• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

GI Combat #44 CGC 9.0 just ended for $1,700!!! I thought my $1,500 bid would take. Oh well, really wanted that book too.

Definitely competition for some of the keys (both major and minor). Unless you've got your heart set on a high grade copy I do think that you'll get a chance at a mid-grade copy. There are some out there and these prices should draw one out.

I was a strong bidder in this auction and picked up some nice books. But I was blown out of the water by some of the prices achieved. We will NEVER see these types of numbers again on some of these books. It was like a feeding frenzy in the live bidding.

G.I. Combat #68 for $2,600 with the juice? in VF-??? There's got to be some better copies out there of this book.

I did pick up some decent deals, by my estimation at least. I picked up this book for $300 with the juice.

OAAW #102

GI Combat #44 CGC 9.0 just ended for $1,700!!! I thought my $1,500 bid would take. Oh well, really wanted that book too.

Definitely competition for some of the keys (both major and minor). Unless you've got your heart set on a high grade copy I do think that you'll get a chance at a mid-grade copy. There are some out there and these prices should draw one out.

My thoughts exactly, if one is patient....these books at that grade could be found for much cheaper. I'm in no rush to get every trooper book out there in HG, going for completion first then upgrades. But if I see a upgrade along the way, at a cheap price I'll snatch it up.

I'm wondering how many of these books that were purchased at many multiples of guide can be resold for that much? It also seems very apparent that DC war collector tend to keep these books in their collection for a long extended period of time. Whereas the GA/SA Marvel collectors tend to flip them more often. Might be a little biased here, but I think I'm seeing a trend.

To be honest, a lot of the reason for that is that the books are worth more to the owner than what they can sell them for. This auction may change that perception and many nice War books will be popping out of the woodwork imho.

To be honest, a lot of the reason for that is that the books are worth more to the owner than what they can sell them for. This auction may change that perception and many nice War books will be popping out of the woodwork imho.

Suhhhhweeeeeeeet!!!!!!!

I think I picked up around 35 books. There was a lot of competition for the OAAWs. I wonder who my competition was?

I passed on these:

OAAW #47 CGC 7.0 - at around 6X grade guide

OAAW #50 CGC 7.0 - at around 6X grade guide

I was your small-time competition for those books, but in no way your serious competition. I would've loved many of those books for sale, but unfortunately you can't buy everything.

Andy

Here's 3 that I picked up.

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=825&Lot_No=44025

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=825&Lot_No=44026

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=825&Lot_No=44027

There were about 60 other lots that I was bidding on, just didn't have the smarts to bid high enough. Sometimes I wish I didn't have my Overstreet beside me, and then I'd be more able to buy these books. I look at the prices that these books are selling for, look at the guide, then shake my head. Then I look at the books and look at the prices, and wonder why I didn't bid more, then I shake my head again.

I have a thought though. I know that these books are going for 3-6 times guide, which sometimes I think is crazy and sometimes I don't. How are these prices realized in comparison to GPA prices? Are they multiples of GPA, or just slightly higher?

Andy

I was the underbidder on all 3 of those. I didn't bid too strong on these because I wanted to have some $$$ left for the OAAWs.

It's hard to say because these are the only certified copies in many cases. If you compare them to other surrounding issues, many times the heritage books are selling for 2-3X the high GPA prices.

It actually seems the better deals are in the VF to VF+ copies. The F/VF copies sell for the same price many times.

What did you pick up Andy?

These were my 2 favorite pickups in the auction:

OFF #20

I was one of the underbidders on that one. I couldn't do more than 1.5x the amount it sold for two years ago. Good pickup though, such an awesome book.

OFF #20

I was one of the underbidders on that one. I couldn't do more than 1.5x the amount it sold for two years ago. Good pickup though, such an awesome book.

Thanks!

Did you pick any nice War books in the auction(s)?

Andy G, those are three nice books, and frankly quite excellent prices.

Congrats to everyone who picked up at the auction. Those were some amazing books.

I've learned a few things from the auction (and other recent war sales).

1. War books remain SUPER hot from 1952-1972 in higher grades. Sometimes, that means 7.0

2. Throw the guide out on war books between 1952 and 1962. There are enough deeply committed buyers out there who will make ridiculous bids just to get the books they want to complete their war runs to blow prices waaaaay up.

3. The sky high prices on some books prove to me that there is huge value in raw early silver war books. If you get your fingers dirty picking out the right sources, you can find nice early books in the 5.0 to 7.5 range raw for really good value. Even ebay turns up a nice treasure from time to time.

4. Haunted Tank.... who knew!!

And finally, Keith... that was a lovely sale. Congrats on doing so well.

Shep

Andy G, those are three nice books, and frankly quite excellent prices.

Thanks Shep, I picked up some others throughout these different sales, but mostly mid grade stuff. I found that the 5.0's 6.0's were selling in my price range. I would love to have a chance again at some of those books, but we both know that they'll be in a dark place for a long time. Probably, anyway. Congrats to qualitycomix for the cajones to pick up as many as he did. (thumbs u Nice!

And lastly, Haunted Tank, who knew? I did. Well, I guess I didn't... :sorry:

Andy

The thing that surprised me most about the Haunted Tank sales was definitely G.I. Combat #91... I didn't see that going over $500.... completely missed that one.

What do you all think was the thing that made it so appealing...

1.) First Haunted Tank cover

2.) Ultra-person_without_enough_empathyin' Heath Greytone

3.) Rarity of that particular issue

4.) All of the above

Man, I'm glad I got my copy already.

Shep

OFF #20

Thanks!

Did you pick any nice War books in the auction(s)?

Nope. That was the only one I bid on. I wanted the GIC 91, but didn't bother bidding for obvious reasons.

Thanks Shep, I picked up some others throughout these different sales, but mostly mid grade stuff. I found that the 5.0's 6.0's were selling in my price range. I would love to have a chance again at some of those books, but we both know that they'll be in a dark place for a long time. Probably, anyway. Congrats to qualitycomix for the cajones to pick up as many as he did. (thumbs u Nice!

And lastly, Haunted Tank, who knew? I did. Well, I guess I didn't... :sorry:

Andy

Thanks Andy. Nice pickups yourself!

I thought most of the 5.0 - 6.5s were reasonably priced as well. Anything 7.0 or higher got a major bump and if it was any of the "Big 2" - GI Combat or OAAW, then the prices started getting nutty. What surprised me the most was even the non-greytone GIs were going for big bucks.

The thing that surprised me most about the Haunted Tank sales was definitely G.I. Combat #91... I didn't see that going over $500.... completely missed that one.

What do you all think was the thing that made it so appealing...

1.) First Haunted Tank cover

2.) Ultra-person_without_enough_empathyin' Heath Greytone

3.) Rarity of that particular issue

4.) All of the above

Man, I'm glad I got my copy already.

Shep

My guess is #1, First Haunted Tank cover. Although it's an Ultra-person_without_enough_empathyin' Heath Greytone, I don't think that'll drive that book to those heights. I think that the rarity of the grade will definitely add to it, it wouldn't be the only reason to propel it to where it ended.

Great, great books, Keith, but sad I'm sure to see them go. Athough I was only able to acquire a handful, I am very thankful to have that chance. Thank you, and cheers to a good sale! (thumbs u

Andy