. And if there's a buyer willing to pay that much, then it's worth that much to that guy. You've got a great book there, no doubt, and if you don't want a lot of money for it, I'm your man. thumbsup2.gif

Andy foreheadslap.gif

Well, you can price it at what you want to, actually. And if there's a buyer willing to pay that much, then it's worth that much to that guy. You've got a great book there, no doubt, and if you don't want a lot of money for it, I'm your man. thumbsup2.gif

Andy foreheadslap.gif

If you have a 7.5 Our Army at War #83, do yourself a favor and hang onto it. If you are looking to flip it, I would wait until the Sgt. Rock movie heats up next year. Word is that it is in pre-production. I would say it could easily go upwards of $3k right now. Is it the highest on the census? That's a killer book either way. Let's see it!

By the way, who else on the boards has one? It seems much tougher than #81.

Shep

Picked up this today. Blinding colors, great gloss, fantastic interiors and white pages. It will go nicely with my 78 and 83. I love these greytones. cloud9.gif

gic77.jpg

LOVE IT!!! And a heart-breaking opening tale by Heath.... ooooh, what a great book.

Shep

where do you keep comin' up with these purdy books?! cloud9.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

More sweet war books should be hitting the marketplace soon.

that's always good news! any bronze in the next batch or is it all silver?

where do you keep comin' up with these purdy books?! cloud9.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

More sweet war books should be hitting the marketplace soon.

that's always good news! any bronze in the next batch or is it all silver?

Silver and bronze this time.

Andy foreheadslap.gif

If you have a 7.5 Our Army at War #83, do yourself a favor and hang onto it. If you are looking to flip it, I would wait until the Sgt. Rock movie heats up next year. Word is that it is in pre-production. I would say it could easily go upwards of $3k right now. Is it the highest on the census? That's a killer book either way. Let's see it!

By the way, who else on the boards has one? It seems much tougher than #81.

Shep

I'd be glad to share a photo of the comic. I am really proud that I own this one, primarily because it was one of my Dad's favorites when he was growing up. I certainly don't want to sell it, but had no idea that it was considered one of the more significant war comics until I revisited my collection about a year ago.

The comic is a 7.5, although I'm afraid that the pages are fairly cream in color. I guess that's what happens when it is stored in an attic for 20 years (in NJ). Still, it is a fun one to own. I didn't realize that a Sgt Rock movie was in the works?! Now that sounds like fun!

OAAW_83.jpg