• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

SgtBarneyBarker.jpg

This whole cover is beautifully composed. Is this contemporary with the Phil Silver's Show?

Dennis

The Phil Silvers show started in 1955 so one would assume this was a blatant rip-off. Great Severin artwork, though.

SgtBarneyBarker.jpg

This whole cover is beautifully composed. Is this contemporary with the Phil Silver's Show?

Dennis

I just LOVE this cover. Barney Barkers are IMPOSSIBLE to find in high grade. Barker was a Bilko wanna bee..but these books are much nicer than DC's Sgt Bilko comics.

Bill

Hey Shep, Its always good to step back and reassess your collecting goals. I have done this a couple of times since I started collecting. I would definitly send in your raw bronze to CGC, that would be my first step. Lets say you only pick up one CGC bronze a month for one year, you would have gone from 25 to 37. Small steps will make a big difference in your lifelong hobby. I agree that silver will cool down. Its hard to see books of that quality in the Heritage auction pass by and not take a stab at one but for me it just wasn't my time! In the future I will be able to grab a few..... It always reaffirms my collecting goals when I pull out some short boxes of war books I havn't looked at in a while and just smile! I saw your group shot post that you left in the other thread! How could you get rid of those beauties!!!

Larry

Thanks Larry... more sage advice. You're right... I can't get rid of those CGC books.

Great advice all around. Thanks fellas.

Shep

Dennis

I just LOVE this cover. Barney Barkers are IMPOSSIBLE to find in high grade. Barker was a Bilko wanna be..

Martin Goodman and company never missed a chance to try to milk a few bucks out of a popular show or fad -- Blaze the Wonder Collie? crime, romance, horror, western... every bandwagon

but these books are much nicer than DC's Sgt Bilko comics.

Bill

Definitely harder to get than Bilko. I've got several Bilkos but never seen a Barney Barker in the flesh -- uh, newsprint.

Jack

Hey Andy,

You got a load of them, but I hung onto a few.... The truth is, I almost got out of Silver Age war altogether to get nothing but super high-grade bronze age war. Seeing all the stunning Silver age books that have been on these boards and in auction lately, I'm glad I didn't.

Actually, maybe I could ask the guys on this thread for their opinion... I have a bit of dilemma.

I've been laying off the silver age war books as I pursue Our Army at War #200-#300 in CGC 9.4 or better. So far, I've got about 25 books, but man they are not cheap certified. I love them, but the truth is I have all those books raw in strong 9.0 to 9.4 already... in fact my bronze age war collection is complete in really nice grade. As much as I love getting the certified BA books, it means I'm passing on a lot of nice silver. And in a way, getting certified copies of books I already have raw in grade is a bit redundant.

So.... do I continue on my current path? Or should I liquidate the certified bronze books, and got for a more complete overall war collection? If I blitzed all the CGC books, I'd put about $3500 in my pocket... and that could fill in a lot of holes in the silver collection.

Anyway.... if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, I'd love to hear them. I always appreciate the opinions and advice of other collectors.

Shep

Hey Shep,

Thought I would chime in here just for giggles. My opinion would be to do whatever makes you happy at the end of the day. Only you know what that is going to be. If having HG duplicates or triplicates makes you smile when you look through your collection, then keep doing that. If dumping them all to fill in some holes makes you happy, then do it.

It is obvious to me that you have a passion for collecting DC War that is not based on what they are worth or how much they are going to be worth in the future. Just reading through this and other threads, I have learned a heck of a lot about DC War from your posts. And I don't mean what GPA is on certain issues.

I am not saying anything that has not already been said. Collect what you want, when you want and however you want. Just don't do anything you will regret.

By the way, I bought some of your doubles from your last sale and they are damn nice. I was half tempted to rough them up a little bit as they look a lot better than the majority of my other war books. So if you do decide to dump your duplicates, I will make sure they have a good home. (:

Hey Shep,

By the way, I bought some of your doubles from your last sale and they are damn nice. I was half tempted to rough them up a little bit as they look a lot better than the majority of my other war books. So if you do decide to dump your duplicates, I will make sure they have a good home. (:

lol rough them up a bit as they're too nice for your collection lol

:kidaround:

Thanks for the kind word Shawn. But please, don't rough up your comics :grin:

Not sure when I'll be having another war sale... I spent a lot of last year upgrading my bronze books and so I wound up with a coupla hundred doubles (mostly 8.0 to 9.2s) that I spread out over a couple of sales.

After thinking about my collecting goals lately, I think my plan is get my late silver war collection (ie, 1962-1968) in 8.0/8.5 and earlier books in 6.5/8.0. Hedge is right about the CGC bronze books... I can pick up one a month for a few years and finish that goal.

Thanks for the advice and comments everyone, and my apologies for clogging up the thread with my personal collecting manias.

Shep

Not sure when I'll be having another war sale... I spent a lot of last year upgrading my bronze books and so I wound up with a coupla hundred doubles (mostly 8.0 to 9.2s) that I spread out over a couple of sales.

After thinking about my collecting goals lately, I think my plan is get my late silver war collection (ie, 1962-1968) in 8.0/8.5 and earlier books in 6.5/8.0. Hedge is right about the CGC bronze books... I can pick up one a month for a few years and finish that goal.

Thanks for the advice and comments everyone, and my apologies for clogging up the thread with my personal collecting manias.

Shep

On second thought, Shep, I don't think you should do this....

:shy:

Shep

On second thought, Shep, I don't think you should do this....

:shy:

yeah. sheesh! no good turn goes unpunished!!

Edited by aman619

Another in my parade of cheap reader copies. Our Army at War 70 May 1958 -- under $2.50 shipped!

No complaint from me! The Severin story, Combat Cool, looks the best of the issue.

Jack 42260-OAAW70.jpg

Edited by selegue

lol yeah, if you liked that one for $25, hold on...I've got a few more... :kidaround:

How about for $250? If they cost $250 they'd be even better, right?

Jack

shrewd!

:jokealert:

Now you tell me! I guess I can put my wallet away.

Jack